Jump to content
Oloh

Heavy Crossbowman

Recommended Posts

Don't see any news article up yet, but weeeee

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/runewars-miniatures-game/products/heavy-crossbowmen-unit-expansion/

 

**News just hit on the main page.  Must have just got lucky and hit the product page a minute or two before the News was posted.

Edited by Oloh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can shoot and move! At speed 1, but then again you dont wanna move too fast if youre ranged.

Also thank god they added a rule for the shield. Spearmen kinda bug me in that way: they have tower shields, yet have 1 armor and no Protected...wat...? Significantly more armored than both the current undead infantry and equally durable for some reason (arguably less durable vs reanimates)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah where are the Waiqar reveals, still don't know what special cards come in the CL and Reanimates boxes and have seen nothing on Ankaur Maro...but Daqan gets the rest of Wave 1 revealed and a wave 2 reveal booooo(hey I found my thing to hate on FFG for! that was fast lol)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Church14 said:

Ok, I'm not sure I'm seeing the balance. Heavy crossbows seem like a straight upgrade compared to reanimate archers. What am I missing? 

Blight can be more devastating than a single mortal strike.  These fit within the Daqan fist to face strategy where as everything with Waiqar is about synergy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

And still no Uthuk, before new units.  Interesting.

 

2 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I was just deliberating whether I should mention that or if I should give it a rest. Thanks for being the first to say it!

Not only that but it is also RWM20, so either Uthuk will be RMW21-26 and then a waiqar RMW27?...also are the two new factions also going to get a non-core unit with their waves or what...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jek said:

 

Not only that but it is also RWM20, so either Uthuk will be RMW21-26 and then a waiqar RMW27?...also are the two new factions also going to get a non-core unit with their waves or what...

I was looking at the numbering as well.  I wonder if the design group is/got stuck trying to balance Uthuk so they got delayed?  Or are they waiting until the game proves it's profitable before they add the fourth (promised?) faction.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jek said:

Blight can be more devastating than a single mortal strike.  These fit within the Daqan fist to face strategy where as everything with Waiqar is about synergy.

I guess in our games the Daqan players are stacking so much rally and inspiration that blight doesn't seem very potent. Could be just the local players

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, flightmaster101 said:

I was looking at the numbering as well.  I wonder if the design group is/got stuck trying to balance Uthuk so they got delayed?  Or are they waiting until the game proves it's profitable before they add the fourth (promised?) faction.

 

I Doubt they are delaying I think they have had this release schedule planned for a while, either Uthuk will end up being Wave 3 or we will see them soon...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

And still no Uthuk, before new units.  Interesting.

My money is not seeing the Uthuk reveal (for a Q4 release) until just before Latari release articles...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, flightmaster101 said:

I was looking at the numbering as well.  I wonder if the design group is/got stuck trying to balance Uthuk so they got delayed?  Or are they waiting until the game proves it's profitable before they add the fourth (promised?) faction.

 

If there was a delay in Uthuk, I don't think that would change the numbering. My understanding is that product numbers are set pretty early on. If the Uthuk are already in playtesting, they should already have their numbers assigned. This indicates that they always intended these units to come out before the Uthuk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure you'll still see uthuk realeased.  They're just waiting for some reason to formally announce them.  If they game wasn't profitable, then why would you make more daqan?  I was expecting to either get the rest of the undead xpacs previewed today or see the Uthuk.  Now it seems like we make see the Death Knights announced for Waiqar or the Darnati for Latari soon.  Either way, I'm happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Willange said:

I'm pretty sure you'll still see uthuk realeased.  They're just waiting for some reason to formally announce them.  If they game wasn't profitable, then why would you make more daqan?  I was expecting to either get the rest of the undead xpacs previewed today or see the Uthuk.  Now it seems like we make see the Death Knights announced for Waiqar or the Darnati for Latari soon.  Either way, I'm happy.

They've killed games without released announced products before, its not unheard of.

Edit:  Not trying to say the sky is falling.  Just musing over the business practice of giving us Uthuk in the lore guide and not immediately pairing them with elves.  That was just my expectation since Daqan and undead were released in the core box as a pair.  Maybe it was wrong of me to expect that, but given the way things were set I dont think it was an unfair expectation.

Edited by flightmaster101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Church14 said:

Ok, I'm not sure I'm seeing the balance. Heavy crossbows seem like a straight upgrade compared to reanimate archers. What am I missing? 

Pricewise theyre pretty much the same, and formation wise Crossbowmen cannot have a 2nd rank unless they buy the full formation. Up to preference which is better there, higher threat or a reroll. edit: also, 4 trays for the Archers for basically the same price so they also stick around slightly longer due to 4 more bodies. And keep their 2threat longer.

Archers' ability works 1-5, Crossbow is 1-3. That puts the crossbowmen so close that odds are they wont get to attack more than once, if even that, before someone charges them to shut their ranged attack up. Attack at a safe distance and you have 0 perks, while the Archers have 2 (Steadfast, while being minor, is still a boon)

Thats about it really. Crossbowmen are stronger, but riskier. They arent complete sodding trash in melee since they strike at 4 with a Hit modifier, but its still 1 blue die so they dont want melee. And with a range 1-3 preference, they will see melee alot.

Edited by Vineheart01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, flightmaster101 said:

They've killed games without released announced products before, its not unheard of.

True, but that was just for Warhammer products when they lost the license, right? Is there another time that they've ended a line after announcing product but before releasing it? I can't think of any examples. FFG is pretty tight-lipped about future products, and this is precisely so they don't have an obligation to produce something that is planned but may not be released. Since Runebound is their own IP, I can't imagine them pulling out of Runewars without making good on their announcement that two new factions would be available by the end of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Church14 said:

Ok, I'm not sure I'm seeing the balance. Heavy crossbows seem like a straight upgrade compared to reanimate archers. What am I missing? 

I think you are underestimating how crippling Blight from the Reanimate Archers gets when they take Combat Ingenuity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Budgernaut said:

True, but that was just for Warhammer products when they lost the license, right? Is there another time that they've ended a line after announcing product but before releasing it? I can't think of any examples. FFG is pretty tight-lipped about future products, and this is precisely so they don't have an obligation to produce something that is planned but may not be released. Since Runebound is their own IP, I can't imagine them pulling out of Runewars without making good on their announcement that two new factions would be available by the end of the year.

Not 100% sure, but didnt they retract an article for Battle Lore 2nd ed and are letting the game die.  And Battles of Westeros got an announcement for faction expansions that was reneged and that game was left to die.

There could be more examples, but those are the ones ppl I game with complain about the most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Church14 said:

Ok, I'm not sure I'm seeing the balance. Heavy crossbows seem like a straight upgrade compared to reanimate archers. What am I missing? 

No blight, the surge mortal strike is only range 1-3, they can't shift as far, their rally is an action instead of modifier, slightly more expensive for the equal formations.

Those are a couple things I would say are negatives vs the reanimate archers. They have some positives as well, but it should balance out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, flightmaster101 said:

Not 100% sure, but didnt they retract an article for Battle Lore 2nd ed and are letting the game die.  And Battles of Westeros got an announcement for faction expansions that was reneged and that game was left to die.

For BattleLore: 2nd Edition there was never any mention from the company that elves were planned. It was simply expected, given the IP. I beta tested for the Undead faction in BattleLore and we joked with developers saying, "Elves are next, right?" and they were very coy with their responses. No promises were ever made.

I didn't know about the Battles of Westeros example, though.

Oh well. Hopefully Runewars sells well enough that it doesn't come to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...