Jump to content
IG88E

Live cheating at worlds?

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

Can everyone please back off from the judges a bit? They do have a massive tournament to run, making calls on blurry stream material takes a lot of checking. They took their time to evaluate the evidence and ultimately came to the right conclusion. This is how it should work!

They came close to the right conclusion. They still have him the game loss for the wrong match....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

Can everyone please back off from the judges a bit? They do have a massive tournament to run, making calls on blurry stream material takes a lot of checking. They took their time to evaluate the evidence and ultimately came to the right conclusion. This is how it should work!

They came close to the right conclusion. They still have him the game loss for the wrong match....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, so they gave him the auto loss for his next match? I thought they changed the results of the game he played where he did cheat?

 

(Im at work right now,  so I don't have access to the stream.) I'm just reading the info here. Very surprised he tried to pull something like that at world's AND on camera. Idiot...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Isophane said:

Wait, so they gave him the auto loss for his next match? I thought they changed the results of the game he played where he did cheat?

 

(Im at work right now,  so I don't have access to the stream.) I'm just reading the info here. Very surprised he tried to pull something like that at world's AND on camera. Idiot...?

correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Embir82 said:

 

What are you talking about?

Do you realise his cheated opponent also made investment to get there?

Obviously. Which means the fair punishment would be a 100-0 loss, thereby giving that opponent their fair dues. Removal from the whole event is an overreaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Biophysical said:

I'm not sure about that.  If you're on a roll at Worlds with something to prove, you want to keep playing.  I would, at least.  

I think most people want to win Worlds. And getting a bye is helping a lot if each of your opponents is a really, really good player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Biophysical said:

I'm not sure about that.  If you're on a roll at Worlds with something to prove, you want to keep playing.  I would, at least.  

The guy who got the round 4 win was in my vassal league division last season.  From his comment (I wasn't around at the time he said it to clarify), it SOUNDS like the guy got a loss for their game AND the previous one he cheated in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VanderLegion said:

The guy who got the round 4 win was in my vassal league division last season.  From his comment (I wasn't around at the time he said it to clarify), it SOUNDS like the guy got a loss for their game AND the previous one he cheated in.

Oh wow. That escalated quickly. (Though not unduly)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, VanderLegion said:

The guy who got the round 4 win was in my vassal league division last season.  From his comment (I wasn't around at the time he said it to clarify), it SOUNDS like the guy got a loss for their game AND the previous one he cheated in.

confirmation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vyrago said:

confirmation?

None yet.  His comment was that the guy had received a loss for their game as well as the last.  I asked for clarification, but, ya know, he's playing x-wing at worlds, so I'll have to wait until he shows back up in the slack channel :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Embir82 said:

I am starting to think that maybe they decided that changing scores would result in totally different pairings and they don't know how to undone established ones. Thus judged that cheater will get punished in round 4.

Blah, blah, blah....maybe, but they blew it at the point of attack. Even if it's messy, they should correct the issue: he loses that cheat game, cheated gets 100-0 victory. Period.

26 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Yea the judges were probably like "dang have you seen the forums?"

 

/s

Probably....or why do the (mostly) turn-about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

Blah, blah, blah....maybe, but they blew it at the point of attack. Even if it's messy, they should correct the issue: he loses that cheat game, cheated gets 100-0 victory. Period.

Probably....or why do the (mostly) turn-about?

It is actually fairly simple. The warning was the snap decision of one judge. The later giving of a game losses was likely happened as all the judges consulted about it in between rounds, when they aren't being called everywhere and a time for a more thorough evaluation. And given the size of the event, I really, really doubt the judges are taking the time to check out their twitter feeds. If they are, then Worlds has a whole different set of issues. 

The internet is hyper quick to judge anything that happens. And the fact that many those here are unable to or unwilling to give the judges the benefit of the doubt if they don't react as they want immediately, is just a sad state of affairs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hearing parked got a game loss for his next round. Doe not help the guy he cheated against, but sound like the judges just needed time to research

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sithborg said:

It is actually fairly simple. The warning was the snap decision of one judge. The later giving of a game losses was likely happened as all the judges consulted about it in between rounds, when they aren't being called everywhere and a time for a more thorough evaluation. And given the size of the event, I really, really doubt the judges are taking the time to check out their twitter feeds. If they are, then Worlds has a whole different set of issues. 

The internet is hyper quick to judge anything that happens. And the fact that many those here are unable to or unwilling to give the judges the benefit of the doubt if they don't react as they want immediately, is just a sad state of affairs. 

Perhaps.

...but, this isn't the first tournament, nor the first Worlds or time cheating has occurred; so the TOs don't discuss "what to do in the event of ________"? This shouldn't need a group hug to determine dial manipulation as an auto-loss.

And if you think anyone born after 1970 that's in charge of any action or event of this magnitude isn't keenly aware of instant comment and replies --especially on their own company's forum-- then either you or I sir are daft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, droz69 said:

I am hearing parked got a game loss for his next round. Doe not help the guy he cheated against, but sound like the judges just needed time to research

The guy who got the free win round 4 is in my vassal league division. He said they gave the guy a round 3 loss as well as the round 4 one (and showed back up to confirm after I ddouble checked while he was busy)

Edited by VanderLegion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

Perhaps.

...but, this isn't the first tournament, nor the first Worlds or time cheating has occurred; so the TOs don't discuss "what to do in the event of ________"? This shouldn't need a group hug to determine dial manipulation as an auto-loss.

And if you think anyone born after 1970 that's in charge of any action or event of this magnitude isn't keenly aware of instant comment and replies --especially on their own company's forum-- then either you or I sir are daft.

So, you think they will be keeping an eye on the forums/twitter while they are in the midst of judging a 200 player tournament? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was inevitable, this is the same people who were at 40k and they are now coming here.

Good news, less of those assholes in 40k and Armada. Well what can I say success has its downsides.

 

But yeah Parker Guidary; his name is now known as a blighted person and 2nd person to make the blacklist. Do not allow him in your store tournaments.

Edited by Marinealver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone! 

We'd like to clear up what happened at today's World Championships. As you know, it appeared that a player had changed their dial. After looking into the matter, we determined that although an infraction did occur, it was not done maliciously. Due to the seriousness of the infraction and the potential for abuse, however, we issued a penalty in the form of a loss for that player during the subsequent round. We thank you for your concern, and at this time, we consider this issue resolved as all parties are aware of the ramifications should further infractions occur. Please remember that these forums are intended as a place for positive and productive conversation, and we ask that everyone please be respectful of all competitors and forum members. 

Thank you again from everyone on the FFG OP Team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...