EastCoast

Heart of the Empire

Fix Saska where she doesn't blow herself up when she uses her explosives and drop her a point and I'd have Mercs in my Rebel force all the time.

I'd love a Biv fix as well, but frankly, most of the skirmish stuff outside of Dengar, Boba, Chewie and Han will probably just get a replacement figure.  I don't think they are going to go back and fix Fenn or Gharkaan, etc., just the iconic figures.

Edited by buckero0

13 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Fix Saska where she doesn't blow herself up when she uses her explosives and drop her a point and I'd have Mercs in my Rebel force all the time.

I'd love a Biv fix as well, but frankly, most of the skirmish stuff outside of Dengar, Boba, Chewie and Han will probably just get a replacement figure.  I don't think they are going to go back and fix Fenn or Gharkaan, etc., just the iconic figures.

Being new to all this...my missus is playing Gharkaan and Mak in the core campaign.

Just wondered whats up with Gharkaan?

15 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

Being new to all this...my missus is playing Gharkaan and Mak in the core campaign.

Just wondered whats up with Gharkaan?

Campaign-wise, there's nothing wrong. Both Gaar and Mak are good heroes

Skirmish though, they're not even close to being picked in competitive plays

With 8pt (Gaarkhan) you can throw in Leia, eEcho, Davith, Lando, Obi, eSab...they are all better than Gaarkhan, heck even rWookie is a strict upgrade imo

3pt Mak I'd just replace it with some combo of rSmuggler, Rebel high command, smuggler run, combat suit (assuming you've already got C-3po/Gideon/R2-D2 though)

TL;DR: Every point matters in skirmish, not so much in campaign

pic for reference:

Gaarkhan

Mak

16 minutes ago, ellhaynes said:

Ah, just seen the Bith engineer image on the cover of the new Age of Rebellion sourcebook - I wish we were getting him rather than the Wookiee grenadier. Looks super cool! 

A Bith would've been awesome.

I guess it's cool we're getting a Wookie so it doesn't look like we're trying to get a checklist of every species in the game and prioritizing aesthetics over gameplay, but it does feel like a step backward when there's so much material to draw from.

On 5/11/2017 at 2:26 PM, patrickmahan said:

I agree. One of my biggest gripes about the game is how downplayed the Royal Guards were. They were the best of the best and then we see them doing stupid stuff in the core campaign like cleaning up after some Nexu in the garbage room tile.

I always replace them with heavy stormies or other similar costed cards. The only time I'll use Royal Guards is if they are with the Emperor now. And only Elite Royal Guards.

BOY HOWDY! I could never understand why the emporer's guards were even in the box. They pain up fast and add a splash of color but... In games I always feel like asking "what are they DOING here?".

1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

BOY HOWDY! I could never understand why the emporer's guards were even in the box. They pain up fast and add a splash of color but... In games I always feel like asking "what are they DOING here?".

Well I mean. We know WHY they were in the core box. We just don't like the answer.

Are you saying there are only two Royal Guards in the SW universe? I'm pretty sure there are more because there is a Royal Guard Champion, and the guards can't manage without sleep, so there must be regular guard changes. Sickdays would require more guards as well. So, the others can have other assignments than guarding the Emperor.

2 minutes ago, a1bert said:

Are you saying there are only two Royal Guards in the SW universe? I'm pretty sure there are more because there is a Royal Guard Champion, and the guards can't manage without sleep, so there must be regular guard changes. Sickdays would require more guards as well. So, the others can have other assignments than guarding the Emperor.

Who said anything about there only being 2 royal guards?

Also, what does the number of Royal Guards have to do with them doing menial tasks like everything in IA?  You (and FFG) vastly underestimate just how much training each Royal Guard goes through and how rare they are compared to stormtroopers.  Like I said, these guys were the best of the best.

Depends on the definition of menial. Royal Guards apparently were the ones the Emperor trusted with sensitive information. Darth Vader is in the core box, and is certainly high up enough to request Royal Guards for anything he deems important or secret enough to warrant it.

(Note: I'm now talking about including the Royal Guards in the core box, not about using them for every mission. Pre-errata they were the best for their point value. After errata not so much, and with each expansion there are also otherwise more suitable and thematic choices.)

I 'm hoping the Riot troopers offer an alternative to Royal Gaurds. Hopefully they have stun:) I agree that Royal Gaurds can get a little overused from a thematic standpoint. I don't mind bringing them  to a few missions since they are probably detached from time to time to handle $&"@. But due to their effectiveness, they are sometimes too tempting even when the mission doesn't really warrant it from a story perspective. the funny thing is, in HotE the RGs will make a lot of sense because the Emperor is the main villain:)

2 hours ago, a1bert said:

Plus in Rogue 1 we see RGs at vaders pad on Mustafar meaning that RGs are stationed at additional places that don't involve protecting the Emperor.

Regarding numbers, I remember reading somewhere that only Palpatine knew the true number of Royal Guards, but that their numbers were at least in the thousands.

They absolutely completed tasks outside of simply guarding station for Palpatine.  That being said, there are some silly situations that they probably shouldn't be in with this game.  Dumpster duty in The Source is Exhibit A.

15 hours ago, subtrendy said:

That being said, there are some silly situations that they probably shouldn't be in with this game.  Dumpster duty in The Source is Exhibit A.

After those rebels rescued Leia and escaped through the garbage compactor on the Death Star,  everyone gets dumpster duty   ;)  

20 hours ago, subtrendy said:

That being said, there are some silly situations that they probably shouldn't be in with this game.  Dumpster duty in The Source is Exhibit A.

That is exactly what I'm talking about lol

On 2017-05-20 at 7:45 AM, TauntaunScout said:

Uh, Darth Vader is in the box too?  They're too expensive and don't put out the damage to be worth playing so it's not like they show up all the time.  I think the only time I've ever put them in an open group was a high threat mission that I had the "add Vader to your hand" agenda and I think a cost reduction agenda and was playing Nemeses so he was practically free, and it was a mission I was trying to even up a bit by using overpriced units.

7 hours ago, Ken on Cape said:

After those rebels rescued Leia and escaped through the garbage compactor on the Death Star,  everyone gets dumpster duty   ;)  

Well we know Finn, a First Order Stormtrooper who was "trained from birth" was a garbage man.  So either garbage in Star Wars is super valuable and needs elite soldiers protecting it, or J.J. was just trying to keep the space man down.

Edited by Union

From a historical perspective, isn't it normal for the term "Royal Guard" (or similar terms) to simply refer to an elite group? They start as the personal bodyguards of whoever's in charge, but the role gradually expands into just an elite fighting force with various responsibilities.

15 hours ago, Union said:

Uh, Darth Vader is in the box too?  They're too expensive and don't put out the damage to be worth playing so it's not like they show up all the time.  I think the only time I've ever put them in an open group was a high threat mission that I had the "add Vader to your hand" agenda and I think a cost reduction agenda and was playing Nemeses so he was practically free, and it was a mission I was trying to even up a bit by using overpriced units.

Well we know Finn, a First Order Stormtrooper who was "trained from birth" was a garbage man.  So either garbage in Star Wars is super valuable and needs elite soldiers protecting it, or J.J. was just trying to keep the space man down.

Or they deliberately lie about the origins of their troopers? 

6 hours ago, Engine25 said:

Or they deliberately lie about the origins of their troopers? 

We have no reason to believe General Hux was lying, particularly to someone that would kill him if he got caught at it.

10 minutes ago, Union said:

We have no reason to believe General Hux was lying, particularly to someone that would kill him if he got caught at it.

Oh I totally agree, but it would explain the discrepancy. 

Let's not forget, we see Finn in a combat role in the movie's first scene.  He wasn't even stationed on Starkiller Base at the time, and Phasma seemed to know him pretty well for just being a custodian.  

I think it was either a poorly thought out throwaway line, or perhaps that was his job on weekends before "graduating" from Stormtrooper Elementary.