cobrophy

Imperial Advisor - The L5R LCG Show

Hi all,

Imperial Advisor is a show focusing on the L5R LCG and competitive play.

We've an amazing panel of players with Justin Walsh, former world champion; Hida O-Win, TO and Crab legend; Bazleebub, who's written some great articles on the game; Andy Gordon, another Kotei winner and a game designer himself; and me, random schmuck.

We broadcast live on Twitch TV every 2 weeks. The next broadcast will be Monday 4th December at 8pm UK/Ireland, 3pm Eastern.

Episode 18 Part 1: Clan Packs Announcement

Episode 18 Part 2: Meditations on the Tao Review

Episode 18 Part 3: Imperial Cycle Reflections

Episode 17 Part 1: Madrid Grand Kotei

Episode 17 Part 2: The Chrysanthemum Throne Review

Episode 17 Part 3: Fate Has No Secrets Review

Episode 16 Part 1: Grand Kotei results discussion

Episode 16 Part 2: For Honor and Glory pack review

Episode 16 Part 3: Into the Forbidden City pack review

Episode 15 Part 1: Worlds & New Clan Roles

Episode 15 Part 2: Reviewing Tears of Amaterasu spoilers

Episode 14: Release plan, Worlds & Justin's Phoenix deck.

Justin's Deck Breakdown Only

Episode 13: Launch events, OP details & Chanting

Episode 12: Building a Scorpion Deck

Interview with Brad Andres

• YouTube
  • SoundCloud

Episode 11: Honored Preview, Story & Amaterasu's Tears

Episode 10: Reviewing GenCon

Episode 9 Part 1: Glimpse of the Unicorn

Episode 9 Part 2: The Scorpion Wall is Finished

Episode 9 Part 3: Chrysanthemum Festival

Episode 8: The Council Reforms

Episode 7: Twenty Goblin Winter

Episode 6: Kisada's Blockade

Episode 5: Death to Onnotangu

Episode 4: Imperial Gift

Episode 3: Lean Times

Interview with D.G. Laderoute

Episode 2: A New Legacy

Episode 1: Inheritance

Find us on:

Edited by cobrophy

Thanks guys. First episode was fun. Subscribed and waiting for the next. As someone only aware of some of the RPG fluff and having never played the CCG I will be listing for tips and tricks on play style and deck building as the core comes out. 

3 minutes ago, DrDevidents said:

I can confirm Cobrophy is both random AND a Schmuck! 

Well well well if it isn't my old nemesis DrDevidents. Stalking me round the internet.

3 hours ago, Tekwych said:

Thanks guys. First episode was fun. Subscribed and waiting for the next. As someone only aware of some of the RPG fluff and having never played the CCG I will be listing for tips and tricks on play style and deck building as the core comes out. 

Delighted you enjoyed it. That's definitely going to be the core focus for the show once we can start to get our hands on the cards. We've some serious card players in the group.

Read the book by Sirlin. He uses the word scrub to describe players who impose artificial limits of their own design on the game and sometimes even look down on others who don't follow his personal code. 

It's like having a football player who refuses to tackle. Fine by me but don't expect to win the championships and don't throw a tantrum when someone does tackle.

Edited by Mig el Pig

There's no harm inherently with the debate of playing only to win, and yes there are potential problems. However the entire article linked seeks to reinforce the use of a "derogatory term" (derogatory-showing a critical or disrespectful attitude). I don't think using an intentionally derogatory term holds value for anyone. This was of course just light hearted banter throughout the podcast amongst friends. It just got me thinking, with all the potential new players around, derogatory generalizations are better avoided.

I am sure all players can find things in themselves they can improve, how they approach the game, how they approach each other, and how to communicate and understand issues that arise.

Rei (1).jpg

The second session with the Advisors was very good. I have to admit though, I tuned out halfway through the tabletop simulator game. Just cannot get into board games on a computer. Takes away most of why I like to play a board game.

I am loving the podcast. I look forward to hearing what experienced and great card players have to say. Once all the cards in the core set is revealed. I would like to hear some podcast about the different decks that can be built, their pros and cons, and how to build them. I think that will be helpful not only in building those decks, but building decks to defeat those decks.

I've listened to most of the review on the Lion cards. The thing that struck me the most was the general consensus on the statement that For Greater Glory is a good card for bad players (safe to say, a bad card). From my experience, thus considering mostly the Crane matchup, I do agree that it may trap you into making bad decisions, but, Voice of Honor aside, it's basically impossible for your opponent to prevent - if they try to it's still good, since it traps them into a bad decision: trying to contest Military is very inefficient for Crane. The ability on Lion's stronghold makes them really good when they commit a few units (2-3) to a single fight. Since with the current options it's very difficult to play more than 3 characters in a single round, that means you usually have enough to break a Province but you might have some serious trouble defending - against Crane in particular, cards like Brash Samurai and Admit Defeat make it very expensive for Lion to fight "small" battles. Considering that not attempting to break a Province militarily every round with Lion sounds like a very bad idea, that leaves you stretched very thin if you try to do more than just that in the first couple of rounds. One could argue that going with 3 chars in a single conflict is overcommiting, but unless you got a Political char in your early flop you don't have that many options, since your characters are going to be very inefficient for anything that's not attacking Military all together. What For Greater Glory does - if you managed to get enough Bushi - is setting you up for a snowball: gaining extra Fate on 3 characters can be a massive swing that saves you just enough resources to invest in a beefy Political next round (since you don't have to bring that many Bushi out) , in order to be able to contest that type of conflict as well. In my games, everytime I tried to save my characters for defense, I ended up not breaking the Province and being unable to defend Political (so losing one of my own), while the Crane player simply avoided attacking Militarly. Naturally, for other matchups things may pan out differently (they probably wil), but I don't think the general trend will change that much: Lion is bloody hard to stop when it attacks militarly with a swarm of characters.

One final observation: right now Core Set decks are - mostly due to lack of options - trying to cram many subthemes into a single package, thus making each theme unreliable, but, if in the near future Lion gets more low cost decent Bushi, FGG could end up being pretty good - this doesn't mean a Bushi deck will be able to do without Political characters, quite the opposite. Investing on Military early on, then playing a few selected characters to threaten Political once you have established board presence, sounds to me like the best Lion strategy right now.

Edited by Eu8L1ch