Sign in to follow this  
MenaceNsobriety

Help for Imperial Aces

I thought of a way to bring back Imperial arc dodgers and wanted some opinions. Bombs really ruin an Aces day so why not give them something that can help protect against Clusters and Conners.

Experimental Disruptor. Unique. Modification. 1 point. Empire only. Small ship only.

"Enemy ships at range 1 cannot perform actions listed on upgrade cards. You may equip an additional Modifcation."

I thought about limiting it to ships with 2 or fewer shields because of defenders but don't really think that is necessary. This would be a great way to get Imp aces back on the table but since you can only have one you can't run multiple aces without fear of bombs. Vader and Fel would certainly love this. Plus you can still hit bombs but it's going to take a LOT more skill to place them where you can't avoid them. What do you think? Would this be enough to bring the evil empire up to the current power level?

In general, upgrades whose only purpose is to shut down another sort of upgrades are terrible design.  This is mildly better than most because it has a purpose in at least SOME lists without bombs, but even then, it's pretty bad.  Just saying 'nah' is pretty lame design.  It also doesn't stop you getting hit with Conner Nets, I don't think, which can be dropped on you from outside range 1 of you, nor does it stop you getting hit with Sabine's damage when a ship at R1 of you is bombed by someone further away.

If bombs are a problem, FIX THE THINGS THAT MAKE THEM A PROBLEM: Sabine crew and Advanced SLAM.

Specifically, make Advanced SLAM give a stress token, and make Sabine crew have a range limit or only work on the bombs on her ship.

It is mostly about disrupting bomb drops but would have uses like shutting down Jyn crew and Gonk. As to the Conner net thing the bombing player would have to position really well to net you while outside range 1 so that is not a bad thing. I personally play mostly Rebels but I still want imperial aces to be viable because it is a fun guessing game of maneuvers when playing against them. Bombs and Imperial aces both sit on that knife edge where if you change even something small you make them either terrible or OP. This way you can leave bombs as is but give the thing they kicked out of the competitive scene some tools to fight them with.

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

If bombs are a problem, FIX THE THINGS THAT MAKE THEM A PROBLEM: Sabine crew and Advanced SLAM.

Specifically, make Advanced SLAM give a stress token, and make Sabine crew have a range limit or only work on the bombs on her ship.

This x10. Imp Aces problem is that if your opponent has K-Wings and Sabine, you instantly lose. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, you just lose. Adv Slam needs to be reigned in, as well as Sabine. This alone would make a whole swath of Imperials playable in competitive again. Besides, why should K-Wings be the only effective bomber in the game? They have such an advantage over all other bombers it's sickening.

On 2017-5-3 at 7:20 PM, Johen Dood said:

This x10. Imp Aces problem is that if your opponent has K-Wings and Sabine, you instantly lose. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, you just lose. 

Thats exactely how my B-wings have been feeling the past years.

12 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

I usually love your comments Chadwick, but I'm --at heart-- an Interceptor squad pilot; so that really hurts....

I hear ya, but as someone who doesn't love them, I am tired of Stealth Soontir Fel w/ Autoincludes and PTL to be the first thing added to EVERY SINGLE imperial list for years.

20 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I hear ya, but as someone who doesn't love them, I am tired of Stealth Soontir Fel w/ Autoincludes and PTL to be the first thing added to EVERY SINGLE imperial list for years.

I guess I can see your point, and I guess you have your wish. I haven't seen Soontir --or any Interceptor-- across the mat from me in a year or better it seems. Heck, even a stubborn as I am, I haven't run my Interceptor squad in two months. It was getting harder and harder to win with them, but even somewhat recently, I could fly them and win about half the time, against all comers. They're just so fragile against Bombs and Alpha strikes that it's a fools errand now. It takes so much planning and concentration to keep them alive while you set up perfect strike moments. Near Impossible now. I know a lot of people that are happy with the direction competitive X-Wing has been traveling, but I for one am not. Even though I do see the fun in winning with FennBoats, it's not Star Wars. I'm becoming more and more a casual player, because I want to play a Star Wars game, not what ever the h*** this is becoming.

4 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Here is your savior

twin-laser-turret.png

It will be coming to Imperials in Wave 11 with this

swx66_spread.png

Embrace the TLT and become one with it

55319037.jpg

:P

Here is FFG's answer to basically designing heavy counters to every Imperial strength in the other factions: LETS MAKE THEM PLAY REBEL SHIPS!!!!!!!

First the rear-arc TIE, now a turreted fighter.......yay.......there, was.......great.....rejoicing.......blah.

7 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

I guess I can see your point, and I guess you have your wish. I haven't seen Soontir --or any Interceptor-- across the mat from me in a year or better it seems. Heck, even a stubborn as I am, I haven't run my Interceptor squad in two months. It was getting harder and harder to win with them, but even somewhat recently, I could fly them and win about half the time, against all comers. They're just so fragile against Bombs and Alpha strikes that it's a fools errand now. It takes so much planning and concentration to keep them alive while you set up perfect strike moments. Near Impossible now. I know a lot of people that are happy with the direction competitive X-Wing has been traveling, but I for one am not. Even though I do see the fun in winning with FennBoats, it's not Star Wars. I'm becoming more and more a casual player, because I want to play a Star Wars game, not what ever the h*** this is becoming.

Soontir has been gone for about 10 months.  He was struggling by July, when TIE Defenders took over, and gone by August.

hKYF9zC.png

48 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

While we're waiting for that, the TIE/sf makes a pretty decent stand-up, and I expect TIE Bombers with Unguided Rockets will do so as well.

And don't forget your old favourite TIE Defenders.

It's a worrying trend, though. High health ships like the Defender, TIE/sf and even the Bomber are becoming more reliable than 3-4 health ships due in the main to the danger posed by Advanced SLAM and Sabine assisted Conner Nets and Cluster Mines.

Railgun builds contribute as well, but at least they can potentially still be arcdodged.

I'm not a rebel player.

The Reinforce action is a perfect match for the B Wing (and slightly less so the Punisher) nonetheless.  The B Wing can get its mods from FCS and B Wing/E2, leaving its action free to barrel roll or Reinforce if it has Reinforce, so it's a neat fit for it.

I'm hoping, but not expecting, that there might be a mod in the Aussie Truck which gives the Reinforce action to any (possibly only small) ship with agility 1 or 0.  Yes, including the K Wing because any K Wing without Advanced SLAM is a K Wing that's less horrible to play against.