IG88E

Live cheating at worlds?

1 hour ago, IG88E said:

1. Please stop writing memes and other jokes, what's the matter of some of you?

2. The theory of a loose dial is completely wrong. He picked up his dial (not just looked at it) before his turn and directly "worked" on it. How can you know before you pick up the dial that the maneuver is not that one you had chosen?

Yup! He had his dial in his hand before his own turn...

1 minute ago, Lobokai said:

Touché. But this is one thread I'd be proud to derail 

I derailed a certain thread about FFG needing stricter punishments for cheating.... sure it was about picking up dials, but I think the authors point has just been justified about cheating at competitive levels and the harshness of the punishments, even if the specific punishment they offered for that offense was extreme.

Also I found your comparisons invalid mainly because that article was just gibberish about how ships were blah blah blah, and X needs blah blah blah, also this upgrade is blah blah blah, basically your article was a combination of every click bait fix thread rolled into one. Did not find the point where you pointed out how things could be fixed, only what you felt was wrong and that it was all FFG's fault. which maybe you did offer solutions, because I couldn't bother to finish the article, let alone make it halfway through.

6 minutes ago, Arkanta974 said:

We need x-wing 2.0 now ! x-wing 1.0 is dead ! :ph34r::P

Nah, this smells like timing chart spirit. Or the great ID crisis. Point being, we'll get a big FAQ about it before regional season starts.

3 hours ago, Marinealver said:

I'm pretty sure that 2 losses is enough to cancel any chances of making a final cut so I guess we can rest it there. 

Clearly that guy was not ready to be playing at worlds, for

1. making the novice mistake of bumping into all his ships, and
  2. adjusting the dial in clear violation of the rules  in attempts that no one would notice. 

If there is still a chance he could make it past Swiss please correct me on that. But after swiss is at a loss then winning no longer matters.

Who cares? Every match he plays from that point is illegitimate. He shouldn't be there affecting results. He's still affecting tiebreakers and other player's match wins. If they had any sense, they would have paused the game, reviewed the stream content and immediately disqualified him. If it was beyond that point and irreparable, as in other matches had been announced before they were made aware, that player should have been immediately disqualified and their opponent given a bye.

I don't know why FFG is so gun shy when it comes to maintaining the integrity of their games. A tournament isn't worth going to if you can't trust its integrity. 

1 hour ago, Lobokai said:

I feel very bad for the cheated party, and cheating is 100% wrong. 

But

Let's forgive and move on guys. If Parker ever ends up across a table from me, I'll shake his hand and play the game. I've seen people cheat before. I've had people cheat while playing me at big events. My thought: win or lose your game but play past it.  The anger and argument is as toxic to you as them, so just don't go there.  The judges know, it's been handled.

Cut a frustrated player some slack. I do drop a dry quip letting them know I saw it, and I move on. Maybe we should move on? Let's not be vindictive. While this may or maynot be the worst thing he's done, would anyone of us want to wear a poor choice as a label? 

Okay I'll buy this. In he same spirit shouldn't the cheater come forward, admit his wrong, apologize and voluntarily give up his spot. Almost all the community venom would disappear if he did. 

If I ever played him I'd call him cheater every time I addressed him. Not to be vindictive, not to punish him but to remind him that we all make mistakes but failing to admit and take ownership is the worst thing we can do. He should cop to it and do the right thing for himself and everyone else. 

12 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

I derailed a certain thread about FFG needing stricter punishments for cheating.... sure it was about picking up dials, but I think the authors point has just been justified about cheating at competitive levels and the harshness of the punishments, even if the specific punishment they offered for that offense was extreme.

Yeah, that issue is pretty cut and dry, too. There isn't much worse in a game than revealing hidden information. Immediate game loss. Simple. What's more important, a sloppy player or cheater's experience or the integrity of their game(s)?

I feel very bad for the cheated party, and cheating is 100% wrong. 

But

Let's forgive and move on guys. If Parker ever ends up across a table from me, I'll shake his hand and play the game. I've seen people cheat before. I've had people cheat while playing me at big events. My thought: win or lose your game but play past it.  The anger and argument is as toxic to you as them, so just don't go there.  The judges know, it's been handled.

Cut a frustrated player some slack. I do drop a dry quip letting them know I saw it, and I move on. Maybe we should move on? Let's not be vindictive. While this may or maynot be the worst thing he's done, would anyone of us want to wear a poor choice as a label? 

I wish there was an option to hate a comment.

The cheater's motivation is irrelevant. He deliberately violated the rules. Anyone who plays in more than one tournament knows not to pick up their dial once the Activation phase starts (and it generally starts by both players verbally agreeing that they are ready to proceed from the Planning phase), but he went further than just that and actively changed his dial. Whether or not he was simply trying to fix a mistake is a moot point- I've accidently flown the wrong way more than once in a tournament, but never tried to change my dial because of it. You screw up, tough luck, get over it and continue to play the game. You don't cheat.

Cheater needs a minimum ban of a year from all FFG sponsored events. Not only did he cheat, but the whole tournament now has a pall over it because of this incident.

1 minute ago, AceWing said:

Yeah, that issue is pretty cut and dry, too. There isn't much worse in a game than revealing hidden information. Immediate game loss. Simple. What's more important, a sloppy player or cheater's experience or the integrity of their game(s)?

How about all of the above? Sloppy player has a chance to learn without ruining their day at a tournament(low and behold should 2 tie swarms meet at range 1 and not have at least one accidental dial pick up incident), cheater is caught and punished accordingly, TO's enforce the rules and hand out fair punishments, and everyone's fly casual attitude results in honest gameplay. 

Idea: If ships are of the same faction, and range one of each other, and the opponents dial is picked up by mistake, the player at fault receives a warning, and the player whose dial was revealed may perform a new manuvere with their ship if desired, and (fill in the blank here about the player at faults ship. Either the player not at fault chooses it's move or it gets automatically ioned or triple stressed or something.) They only get one warning though. If those conditions aren't met then yeah they probably did it on purpose and the game should be an auto loss to the player at fault. Or a ship is automatically destroyed. we can call it the "death star ruling".

4 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

How about all of the above? Sloppy player has a chance to learn without ruining their day at a tournament(low and behold should 2 tie swarms meet at range 1 and not have at least one accidental dial pick up incident), cheater is caught and punished accordingly, TO's enforce the rules and hand out fair punishments, and everyone's fly casual attitude results in honest gameplay. 

Idea: If ships are of the same faction, and range one of each other, and the opponents dial is picked up by mistake, the player at fault receives a warning, and the player whose dial was revealed may perform a new manuvere with their ship if desired, and (fill in the blank here about the player at faults ship. Either the player not at fault chooses it's move or it gets automatically ioned or triple stressed or something.) They only get one warning though. If those conditions aren't met then yeah they probably did it on purpose and the game should be an auto loss to the player at fault. Or a ship is automatically destroyed. we can call it the "death star ruling".

Post this question in the appropriate thread and I'll respond there. 

9 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

Didn't a German guy actually get flat-out banned for doing exactly this?  How can the same offense get you banned at store champs but only a warning at worlds?

Yup.

I was playing at this store championship .

He turned his dial, when his opponent was on toilet...

He avoided a bump with that move , but lost the game, semi final ,when  i remember correctly.

Others watched the game but no one noticed besides one guy watching the Live Stream ...

Touché. But this is one thread I'd be proud to derail 

1 hour ago, Arkanta974 said:

We need x-wing 2.0 now ! x-wing 1.0 is dead ! :ph34r::P

AH come on, you can do better than that.

Ban Atanni mindlink. It makes cheating too easy.:P

2 hours ago, CDR Stele said:

So, what... we should pretend that we don't know precisely who we are talking about? That donkey CHOSE to blatantly cheat that other player in an incredibly obvious and pretty public way. Why should he get to remain anonymous? Not as if I am threatening the guy or throwing a brick through his window...

Regardless, you want to sit atop your moral high ground where nobody gets called out for anything that's fine, but don't presume to wag your finger at people who don't agree with you. I think this clown deserves a bit of negative attention. Cheaters and liars are one and the same, and I have no time for either.

No my intention was I don't want this thread to be closed by admins due to such memes or spamming. This thread should stay open so pmease think about it. It is clear who has cheated, it is not neccessary to post giant memes with his name ;)

You know, at this point we should put the focus elsewhere, on Michael being compensated! That move was game-changing and he would have won for sure if it hadn't happened. The penalty is not perfect, yes, but at least there is a consequential one as opposed to a warning. He really deserves an apology and compensation in an apropriate form, like his travel and entry expanses + something symbolic like some of the prices or the next wave of expansions.

#IstandwithMichael #fixthisFFG

3 minutes ago, Vitalis said:

The scum who cheated gets to day 2.

The guy who he cheatet on in round 3 is short 1 win to get to day 2.

Screw you FFG, im done with this game.

Relax!!

I hate cheating too but don't call someone a scum.

There's a lot of heated opinions in this thread.

I'm comfortable with a game loss decision.  I'm comfortable with the fact he made day two, because if he could take a game loss ruling  and still make cut then he made the cut.

I'm not comfortable with how this affected either of his opponents - either the guy who got screwed or the guy who won the 100-0 MOV lottery.  The guy who got screwed is, IMHO, a customer service issue for FFG to make him feel like his entire worlds trip was worthwhile.

However I'm going to flip the next part on its head.  Right now the guy who cheated is also a victim of FFG bungling the ruling.  This could be done and dusted it FFG had handled it correctly and instead his name is going to be dragged on and on through the mud countless times.  He cheated, he got punished, but now he's lined up for a lot of vitriol he shouldn't have to deal with.  

Hopefully if he's any sense he'll drop out at the first opportunity, and maybe even go on one if the podcasts/streams and just get it all over with.  It's what I'd do - you have to own it.

Edited by Stay On The Leader