Nickciufi

The Official "All Hype and no QQ" thread

1 hour ago, Nickciufi said:

This is a thread for all reasonable people who are willing to wait for the entirety of the game to be revealed before complaining about it.

Is anyone else incredibly excited to try this new variation of our beloved L5R?

To me, this is not "a variation of our beloved L5R".  I'm completely new to L5R and completely excited to try the game out.  Already planning on buying three cores as soon as they are on sale as I'm confident I'll get enjoyment out of this game.

24 minutes ago, shineyorkboy said:

I'll be getting three copies at GenCon if they'll let me.

I've got some friends going who will pick up a copy for me if they allow more than one copy per customer.  If not, I'll just proxy the cards until my FLGS gets some in stock.

I have to say that I like the AEG art style better, but this one is beautiful too. As for how it plays, we'll just have to see. It definitely nods at AGoT and, to a lesser extent, CoC, but it's not a bad thing. Looks promising.

I hope we won't have to suffer a single clan dominating all others though, much like it happened in AGoT 2.0 where they made the Lannister ultra-powerful against all others.

3 minutes ago, Serazu said:

I have to say that I like the AEG art style better, but this one is beautiful too. As for how it plays, we'll just have to see. It definitely nods at AGoT and, to a lesser extent, CoC, but it's not a bad thing. Looks promising.

I hope we won't have to suffer a single clan dominating all others though, much like it happened in AGoT 2.0 where they made the Lannister ultra-powerful against all others.

Art was bought from AEG.  Many of the cards we've seen were reprints of existing cards.  However, they may use many of the same artists that FFG currently uses.

I completely agree with the Lanni's being OP during the first year of the game, it was such a shame.
I still remember Berlin regionals with 14 of 16 (top) being lanni and 15th had lanni banner...

That being said... Concern about balance is real, as far as clan loyalty may balance this out, I do not want to see such situations occuring in future tournaments.

Those who know me are fully aware that I am super hyped about the newL5R but FFG needs to improve their balance and OP by quite a lot.

11 minutes ago, Arkhonai said:

I completely agree with the Lanni's being OP during the first year of the game, it was such a shame.
I still remember Berlin regionals with 14 of 16 (top) being lanni and 15th had lanni banner...

That being said... Concern about balance is real, as far as clan loyalty may balance this out, I do not want to see such situations occuring in future tournaments.

Those who know me are fully aware that I am super hyped about the newL5R but FFG needs to improve their balance and OP by quite a lot.

No QQ. All hype.

Story-wise, we should probably expect the Crane to be somewhat weaker and the Scorpion stronger in the CS. If the first cycle is about the coup (if there will be one), the first couple of CP will probably empower the Scorpion even further and, as the cycle progresses, they'll start to decline.

:D A valiant attempt Nickcuifi. Maybe reverse psychology would work "please complain in this thread"

My hyperbolics; Phenomenal art direction, hugely dynamic and engaging game mechanics, FFG's excellent production values and organised play support. /sold

Netrunner had Criminal/NBN domination, Conquest was about Space Marines and Eldar leading (followed by Dark Eldar later). Also heard that SW:LCG was about one side dominant. In other words every LCG had huge balance issues in first year at least.

Edited by kempy

I love the new visual design. It looks like they're reusing great art. 

I'm definitely not unhappy that I'll never get gold screwed again. 

Also looking forward to the story reset. I didn't start playing until Gold, but the Clan Wars era definitely has always seemed like a great backdrop for storytelling. Hopefully we'll be able to experience great new stories and cast off twenty years of story. Good or bad, that much story is baggage. 

Oh, and the game looks like it'll be pretty fun too. 

1 hour ago, kempy said:

Netrunner had Criminal/NBN domination, Conquest was about Space Marines and Eldar leading (followed by Dark Eldar later). Also heard that SW:LCG was about one side dominant. In other words every LCG had huge balance issues in first year at least.

Wasn't Weylin pretty strong for a while too?  But yeah, Criminal dominated for a while.

38 minutes ago, feydruatha said:

I have 6 core sets pre-ordered.  a full playset for myself and my long time gaming buddy, whom I met playing L5R in the late 90's. 

Every piece of information FFG release makes me more and more happy with the direction of the game. 

Your local game store is taking pre-orders already?  I'm not aware of anyone around me doing that.

4 hours ago, Serazu said:

Story-wise, we should probably expect the Crane to be somewhat weaker and the Scorpion stronger in the CS. If the first cycle is about the coup (if there will be one), the first couple of CP will probably empower the Scorpion even further and, as the cycle progresses, they'll start to decline.

I wouldn't expect this to be the case, or at least hope not.  The core set will be forever legal, and I would expect them to do their best to balance each clan in the core as best they can.  

2 hours ago, slowreflex said:

Your local game store is taking pre-orders already?  I'm not aware of anyone around me doing that.

I started taking preorders at the store I run this week, as they became available (for preorder) through distributors last week.

14 hours ago, Arkhonai said:

I completely agree with the Lanni's being OP during the first year...

Didn't Netrunner similarly have problems like this?

I expect this to happen. I imagine it's going to take a year before there are enough cards released where balance will be possible. I expect much complaining all along the way...

Hopefully, Dragon gets all thee OP stuff. ?