VAYASAN

Potential New player, couple of questions

Hi all, recently new to FFG and loving it.

Looking at Runewars Miniatures game as my next purchase but thought I would ask a couple of questions first-

1-  Simple question, is the game good?

2-  This is almost as important, is the game reasonably easy to play?  Let me elaborate, I myself dont mind complicated games but my main opponent will be my wife.  She loves Imperial Assault and Descent and I feel with the link to Descent....she would play this too....she wont however enjoy it if it is over complex.

3-  I can see the core set is Humans vs Undead (thats what ill call em).  What I cant quite work out is what (if any) other races there are right now and how do you buy em...are there army boxes coming etc?

4- Lastly, with the core box, would a 3x3 setup be enough?

Thanks for any advice.

1: Yes, with the caveat that this is personal taste.  The ruleset is an evolution of the flight path system from X-Wing and Armada and is done phenomenally well.  In my opinion this is the best ruleset for a tabletop fantasy miniatures game that I have ever seen.

2: I'm not really sure what you would call overly complex.  It's far more streamlined than other miniatures games in its niche (Warmachine or Warhammer 40k, for example) but definitely more complex than Descent or IA.  Still, if your wife is good with the complexities of those games, this shouldn't be too far of a stretch.  If Armada is too complex I would say this game would be as well.

3: No other races are available at this time.  Elves have been announced and will have a $60 army box (roughly equivalent to one side of the core set) sometime in the third quarter of the year, while the Uthuk (demon barbarians from the desert) should be out this year as well (according to past statements by FFG).  After that, no other races are even hinted at (yet).

4: yes

Edited by FatherTurin

1 - Yes, but everyone here is going to be biased!

2 - I would say yes, but I've also been playing miniature games for years. Do you have any experience with X-Wing? The overall game flow and complexity is fairly similar. The finer points of the rules are easy to mess up, but in general pushing your force around and fighting with it is pretty simple.

3 - Latari Elves are coming probably Q3, and Uthuk Y'llan sometime after that. So for the next several months it's just humans and undead.

4 - 3x3 is the correct size for the core box, which comes in at just under 100 points for each side. 200 point games definitely want a 6x3, but with one core set all you need is 3'.

Of note, the undead are generally considered to have a more difficult time in core set games, and rely more on synergy in general, whereas the humans tend to be more self contained and flexible.

1. The game is fun, easy to learn, and seems like it has a lot of depth and room for growth. For me it has the same satisfying tactile aspects as X-Wing. 

2. My 12 year old daughter plays games like Descent, Firefly, and Krosmaster Arena with me. I showed her the game and she got it right away. If your wife can handle playing Descent against you, Runewars shouldn't be a problem for her. Squaring up and closing in are probably the most difficult (and unclear)  rules in the game. As long as the two of you can work together and agree on what happens that shouldn't be a problem though.

3. Humans and Undead are all that is available now. The first expansions for those armies should be available in the next 2 weeks. Elves have been announced but are probably going to be available near the end of summer. It's suspected that a 4th faction that hasn't been announced yet will drop at the same time (Humans that are allied with demons).

4. . 3x3 is what FFG recommends for 100 point skirmish games (which is what is in the core set). It's a nice size for that number of troops. Use the deployment card from this picture instead of drawing one.

600_459828293.jpeg

Edited by WWHSD

3X3 is the recommended size for the core box.  The game is very entertaining, the dual dials could intimidate the wife, but are easy enough to get used too.  The game is easy to play, but a little bit difficult to play 'well'.  There will be future races that will come in their own 'core'.

Beware, once you buy in, you'll want more!

1. Yes, but biased too. Loved so many small solutions in this game, e. g. how missions and terrain worked.

2. In my opinion it's a little bit complexer than Imperial Assault. You need to plan all units at the same time and not step by step.

3. and 4. See answers above...

Edited by The Bishop

14 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

This is a question worth asking in other game discussion areas (reddit, bordgamegeek, etc.). While I don't doubt anyone here who says the game is good, you're still asking the fans of a game if they like it. The answer from this crowd will be pretty obvious.

Thanks all for the advice all.

Who was I trying to kid anyways...I know it...we all know it...ill be buying it this week 

I was probably wanting somebody to tell me 'Hell no dont buy this'.....I would probably still have bought it anyway  :D

21 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

Hi all, recently new to FFG and loving it.

Looking at Runewars Miniatures game as my next purchase but thought I would ask a couple of questions first-

2-  This is almost as important, is the game reasonably easy to play?  Let me elaborate, I myself dont mind complicated games but my main opponent will be my wife.  She loves Imperial Assault and Descent and I feel with the link to Descent....she would play this too....she wont however enjoy it if it is over complex.

3-  I can see the core set is Humans vs Undead (thats what ill call em).  What I cant quite work out is what (if any) other races there are right now and how do you buy em...are there army boxes coming etc?

4- Lastly, with the core box, would a 3x3 setup be enough?

Thanks for any advice.

1 - Think so: apparently balanced, quite realistic (simultaneous turns), not too slow, fun... well built in general

2 - Yes. Their experience on making games is very remarkable. The dials reduce the complexity enormously. But I cannot predict if she'll like it or not.

3 - No more for sale. Anounced elves (wood elf like), which will be released more or less soon and Uthuk Yllan (nomads who went deamons). Possible orcs and dwarfs in future, but they're just mentioned in fluff, no evidence nor security that they'll ever be released.

4 - Yes

48 minutes ago, druchii7 said:

1 - Think so: apparently balanced, quite realistic (simultaneous turns), not too slow, fun... well built in general

2 - Yes. Their experience on making games is very remarkable. The dials reduce the complexity enormously. But I cannot predict if she'll like it or not.

3 - No more for sale. Anounced elves (wood elf like), which will be released more or less soon and Uthuk Yllan (nomads who went deamons). Possible orcs and dwarfs in future, but they're just mentioned in fluff, no evidence nor security that they'll ever be released.

4 - Yes

Interesting on point 2 and the dials.  I have no experience of them  obviously so wondered if they were an added complexity (rather than as you say, reduces complexity).   Nice.

3 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

Interesting on point 2 and the dials.  I have no experience of them  obviously so wondered if they were an added complexity (rather than as you say, reduces complexity).   Nice.

It is more complex than the games you mention, but less complex than many many other wargames out there.

On 5/11/2017 at 8:30 AM, VAYASAN said:

They're elegant in that they cram a lot of depth and differentiation into a simple to learn mechanic. Instead of learning a bunch of individual rules about categories of units and the differences between them from a bunch of keywords and tables in a rulebook, you look at the physical game aid and match colors.

They add complexity because to really start making clever and tactical decisions, you need to learn (or reference) the initiatives of the actions available to your opponent's units.

As an example, charging is simple. You look at your dial, see they have a blue 2 march action and a blue charge modifier, and you select them. On the other hand, charging smartly is complicated. Your opponent's unit has an earlier charge than you, but might choose to let you charge them so they can dial in a melee attack with a bonus hit modifier. If they charge you first, your action will be wasted, but if they don't, your units stare at each other. And that's assuming you knew the initiatives of the other guy's options in the first place.