BlindSamurai13

New Article: The Conflicts of Rokugan

YES!!! I don't know why, but as a Dragon player I really like the two cards that we got spoiled today. Seems like we'll get some fun strategies.

" However, during this phase, all cards on broken provinces are also replaced, regardless if they are faceup or facedown."

So the minute you lose a province, you start getting milled? When you play characters in the dynasty phase, you immediately refill that slot with a facedown dynasty card. Will you refill that slot immediately after discarding, then? I thought the point of the new rules was to prevent the game from snowballing by still giving you dynasty cards when you lose provinces. 

EDIT: I didn't read my own quote. You replace the card, not just discard. Derp derp...

Edited by Mandalore525

2 minutes ago, Isawa Syd said:

When exactly would you play it? Not in conflict... so when? Did anybody see rules for attaching outside battle?

Have to attach outside conflict otherwise it would be unplayable... actions before conflict?

Edited by Isawa Tasatu

Just now, Mandalore525 said:

I thought the point of the new rules was to prevent the game from snowballing by still giving you dynasty cards when you lose provinces. 

It is doing that. Where are you reading that states otherwise?

1 minute ago, Mandalore525 said:

YES!!! I don't know why, but as a Dragon player I really like the two cards that we got spoiled today. Seems like we'll get some fun strategies.

" However, during this phase, all cards on broken provinces are also replaced, regardless if they are faceup or facedown."

So the minute you lose a province, you start getting milled? When you play characters in the dynasty phase, you immediately refill that slot with a facedown dynasty card. Will you refill that slot immediately after discarding, then? I thought the point of the new rules was to prevent the game from snowballing by still giving you dynasty cards when you lose provinces. 

Yes, you still replace the broken province's card. You just can no longer save a character/holding on it for a later turn.

1 minute ago, Mandalore525 said:

I agree. Dragon got a good spoil today. But how will they play in balance to attack strategies.

2 minutes ago, Mandalore525 said:

Yes, you refill just after the discarding, so you'll have a card in that Province next turn. However, your question bring another one, do you lose the card in a broken province just the turn it is broken or every turn after? First, I thought it was the first way, but I'm wondering if it could be the second in fact. It would give some sense of fragility to broken provinces and give some effect to breaking one (you can't keep a card to play it next turn even if it would be better) without the snowball effect.

For the milling part, with games supposed to be 3-6 turns long, I'm not really worried about it for now.

3 minutes ago, Isawa Tasatu said:

Have to attach outside conflict otherwise it would be unplayable... actions before conflict?

No such thing anymore. I wonder if it interacts with an unspoiled phx card...

I like the system they've shown. Still looking very much forward to giving this a try.

The clarification on Ring of Fire pretty much cements the idea that personalities enter play in a neutral state and that it take some other outside effect to either honor or dishonor them.

Interesting how the Dragon seem to encourage doing minimal challenges since then there are more rings with fate around next turn. I could see those decks only doing one of their two challenges each round to ensure there is a ring with fate next turn even if they declare challenges second.

The conflict phase already sounds leaps and bounds more I interesting than the Old5R attack phase.  This is really shaping up to be an extremely well designed game. 

Only negative is FFG forgot to include the pre-pre-release purchase option so I could just get my cards before gen-con.  Get on it Horvath! :P

2 minutes ago, Isawa Syd said:

No such thing anymore. I wonder if it interacts with an unspoiled phx card...

Players then alternate doing one of the following: play a character card from one of their provinces, trigger an appropriate card ability, or pass. 

Quote from previous article for during draw dynasty phase

If you look closely at the little Honored card it indicates that you gain a set amount of honor when the personality leaves play (I think 1, but the writing is tiny), so it does not give the character's glory as many suspected.

3 minutes ago, Ryric said:

If you look closely at the little Honored card it indicates that you gain a set amount of honor when the personality leaves play (I think 1, but the writing is tiny), so it does not give the character's glory as many suspected.

Yep, it's 1. And it's a real shame.
... at least for us Cranes...

Edited by Doji Makoto

Just now, Isawa Tasatu said:

Quote from previous article for during draw dynasty phase

Triggering an action seems different than attaching. I think the bold indicated holdings and peep actions.