Sign in to follow this  
SgtDurandal

2 Self Taught Newbs Prep for Their First Tournament

A bit of an intro: my buddy @durandal343 and I are gearing up for our first Organized Store Tournament of Armada come May 21st. This post is intended to show how a couple of self taught newbs prep for and play in their first legit matches. We've only ever played against each other so this should be an interesting experience.

To begin with we've started to play test the fleets we're planning on bringing to the tournament.

Leading up to this first battle report durandal343 had suffered a string of defeats for several weeks in a row. He was finally able to fill some of the holes in his fleets with a couple key purchases and the Rebel fleet he brought was well thought out and skilfully flown.

My Imperial fleet is a variation on a fleet build that I'be been flying for awhile. I've been a big fan of running dual Arquitens with Demo but I've had mixed success with it in the past.

This first battle report is a bit long as we're still working on playing faster and editing the videos down for easier consumption. We've also known each other since he was 3 and I was 1 so don't mind the bickering. :) 

Any and all constructive criticism is welcome. Enjoy.

Edited by SgtDurandal

1 hour ago, SgtDurandal said:

Leading up to this first battle report durandal343 had suffered a string of defeats for several weeks in a row.

Several weeks? I didn't win at all during March or April!  My last win was like in the second week of February... completely outclassed.

That was a dark time... 

Then I saw a light piercing through the darkness.. a hand stretched forth.. I grasped it and found myself saved by Biggs and a smattering of B-wings :)

Edited by durandal343

To piggyback.. already posted this link in the fleet builds but this seems like a more appropriate place.. thank you again for the great ideas.. but the second run of our fleets can be found here.. well some of it anyway can be seen around my fat head.. a fix is in the works for that.. promise!

47 minutes ago, BrobaFett said:

I havent had time to watch the video, but wanted to wish both of you luck at the tournament. I'll be rooting for you!

Many thanks! The plan is to play test our fleets again tomorrow night against each other. We stream live at https://www.twitch.tv/sgtdurandal if anyone doesn't have anything better to do. ;) I'll post the battle report of that match a few days later.

Cheers!

I gotta say- cool formatting and cool mat first and foremost. My connection isnt letting me stream, so i hope you can post a vid because i can catch 30 seconds at a time and it looks like a super good match!

4 hours ago, BrobaFett said:

Ill be in and out :) ended up getting invited to a baseball game tonight ruining my "sit at home in the dark" plans.

No worries. I'll be posting the edited down battle report here in a few days. That'll be easier to watch anyway.

2 hours ago, BrobaFett said:

I gotta say- cool formatting and cool mat first and foremost. My connection isnt letting me stream, so i hope you can post a vid because i can catch 30 seconds at a time and it looks like a super good match!

@SgtDurandal has an awesome setup.. you'll see a lot less of my big fat head in the games we play at his house

an edited vid will appear when he has time.. takes awhile as our games are painfully slow.. we got this one done in three hours! Woo woooo!!

3 hours isnt terrible. Its about 30 minutes longer than you have in a tournament so have to watch for an opportunity to trim a bit out of your game because no lone likes going to time, but definitely not as bad as some people, even those I have played in tournaments. 

I got to see all the way up to the point it looked like the glad was taking shots at the pelta, i saw you adjust the shield dial and then I couldnt connect any more.

7 hours ago, BrobaFett said:

3 hours isnt terrible. Its about 30 minutes longer than you have in a tournament so have to watch for an opportunity to trim a bit out of your game because no lone likes going to time, but definitely not as bad as some people, even those I have played in tournaments. 

I got to see all the way up to the point it looked like the glad was taking shots at the pelta, i saw you adjust the shield dial and then I couldnt connect any more.

Thanks for the feed back! We have been very concerned about the speed of our play. Definitely, don't want to hold up other players.

I'm not sure what was going on with the stream last night. On our end everything looked good. I stream at a moderately high bit rate so I may need to drop that down so more people can handle the stream download. I'll be working on editing the video down a bit over the next couple nights. Hope to have it posted soon. In the mean time the full raw footage is available on twitch.tv.... including 40 mins of discussion at the end where I forgot to stop the stream. Oops!

40 minutes ago, BrobaFett said:

That 40 minutes might be the most interesting though!

hahaha.. well.. maybe for others.. I always think I'm an idiot when I go back and hear myself.. hopefully I didn't say anything too stupid :)

@SgtDurandal.. the gracious host.. has good insights.. listen to him.. most of it is a discussion of how to beat a biggs bomber ball like I took and what we're going to do with the store tournament

also.. there is probably a part where I whine like a sorry little whiner about not beating him soundly enough.. ugh I sound awful there.. I want to blow up his ships not win objective points!!!!

Ok, as promised here is our 3rd play test of the fleets we're looking at taking to the May 21st tournament. Minor changes to the rebel fleet and some fairly significant changes to the Imperial fleet. 2 Raiders were subbed in placed of the 2 gozantis.

Our first Store Tournament was tonight and oh man was it a blast. Got to play with some great people for the very first time. @durandal343 and I will be working up some batreps soon but for now I'm happy to report that we had a total of 6 players participate. I took 1st place and @durandal343 took 2nd! All those late night bicker sessions actually paid off.