RadianT610

Can player do actions simultaneously?

Hello,

A situation from our last game:

I had a spell that turn the opponent die into a roll of 1, while the opponent was about to engage a battle at the Treasure Chamber. First he drank some potions and cast some spells before he engage the battle, and I was ready to cast my spell on his attack-roll die of the battle. When he start to roll the die, BEFORE the die stops, he IMMEDIATELY declared that he use fate on the roll, to make it 6 - because he had that ability. In the very same moment he rolled the die and said the fate thing, I shout that I'm casting the spell and his die have to be 1.

Now the question is - what is the proper way to make those steps in Talisman? Because he didn't declared he about to engage the battle, I didn't cast the spell, he rolled some dice on potions and stuff before, and when he start the battle, he do it very fast and simultaneously: engaged the battle>rolled the die>used fate all in the same time, so I didn't have the time to cast my spell (It's says when a character about to roll a die). Of course he did it to avoid spells like mine, and to be fair - i was very ready to cast this spell and shout out loud immediately the die left his hand.

If I said I'm about to cast a spell in the battle, he might use different potions and spells to avoid my spell.

Is there any clarification about this?

Thanks!

Edited by RadianT610

There is no rules or clarification regarding this.

In cases like this I like to use a rule from Magic The Gathering that states that if there are any timing issues, the active player (player whos turn is happening at that moment) chooses order of things to happen.

I'm not sure the rulebook covers this.

But I don't think you can declare you will do something before you can actually do it and expect it to be binding.

Edited by Bludgeon

Is his ability used before or after the die is cast...? Because if he can change the die roll your spell should be first since it's before the die roll. Fair play definitely says you can cast although he tried to steal your opportunity to do so. Among friends that shouldn't be a problem. 

If both have the same wording  (before rolling) then this shouldn't be a problem because he should be able to state his action in a way that you can't intercept and even if he doesn't I agree with Bludgeon that the active player can choose.

17 hours ago, RadianT610 said:

I had a spell that turn the opponent die into a roll of 1, while the opponent was about to engage a battle at the Treasure Chamber. First he drank some potions and cast some spells before he engage the battle, and I was ready to cast my spell on his attack-roll die of the battle. When he start to roll the die, BEFORE the die stops, he IMMEDIATELY declared that he use fate on the roll, to make it 6 - because he had that ability. In the very same moment he rolled the die and said the fate thing, I shout that I'm casting the spell and his die have to be 1.

Your spell needed to be cast before he rolled the die.  (I'm assuming you were going to cast Misfortune.)  You cannot cast that spell after he has rolled the die, even if the die is still moving.  It must be cast BEFORE the die roll.

And since you cannot cast Misfortune to force your opponent to reroll his die (despite what the Digital Edition allows you to do) his action takes precedent because his is the only legal action according to the rules.

But then again also, if he has the ability to CHANGE the die roll (not reroll it) he can change that 1 into a 6.  Misfortune only causes a person to roll a 1 which cannot be rerolled.  It says nothing about changing the die roll or adding to it.

So either way, in the end his action would have prevailed.

Edited by Osbo25

Somewhere on this forum is a very long debate about order of such things. I apologize I am not gonna find it and link to it. In the end I play by "play nice" rules, as some issues regarding this are unresolved. Just play nice, is my policy.