Oloh

Heavy Crossbowman

Carrion Lancer is more of a guide to the force that is the worm itself rather than a "mounted soldier" - im pretty sure that creature is doing more work than the little spear guy.
Which is why its considered "Siege" and not "Cavalry" (also i totally just now realized ive been spelling it Calvary, and thats a religious thing so it never popped up as a typo lol)

Death Knights might end up being another thing that wants blight tokens. I both hope they do and dont keep the idea of "everything either wants or applies blight" for them, its an interesting inter-unit synergy.

11 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

It sure seems to fit ...

bt09_deathknightcard.png

Well and you know this means we'll see the Darnati Warriors that the Latari had in Runewars (the board game) and Runeage.

1 hour ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

Huh? 

That's  demonstrably false.

- All X-Wing and Armada waves are announced specifically as "Wave 5" or whatever

- These waves consist of a set number of expansions, all announced, released and marketed simultaneously

- Waves are only announced just before or just after the release of the previous wave

Runewars is similar, but not the same. The main differences are that there's no names, and that many, many 'waves' have been announced already. 

Now previously I'd have thought that once every faction had core set units (or army box units), plus expansion pack version and command packs that we'd see 'regular waves' i.e, say 2 packs per faction, per wave. 

But then they announced these guys so who knows. 

Except that if you jump back to when X-wing was released and through the first couple waves, they weren't referred to as specific waves they were just four new ships coming in q3 or 2013 or things like that and they didn't set the store up as having waves sections until that time as well...and Armada split waves releasing the core ships then later launch the new ships ...so yeah I stand by my statement saying that this will have stable waves once we get through the release period...but whatever I could still be wrong I'm just going off of all the news articles on the game releases and my own experience from that period...

I think it's hard to compare to other games. I don't think there is a single other FFG game out there that had 18 announced expansions when the core was the only thing released (well, the dice and play mat are also released, but they aren't really expansions). It's difficult to predict how this one is going to go.

If course it is different but more than likely we will still see releases in waves unless they decide to just have a steady stream of new releases every month like other miniature game companies do. 

1 hour ago, Vineheart01 said:

Death Knights might end up being another thing that wants blight tokens. I both hope they do and dont keep the idea of "everything either wants or applies blight" for them, its an interesting inter-unit synergy.

I hope they've got a really good non-blight dealing surge ability that Ardus can tap.

I was confident we would see the Uthuk Y'llan announced today. I at least hope when the Latari and Uthuk are released they have as many units as the Daqan and Waiqar. As they'll have three waves each I think.

Edited by Muz333

Considering this is being released differently from other games' usual style, they might just release the Uthuk core on its own then 2-3 months later release another hero + 3 units of stuff (infantry, "elite", and siege), then whatever else they need to bring them up to par. Other 3 races might get something during that, but hard to tell at this point. Crossbowmen kinda threw a monkeywrench into the situation lol

17 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

I was confident we would see the Uthuk Y'llan announced today. I at least hope when the Latari and Uthuk are released they have as many units as the Daqan and Waiqar. As they'll have three waves each I think.

Yea I cant imagine the Uthuk selling well out of the gate if they come in to the game demonstrably weaker.

Yeah, today has got me feeling pretty deflated. I thought escalation leagues sounded good, but by time my faction comes out, everyone else will already have full armies and I'll need to put a huge down payment on my army to even be able to play at 200-points. I'm quite frustrated with the whole situation. And while a week ago I was all hyped to just buy a core now, that is starting to seem foolish, because in just a few weeks, my starter force will be left behind as people buy new heroes and units and have access to more upgrade cards. But I just can't afford to buy into a full army like that now when I know they'll collect dust after the Uthuk come out. My enthusiasm for this game has kind of hit a wall, at this point.

2 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

I think it's hard to compare to other games. I don't think there is a single other FFG game out there that had 18 announced expansions when the core was the only thing released (well, the dice and play mat are also released, but they aren't really expansions). It's difficult to predict how this one is going to go.

FFG has gone all in on this game. I am thinking it has more to do with their divorce from Games Workshop than anything else. Table top gaming is so cut throat. 

1 hour ago, Budgernaut said:

Yeah, today has got me feeling pretty deflated. I thought escalation leagues sounded good, but by time my faction comes out, everyone else will already have full armies and I'll need to put a huge down payment on my army to even be able to play at 200-points. I'm quite frustrated with the whole situation. And while a week ago I was all hyped to just buy a core now, that is starting to seem foolish, because in just a few weeks, my starter force will be left behind as people buy new heroes and units and have access to more upgrade cards. But I just can't afford to buy into a full army like that now when I know they'll collect dust after the Uthuk come out. My enthusiasm for this game has kind of hit a wall, at this point.

I don't think you should worry too much.  A bunch of people got all worried when the latari box didn't have core box components... and then they announced the essentials pack.  I'm sure that any lagging the Uthuk do will be fairly minimal.  But make no mistake, Uthuk will almost certainly lag.  The Latari army box is already printing without all the latari expansions so they will be lagging behind Daqan and Waiqar for a bit as well.  Based off that, Uthuk will do no better.  That being said, having less variety for a while won't necessarily translate to being weaker or, more importantly, being less fun.  I mean, they might not be competitive right away, but I've had a lot of fun with the 2 cores so far figuring out how to maneuver the units there.  There's a lot more depth here than I initially thought there would be.

To be clear, I think it's totally stupid they're not releasing these initial armies with equal hardware at equal times.  What I mean is that this is really more of a 'temporary setback' than a crippling flaw.  I doubt the game will suffer too greatly for it in the long run.  I wouldn't let it completely deter you.  However, I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying a core right now if all you really want is Uthuk.  The game is a lot less fun when you only have 1 core's worth of stuff.  Just come visit Utah County and I'll share my stuff if you really need to scratch that itch to play in the meantime :D  

3 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

So...is it worth 62 points to toss Heartseeker and an Artifact Bearer on these guys?

Yes! 

And similarly for Waiqar ... (assuming there is an Artifact Bearer equivalent given the inclusion of Fortuna's Dice in the Reanimate expansion)

Edited by maxam

I'm really tempted to try an Aggresive Cornicen on them but am thinking that the times that they'll be able to make range one ranged attack and then charge 1 for a melee follow up will be rare enough that the 5 points are better spent elsewhere.

Just now, WWHSD said:

I'm really tempted to try an Aggresive Cornicen on them but am thinking that the times that they'll be able to make range one ranged attack and then charge 1 for a melee follow up will be rare enough that the 5 points are better spent elsewhere.

Yeah it's a cute idea with Close Quarters Targeting to shoot twice in one turn, but probably much too hard to set up.

21 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

So...is it worth 62 points to toss Heartseeker and an Artifact Bearer on these guys?

I think you're better off with the Lance Corporal, get that red hit on ranged attacks.

5 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Hey bud.  I know how you feel and, you have been around and very positive for quite some time, so you deserve to be heard.

My response, admittedly rose colored, is that this game's strategy is AT LEAST 50% knowing your army and 50% knowing your opponent.  I would guess if you spent the next 9 months playing Daqan, Waiqar and Latari, you will be better at Uthuk when they come out than someone that focused on a single faction the whole time.

i don't say this to minimize your (very rationale) thoughts, but rather to give you a bright side.  You are a very good member of the community and I'd hate to see you get completely discouraged.

(For the record, I consider myself a mercenary and I'll play whatever is OP at the time of the relevant tourney!  So Daqan it is until further notice!!) 

9 hours ago, Jukey said:

I hope we see a mounted unit for waiqar, aside from the lancer. dunno if it fits with lore though. Either that or heavy infantry.

It does.

Waiqar will likely get two cavalry units: Death Knights and Barghests

1 hour ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

When they announce the Uthuk stuff it could easily be Q3 release too? I'd say hold off from worrying until we see the Uthuk stuff's release dates. 

I bet at this point they will be late Q3 or early Q4

11 minutes ago, LennoxPoodle said:

So, they get protected because they habe smaller shields than the spearmen and can move and shoot because a crossbow is way worst at shooting on the move than a bow. I see, it makes much sense:D

The Spearmen can be tankier if they use thier +1 defense modifier.

The crossbowmen are the slowest and least mobile of all of the ranged infantry units so far. Sure, they can shoot and then slowly advance but is that really what a ranged unit wants to be doing?

45 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

The Spearmen can be tankier if they use thier +1 defense modifier.

The crossbowmen are the slowest and least mobile of all of the ranged infantry units so far. Sure, they can shoot and then slowly advance but is that really what a ranged unit wants to be doing?

Just sit back with Hawthorne and Tempered steel on em. ALL THE DAMAGE.