Sign in to follow this  

Undimensioned and Unseen preview

That is a seriously good skill card.

Alyssa... meh.  Her ability has a lot less benefit in multi-player games, and a doom is a high price to pay.  Can always make use of it before you plan to kill her off, but the ally slot is very crowded with great cards.

Also - might want to pull the scenario card from your post.  Lots of people avoid spoilers on them as much as possible.

1 hour ago, Buhallin said:

That is a seriously good skill card.

Alyssa... meh.  Her ability has a lot less benefit in multi-player games, and a doom is a high price to pay.  Can always make use of it before you plan to kill her off, but the ally slot is very crowded with great cards.

Also - might want to pull the scenario card from your post.  Lots of people avoid spoilers on them as much as possible.

So better?

26 minutes ago, Whipporwill said:

I don't know, Alyssa seems to be a good way to avoid a particularly crippling weakness from comming up in a player's deck assuming they aren't hyper drawing through it.

I don't tend to think most weaknesses are that crippling.  There are some exceptions - Baron Samedi is pretty nasty, and Marie would also have the only means to mitigate the doom.  My bigger issue with using her for this is that except for that one card, she's going to do nothing.  Is that worth taking up the very valuable ally slot?  Personal preference, but I'd rather use it on someone that has a better general boost than insurance against two cards in my deck.

19 minutes ago, awp832 said:

still, just a peek at the top card of the encounter deck can help you prepare, and +1 Lore is always welcome.   Mystic only has her and the Arcane Initiate as allies at the moment so I think she's okay.  

Agnes still has access to Peter, who gives agility, eventually willpower, and an excellent horror soak to maximize her own.  Jim's spread is more or less awesome, depending on how willing you are to commit from the five, but Dr. Milan gives the same boost with resource generation to help pay for those very pricey spells.  She honestly seems custom built for Marie, but she can also take Dr. Milan, so...

She's not necessarily awful - and honestly, if she were an amulet she'd be much better.  But I think even for Mystics, who definitely have the most limited options, there are far better allies out there for comparable cost.

But how often does Mystic use agility rather than shrivelling etc. Also Peters ability to soak horror can be overkill. With Mystic's high sanity already Alyssa may be all they need in that respect and +1 lore is always good. I think she will see play. Given her action is free and unlimited it may end up being a great ally.

14 minutes ago, InnsmouthLook said:

But how often does Mystic use agility rather than shrivelling etc. Also Peters ability to soak horror can be overkill. With Mystic's high sanity already Alyssa may be all they need in that respect and +1 lore is always good. I think she will see play. Given her action is free and unlimited it may end up being a great ally.

L2 Peter gives willpower as well, which is far more useful than intellect.  The horror soak for Jim isn't a huge deal, but Agnes wants to be taking horror as much as she can.  Every time she takes 2 horror instead of 1 it's lost damage potential, and Peter fixes that.

While her ability is an obvious synergy with Marie, I don't agree that Marie is the only investigator who could use Alyssa.  Dr Milan is better than Alyssa for +1 lore follower, but I don't see why a lore-centric character wouldn't add Alyssa to their deck so they maximize their chance of drawing a +1 lore follower.  I think Rex would benefit plenty as he really wants to over-succeed on Investigate checks.  Jenny Solo may want a more reliable Investigate check as well.  Ally slots were a very contested aspect of deck building...  but Charisma opens up a LOT of options provided you have access to the experience points.

@BD Flory is also quite right - you don't have to spend a doom to just peak at that next card, which could provide you valuable information about what is coming next from a deck.  It is also a fast action, so there is zero reason not to use her every turn just for the information she provides, whether you bury cards or not.

Edited by shosuko

Eh, fair enough. A big part of my dislike is because I pretty much exclusively play 4 player. Knowing exactly what the encounter deck will throw at you in a phase is much different than knowing 25%.

One thing she does do it open up more options for unique variety. We tend to about unique allies out of class, leaving them for the "primary" investigator. She'll definitely be a decent option for that +1 when your seller has dibs on Milan.

10 hours ago, Buhallin said:

That is a seriously good skill card

It's fine, but very situational. It's completely dead if there's no clues at your location -- which isn't always all the time. And there's a number of scenarios where the clues vanish or otherwise become restricted as the Agenda advances, making it even worse as the clock ticks down for those ones, which is not a card I typically want in my deck.

2 hours ago, Gaffa said:

It's fine, but very situational. It's completely dead if there's no clues at your location -- which isn't always all the time. And there's a number of scenarios where the clues vanish or otherwise become restricted as the Agenda advances, making it even worse as the clock ticks down for those ones, which is not a card I typically want in my deck.

I can see the concern, but still think it's well worth it.  Seeker card icons are dominated by Intellect, which there's dramatically less use for if there are no clues to grab.  So in those situations, it's no more dead than a lot of Seeker cards would be, whether you're drawing a duplicate or just something else you don't really need late game.  There are also scenarios which replenish clues, although I'm not sure which is generally more common.

8 hours ago, BD Flory said:

Her ability is well worth it. Even if you don't cancel because of the doom, it's enough foreknowledge to give you three actions to prepare for your encounter card. The bury and buff just make her better.

This. Free scrying can be a game changer.

6 hours ago, Buhallin said:

I can see the concern, but still think it's well worth it.  Seeker card icons are dominated by Intellect, which there's dramatically less use for if there are no clues to grab.  So in those situations, it's no more dead than a lot of Seeker cards would be, whether you're drawing a duplicate or just something else you don't really need late game.  There are also scenarios which replenish clues, although I'm not sure which is generally more common.

Oh I'm not saying it's bad, but if you actually keep track of how many times you're on top of clues in any given game, even as a multiplayer Seeker, you might be surprised how much time (and how many tests) you make where this card is a literal dead draw. People who are thinking it's a strict upgrade over Unexpected Courage are going to be disappointed, that's all.

15 hours ago, Gaffa said:

Oh I'm not saying it's bad, but if you actually keep track of how many times you're on top of clues in any given game, even as a multiplayer Seeker, you might be surprised how much time (and how many tests) you make where this card is a literal dead draw. People who are thinking it's a strict upgrade over Unexpected Courage are going to be disappointed, that's all.

Seems like a good card to put in "Ashcan" Pete, since you can discard it for his ability if it is useless. 

8 hours ago, C2K said:

Seems like a good card to put in "Ashcan" Pete, since you can discard it for his ability if it is useless. 

That's the reason Pete is my favorite investigator thus far, as no card is ever useless.

On 3-5-2017 at 0:51 AM, shosuko said:

Ally slots were a very contested aspect of deck building...  but Charisma opens up a LOT of options provided you have access to the experience points

Charisma is (in my opinion) one of the best cards to buy as soon as you have the points. Especially in Dunwich solo play, with all the allies you can earn, the extra slot is very sweet.

I play Pete and having Duke, Peter Sylvestre and Dr. Milan Christopher in play together is like having your own Scooby gang.

I also like the fact they used Charlie Kane as the Charisma card art, the man with Connections in Arkham Horror.