IG88E

Live cheating at worlds?

6 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

Didn't a German guy actually get flat-out banned for doing exactly this?  How can the same offense get you banned at store champs but only a warning at worlds?

Actually, that happened twice over here in Germany and both cases got punished with month-long bans. How the very same infraction at Worlds can result in only a game loss for the next round is beyond me.

19 minutes ago, Nastrado said:

The cheat went 5-2 and made day 2.

19 minutes ago, Embir82 said:

Cheater is 5-2 allegedly. So he went into Day 2.

I'm pretty sure that 2 losses is enough to cancel any chances of making a final cut so I guess we can rest it there. 

Clearly that guy was not ready to be playing at worlds, for

1. making the novice mistake of bumping into all his ships, and
  2. adjusting the dial in clear violation of the rules  in attempts that no one would notice. 

If there is still a chance he could make it past Swiss please correct me on that. But after swiss is at a loss then winning no longer matters.

Edited by Marinealver

14 minutes ago, pflrocha said:

I disagree.
Letting him continue in the tournament is a even worst punishment.
Imagine that, from that moment on, everyone on that room was talking about it. Every player he faced during the event, after that moment, knew he cheated and was caught.
Everywhere he goes, on that event, there will be people commenting no the cheat.
I say, keep him in play. Let him face the fully extent of the humiliation of everyone around him knowing that he cheated and was caught on camera doing it.

Most of them probably don't know yet, too busy playing. There has not been any official announcement here.

13 minutes ago, Purple Orc said:

Does anyone know what happened to Michael Carpenter?  Did he make day 2?

He was 3-3 going in to round 7. So, pretty much no matter the result, getting a game loss for that game will impact him pretty heavily.

Edit: Just got word he finished 3-4. Sad day for him.

Edited by Kdubb

2 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

He was 3-3 going in to round 7. So, pretty much no matter the result, getting a game loss for that game will impact him pretty heavily.

Will it? just a question but how many loses can you have and still make the cut? No doubt it should be revoked to a forfeit and he be given the win (or at least a buy) for that game. Correct me if I'm wrong but after your 2nd loss in a tournament that size and you can no longer make the cut, so after loss 2 winning swiss games no longer matters. Still I don't know how FFG runs a multi day tournament.

1 minute ago, Marinealver said:

Will it? just a question but how many loses can you have and still make the cut? No doubt it should be revoked to a forfeit and he be given the win (or at least a buy) for that game. Correct me if I'm wrong but after your 2nd loss in a tournament that size and you can no longer make the cut, so after loss 2 winning swiss games no longer matters. Still I don't know how FFG runs a multi day tournament.

It's a cut. You can have 3 losses and make the cut. So he went from a really good position to make the cut (if given the 100-0 win) to a rather poor position with a tough chance to make the cut.

Day 2 cut is the top 64 from each pod. 4/3 with good MoV made day 2 from the 1a pod, and 1b was substantially smaller, so yes, a game that *should* be a 100-0 default would be a pretty big deal here.

Would that 4/3 be able to convert to a top 16? Almost assuredly not - but day 2 alone is a point of pride and some nice swag.

One of the victim's friends posted on FB about how this ruined his friends day. He paid for travel, ticket and got ****** by FFG, Judges and the cheater.

Edited by Nastrado

4 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

It's a cut. You can have 3 losses and make the cut. So he went from a really good position to make the cut (if given the 100-0 win) to a rather poor position with a tough chance to make the cut.

Yeah, that should have been turned into a match win. So I guess we can't let Parker's 5-2 score to rest because he still has a chance of making it beyond swiss.

10 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

Just got word he finished 3-4. Sad day for him.

Well, that sucks. I do feel FFG owes him something. He still might not have made the 2nd day, but the decision did cost him a win

I podcast with Mike and traveled here with him, and his day was totally derailed by this. While it's true that the game may have ended in his loss without any shady stuff happening, the fact that he got the rawest part of this deal is hard to overcome, both points-wise and in terms of being in a positive tournament headspace. He took time off, paid to travel, and this is the time he got to have. Thanks FFG.

Here is his friends post.

Congrats FFG you pissed off 99% of your community

1 minute ago, Purple Orc said:

Well, that sucks. I do feel FFG owes him something. He still might not have made the 2nd day, but the decision did cost him a win

They should pay for his ticket and flight out to next worlds. I feel like that would be the type of gesture to help people see their intent really was in the right place.

1 minute ago, Nastrado said:

Here is his friends post.

Congrats FFG you pissed off 99% of your community

Oh as a note, their podcast is 3.2 Company. Pretty rowdy bunch that doesn't take themselves seriously at all. I'm sure they will have a discussion on it when they get out their next episode.

They ought to just give him a free admittance into day 2. It's understandable if FFG's software doesn't allow them to go back and adjust scores from previous rounds (without creating a huge nightmarish mess), so just tell the guy "sorry this happened, we're letting you into day two regardless of your current standing). 

And am I gathering correctly that Mike Carpenter is the guy who got cheated? Because I know that guy...

EDIT: yep, just looked at the clip again. That's Mike Carpenter alright. That really sucks for you, Mike. I hope FFG finds some way to make it up to you. 

Edited by Herowannabe
Correcting autocorrect

1. Please stop writing memes and other jokes, what's the matter of some of you?

2. The theory of a loose dial is completely wrong. He picked up his dial (not just looked at it) before his turn and directly "worked" on it. How can you know before you pick up the dial that the maneuver is not that one you had chosen?

My take(s)

1. Remember this is plastic spaceships. Tarring a feathering is not warranted. :)

2. Dude should not have been fiddling with his dials in such a way during his opponent's turn.  Whenever I want to look during activation, I announce such, and take care to make sure I don't look shifty about it. That stuff on the cast was terribad play.

3. After seeing that video, and I'm hoping the FFG staff did see that, he should have been DQed for the whole day, and thus not advance. I'm not sure how hard it would be for FFG staff to adjust the scores for a total removal of all games, but clearly there should be a procedure, since this has come up.

4. That's it. Maybe the dude was nervous, and tempted, and had a crowning moment of stupid. Maybe not. I'd not call for anything more severe until/unless he made a habit of it.

Just now, droz69 said:

Best thing that could happen is they toss out the cheater and let Mike take his place in the top cut.  That's pretty much the only real option I see at this point.  

Tossing the cheater out doesn't bother me, and giving him a loss against mike should have been a given. Giving mike a place in the top cut is less so. If they'd handled it right from the start, there'd be no need for it. He gets his win, and goes on and makes the cut or not based on performance after

The fact that he only went 3-4 (from what I remember reading) means even if he got the win, he'd still not be eligible for the cut, though depending on mov he might have made day 2. On the other hand, having it not handled right has to have affected his mental state and may have resulted in worse play than he would have had otherwise. I wouldn't be opposed to dropping the cheater from day 2 and giving mike his place there, but he doesn't automatically deserve to make the cut (and still wouldn't even if they gave him day 2 with having 3'losses)