Chron73

Interest in your local area

Old5R never gained a following where I live, my play group was me and two of my best friends. We had to drive over an hour just to play in tournaments as there was absolutely nothing local.

My current group consist of six, who all play various games together on Saturday evenings, and all of us have preordered 3 cores. There has also been a lot of talk at our two FLGS's from their dedicated LCG groups. Without even considering the number of posts, I feel great about the number of people interested in the game in my immediate area.

Having seen a number of people show interest in a game I've always loved where there was absolutely no interest before has me excited and optimistic that it will be in a good place. 

This all leads me to ask the question...how do you feel the popularity of nu5R will be in your area compared to Old5R?

Its looking encouraging :) I have dabbled with cardgames my entire life and moved to several countries, but rarely found a welcoming outlet for all the games I would of played. I was surprised to immediately find an ardent bastion of veteran players in my area for L5R (Well theres a SakeBrawlHouse one town over). Couple these long standing dedicated pockets with the meteoric rise of tabletop gaming and FFG's increasing organised play and visibility. You have a fine recipe for success. I can imagine even without any veterans in a given area, interested players could be far more receptive in this age of gaming with frameworks in place to play. 

I am constantly hearing glowing praise for L5R as a community, if even a portion of this carries over to new player base we're in for good times ahead. 

There's no chances it will reach even 1/10 of interest CCG got in its peak here (Samurai). There's literally one guy who want to buy (localized) CS and rest are in standby/proxy mode.

There is a real growing interest here in Brazil. Several Old5R players from all country, and even old Warlord players (another AEG CCG) are willing to enter (or re-enter) Rokugan.

Unfortunately, some has lost interest since a tournament scenario here is unlikely, as the FFG Brazilian distributor doesn't want to mess with LCGs (after failing in mantaining a healty LCG scenario with both Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones).

Edited by Arkano

I didn't play de ccg and only bought some old cards to take a look at them.

I was fortunate enough to find a group about to start a 4th edition RPG campaign right when I was going through this "L5R looks kind of cool" fase and without them my interest would have faded. Some of them seem interested in the lcg, but they are not in my usual playgroup.

However, it seems L5R used to be pretty big at my lgs and the owner said no less than 8 people already are interested in the game. I may be the only newbie. I'm still a bit weary because M:tG is overwhelmingly big there. Netrunner had a strong start but eventually died down. I hope this game sticks around longer.

Edited by Doji Tori

The people I regularly played the CCG with competitively have moved out of the area. However I have two or three guys who quit back around the time of Pearl that are interested in playing this.

I've run into people in Dallas who played during arcs I wasn't active in (or in different places for the arcs where I was).  I'm excited to meet some new people and run into old friends.

I live in the Minneapolis area. There are a number of game stores in the Twin Cities, but I'm not sure of the interest level. There wasn't much going on when I lived in Michigan. I'm hoping to find a regular group for Thursdays!

24 minutes ago, Kubernes said:

If there isn't any interest in your local area, brew it up by buying more cores, making more decks, and let people play them! I know that's why I'm buying 3 cores.

Sure, having a playset will be nice too!

That's my exact plan for the early days. Maybe we can community brew some demo decks for each Clan that can be easily thrown together, and emphasize cohesion over competitiveness. 

31 minutes ago, Kubernes said:

If there isn't any interest in your local area, brew it up by buying more cores, making more decks, and let people play them! I know that's why I'm buying 3 cores.

Sure, having a playset will be nice too!

Yup, I'm going to setup a demo table and have the store owner put up a flyer , post it on their Facebooks page...etc. Demo it twice a week until we have a play group.

We actually had a fairly strong community and had at least 8 members registered on the imperial assembly. However, the 3 biggest pillars of our community pretty much all moved out of the area within a month of each other and everything fell apart. Pretty much starting over at this point, but there are at least 4 other people preordering besides me, one of them being our new game manager who says he was big into L5R prior to moving to the area.

I am sort of "bipolar" when it comes to local meta :) I recently moved to Budapest from a small town near the agglomeration. At my home town 8 people (myself included) pre-ordered 3CS, and i know 30 other in Budapest who also pre-ordered the same amount.
For me this is more than perfect to call "local meta" so I am just lucky i guess.

Of course this will be modified after the game is released (and i am not counting the country side players who were playing with us the oL5R)...so we will see. I have high hopes.

At our FLGS in the Dayton, OH area, there are currently just two of us playing Old L5R.  However, one of the store owners told us they were planning a release event, and expected quite a bit of revitalization after the LCG releases!

I'm not totally sure about the interest here in my area, but before the sale there were about six of us that would play just about weekly. Obviously once the sale took place everyone just walked away. One of the LGS here feels that L5R may catch on more now that it is a FF LCG. Apparently the LCG's have done better around here than CCG's outside of MtG. So we shall see.

Almost the entire staff in our store in Rochester is jumping in, and a lot of our Game of Thrones/Netrunner players said they were going to at least try it, and that doesn't even include any other CCG players I don't even know about.  It'll be really exciting playing this game here and having my job be getting players into this game :D . 

59 minutes ago, ricefrisbeetreats said:

All the interest so far has been from previous players.  Not saying there aren't new guys around, but I'm not seeing it yet.  Still 6 months off.

Though, part of that could be simply because the previous players are the ones who know about it.  How many non-players even knew about L5R before the 04/19 article?  I expect that as the articles continue, we'll slowly see more and more interest.  Once the game actually releases and people see others playing it in their stores, interest should expand even more.  I expect that initially most of the excitement will be from former players of the CCG, but others will come around in time.

23 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Though, part of that could be simply because the previous players are the ones who know about it.  How many non-players even knew about L5R before the 04/19 article?  I expect that as the articles continue, we'll slowly see more and more interest.  Once the game actually releases and people see others playing it in their stores, interest should expand even more.  I expect that initially most of the excitement will be from former players of the CCG, but others will come around in time.

There's 7 game stores within 30 mins of me.  The biggest hindrance is getting them to come meet all at the same one.  I frequent the one I started visiting when I was a young-un, buying the Decipher Star Wars CCG, but not everyone likes the owner (he's a bit chatty, especially politically).

More than likely I'll be taking a Star Wars Armada hiatus to start a demo group and build 7 decent decks for each clan to highlight what's "cool" about them (a bulk discount would be nice FFG :)).  We had a decent group back in Celestial edition, but most have moved away since then and I need to build it up if I want to play.

Turns out I post that there's no interest that I know of locally and I get a PM that not only is there a group of L5R players but a store I hadn't heard of before that will be supporting OP. So, all is good.:D

If you are in or near Hutchinson, MN (little over an hour west the Twin Cities) check out the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Legend-of-the-Five-Rings-LCG-Hutchinson-MN-1714225785270820/

Edited by SlackerHacker

It's going to be huge in New England. Our playgroup remained active even after the sale, regularly getting together for Modern events, drafting, and road trips to TanukiFest and the UK...we even took decks with us to GenCon last year so we could get more games in! A lot of us also took up other games like Thones, Destiny, and Ashes, and were happy to talk up Five Rings to the other player bases. It's fair to say excitement and anticipation for the new game are at a very high level.