Sign in to follow this  
DrakonLord

Experience required

My friend wants to start 3D printing a couple of ships to play armada with, just wondering if there is any form of formula to ship length/scale? Or should we just stick to guessing?

Many thanks :D

Two things: 

Jesus says,  "Don't be a ****."  I totally understand people who 3d print miniatures (a good friend actually learned old school resin casting by recreating his warhammer models)  but also recognize that FFG spends a lot of money to make this stuff.  For every X-Wing,  there's a Star Wars Christmas Special too.  FFG isn't Disney,  they have to pay Disney money just like the rest of us do. 

As for representations, FFG uses a sliding scale to all its games.  So the ISD looks  huge next to a CR90, but you can't actually fit a CR90 into the ISD hangar bay.  Find a comparative scale you like and place it on the right base size. 

3 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

Two things: 

Jesus says,  "Don't be a ****."  I totally understand people who 3d print miniatures (a good friend actually learned old school resin casting by recreating his warhammer models)  but also recognize that FFG spends a lot of money to make this stuff.  For every X-Wing,  there's a Star Wars Christmas Special too.  FFG isn't Disney,  they have to pay Disney money just like the rest of us do.

1)

*looks around and whispers* was it something I said? Because seriously that came out of nowhere and nothing. 

who wound you up before you saw my poor little thread asking about if anyone had actually found a formula that fit the sliding scale of armada? I have the utmost respect for FFG but I am not talking about 3D printing one of the ships we already have, if I wanted to do that why would I ask for the formula? I have one of every ship expansion out so far and am quite capable of putting the model in the scanner if I wanted to cheap FFG out of their money for bringing me a game that has brought me so much joy and I fully support by buying all ship expansions when I want to.

my friend wants to print a Vindicator I believe, followed by a wingless Liberty if that helps to clear up troubles and as I am the one who keeps up with the online forums, I came here to ask the community if they had any leads to start with, because I know that when I first started visiting these forums here was a couple of discussions about the sliding scale and possible formulas that explained it (or something along those lines, it's been a while now)

so I don't understand, what brought that ^ down on my head? 

2) OK to clarify for everyone else, I ain't no noob, I know that the bases are what is important for playing purposes, what I want to know his if ANYONE has a formula to SHIP sizes, and if not that is no problem, as I said above we are willing to just go with what 'looks right'.

3) thanks @modise and @thecactusman17 for responding

2 hours ago, DrakonLord said:

1)

*looks around and whispers* was it something I said? Because seriously that came out of nowhere and nothing. 

who wound you up before you saw my poor little thread asking about if anyone had actually found a formula that fit the sliding scale of armada? I have the utmost respect for FFG but I am not talking about 3D printing one of the ships we already have, if I wanted to do that why would I ask for the formula? I have one of every ship expansion out so far and am quite capable of putting the model in the scanner if I wanted to cheap FFG out of their money for bringing me a game that has brought me so much joy and I fully support by buying all ship expansions when I want to.

my friend wants to print a Vindicator I believe, followed by a wingless Liberty if that helps to clear up troubles and as I am the one who keeps up with the online forums, I came here to ask the community if they had any leads to start with, because I know that when I first started visiting these forums here was a couple of discussions about the sliding scale and possible formulas that explained it (or something along those lines, it's been a while now)

so I don't understand, what brought that ^ down on my head? 

2) OK to clarify for everyone else, I ain't no noob, I know that the bases are what is important for playing purposes, what I want to know his if ANYONE has a formula to SHIP sizes, and if not that is no problem, as I said above we are willing to just go with what 'looks right'.

3) thanks @modise and @thecactusman17 for responding

Dont think he was trying to bring anything down on you just casually reminding you if your going to 3d print don't print out everything ships bases and never buy anything from ffg

It's very random... there isn't even a precise sliding scale. I think it has more to do with overall volume than a scale based on length.

And then, if you go to fighters and transports, that's a mess... You have things like the TIE Bomber or the B-Wing being larger than the Outrider.

My ships have a tendency of being larger than the ones FFG later releases.

Edited by melminiatures