Sign in to follow this  
chr335

Just had a terrifying idea

So Ackbar makes side zone red dice super dangerous I was thinking what would make an Imperial commander just as dangerous.  If Ackbar is a fleet wide enhanced armaments then his imperial equivalent would be to allow all imperial ships to shoot their entire front arc dice pool at long range.  Just imagine the terror of APT gladiators and raiders at long range.  The ISDs and VSDs able to bombard with all dice from long range.  Now feel free to support or eviscerate the idea.

4 minutes ago, doobleg said:

Seems pretty OP, but I like where your head's at. :)

VSD/ISD front arcs are massive. How about a commander that allows you to fire your side-arc at a ship that's only in your front-arc?

add the dice from both side arcs to an attack out of the front arc but limit the ship to one attack per activation.

Edited by chr335

I.... think this I a bit of overreach.

The other thing is Imperials don't currently have much trouble killing things they can get a shot on. The problem is in an era of squadron domination, getting the shot (which can be hard enough), and then surviving to not give up so many points that it doesn't help anyway.

For 30ish-pts Id say let an unactivated ship take an obstructed but immediate out-of-activation shot when a maneuver template cross through their front arc. They cannot then attack during their own activation this turn.

I suppose Vader is the Imperial equivalent of Ackbar.

Out of the front arc of an ISD or VSD you should use 2-4 rerolls so these are just as good as extra dice. Vader can also be used out of the less effective flank arcs if things get desperate.

32 minutes ago, Mad Cat said:

I suppose Vader is the Imperial equivalent of Ackbar.

Out of the front arc of an ISD or VSD you should use 2-4 rerolls so these are just as good as extra dice. Vader can also be used out of the less effective flank arcs if things get desperate.

Exactly this.  I used Vader in a red-dice heavy fleet (and faced several ones as well) and with those rerolls red dice are significantly more scary. 

If Akbar upgrades sides, would an equivalent not just upgrade front since that is their main attack arc? May have to cost less, but not by much as front arc is easier to use, tends to have more dice on imp ships than rebs have on side arc, and would be much more devastating early game to take an extra 4-6 red shots a turn than mid to late when those couple of heavy ships make it to a position they can fire both side arcs. Just seems more useful for the imps and likely why it wont happen besides the boring notion of repeated powers on each side. asymmetrical is always better for gaming once you graduate from chess

2 hours ago, Alzer said:

None of these ideas are ok.

I'll sum up with this thought: Flanking GSDs staying at red range all game and circling.

1 hour ago, thecactusman17 said:

Devastator already does this.   Very few ships can reliably survive that abuse.  Giving it to a whole fleet would be extremely problematic. 

Hence the terrifying part in the title.

Yeah but it would make some ships extremely overpowered. 

Let's reduce things a little: when attacking a ship, your black dice may be used at medium range and your blue dice may be used at long range. 

This still drastically increases the threat range and potency of every imperial ship to a point where you basically cannot approach them.   It also makes several ships effectively impossible to escape from such as Demolisher and Raiders.

2 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

Yeah but it would make some ships extremely overpowered. 

Let's reduce things a little: when attacking a ship, your black dice may be used at medium range and your blue dice may be used at long range. 

This still drastically increases the threat range and potency of every imperial ship to a point where you basically cannot approach them.   It also makes several ships effectively impossible to escape from such as Demolisher and Raiders.

I want this to be a commander so bad now. That would be like a 40 point commander at least and I'd still have to talk myself out of using him every game. I'd say it should be what Thrawn does, except that thematically Thrawn should probably do something with command stacks. But this ability is certainly powerful enough to be worthy of Thrawn. 

17 minutes ago, Hockeyzombie said:

I want this to be a commander so bad now. That would be like a 40 point commander at least and I'd still have to talk myself out of using him every game. I'd say it should be what Thrawn does, except that thematically Thrawn should probably do something with command stacks. But this ability is certainly powerful enough to be worthy of Thrawn. 

This would be awful.

If you haven't seen me play Devastator, then you may not be aware of the ramifications of this.  It basically makes Imperial ships impossible to fail with.  And that sounds great until you realize that it makes it impossible to play anything else.  Imagine what happens when everyone is toting SW7 Ion batteries everywhere on ships that roll 3-4 blue dice.  It just becomes a massive shooting gallery of ships rolling a guaranteed damage minimum.  The whole concept of randomized dice becomes completely meaningless.

Even if this was a previously viable method for increasing the threat of Imperial ships, the upgrade selection makes it a nightmare scenario now.

7 minutes ago, thecactusman17 said:

This would be awful.

If you haven't seen me play Devastator, then you may not be aware of the ramifications of this.  It basically makes Imperial ships impossible to fail with.  And that sounds great until you realize that it makes it impossible to play anything else.  Imagine what happens when everyone is toting SW7 Ion batteries everywhere on ships that roll 3-4 blue dice.  It just becomes a massive shooting gallery of ships rolling a guaranteed damage minimum.  The whole concept of randomized dice becomes completely meaningless.

Even if this was a previously viable method for increasing the threat of Imperial ships, the upgrade selection makes it a nightmare scenario now.

I fear Demolisher more than any mere ion cannon. Actually, Gladiators in general would be horrifying with four black dice at medium range. Or maybe that ion cannon that takes away defence tokens. That would be...should I say good or bad here? I mean, it'd be powerful as hell but also bad for the game.

Just now, Hockeyzombie said:

I fear Demolisher more than any mere ion cannon. Actually, Gladiators in general would be horrifying with four black dice at medium range. Or maybe that ion cannon that takes away defence tokens. That would be...should I say good or bad here? I mean, it'd be powerful as hell but also bad for the game.

Yeah, medium black dice is pretty bad (especially when only one side gets it).  But X guaranteed damage is pretty disturbing when you realize that we're talking 5 damage in addition to 4 more dice.  And even worse when it's getting Gunnery-Teamed across multiple targets at range.  there's a very strong chance that you're looking at 7-8 damage per attack on average at long range.  The game just isn't balanced to accommodate that.

10 hours ago, Red Castle said:

Piett

When attacking a ship, you may choose to attack only once during the turn. If you do, you can add one die from every adjacent zone to your attack.

9 hours ago, ricefrisbeetreats said:

Probably the most balanced one.

52 minutes ago, Hockeyzombie said:

Finally, a reason to consider Slaved Turrets. 

Come on guys! He just copied my idea and changed it from a rebel scum fear perspective .:P