Sign in to follow this  
slowreflex

What Clan Am I? Recommender Spreadsheet

Was pretty bored this morning and am still trying to decide on a clan, so have made a silly little spreadsheet to help.  When you click on THIS LINK then you need to make a copy in Google Drive or download a local copy in Excel to use it.  I couldn't leave it as Edit as everyone would be editing each others (I don't think it has separate instances).  And, I'm sure this could be a webpage easily, but I don't have the skills for that.  Anyone, maybe it's useful to someone.  Any comments or feedback welcomed.

Summary of functionality:  Uses various FFG descriptions of Lore, Artstyle, and Playstyle to provide a ranking for each clan.  Allows for weightings of Lore, Artstyle, and Playstyle in line personal preference plus scorings for each clan on each element to give a customized score.

Note: For those that know all about the clans already, this is probably pretty pointless as you will easily know which clan is which from the descriptions to rank.

Edited by slowreflex

Well my results were about what I'd expect, but I don't know how objective that is considering I already have preconceived notions of each Clan's lore.

It's a shame we don't have the old Which Clan Are You quiz anymore now that the AEG L5R site is gone. I remember that giving me good results. Does anyone know if a version of that is still around anywhere?

7 minutes ago, shineyorkboy said:

Well my results were about what I'd expect, but I don't know how objective that is considering I already have preconceived notions of each Clan's lore.

It's a shame we don't have the old Which Clan Are You quiz anymore now that the AEG L5R site is gone. I remember that giving me good results. Does anyone know if a version of that is still around anywhere?

Yeah, for those that know a lot about this stuff already, it might not be that useful.  I don't know enough about these aspects to be more general, though I've edited out as many spoilers as possible.

I got:

• Dragon
  • Crane, Crab (Tied)
  • Unicorn
  • Scorpion
  • Lion
  • Phoenix

Like you said, if you have read all about the clans or played the game before, maybe not the most useful thing, but I tried to be fair, and the results did actually offer up a surprise. I have been torn between joining the the Crane, Crab, or Dragon, but the Dragon was kinda always in third place. I'll have to take a closer look at the Dragon as we get to know more about the game, but they are slowly working their way to the top of my list.

1 minute ago, Damocles said:

I got:

• Dragon
  • Crane, Crab (Tied)
  • Unicorn
  • Scorpion
  • Lion
  • Phoenix

Like you said, if you have read all about the clans or played the game before, maybe not the most useful thing, but I tried to be fair, and the results did actually offer up a surprise. I have been torn between joining the the Crane, Crab, or Dragon, but the Dragon was kinda always in third place. I'll have to take a closer look at the Dragon as we get to know more about the game, but they are slowly working their way to the top of my list.

Did you look at the individual scores?  How far was the tied 2nd place score to the 1st place score?

For me, Phoenix and Dragon are the clear winners.  Will have to see if I still feel that way as information about the game progresses.

What's a bit weird is that I am a believer in fate, and my daughter's name is Phoenix, and I was born in the year of the Dragon...

Edited by slowreflex

3 hours ago, Wintersong said:

1. Unicorn

2. Lion

3. Crane

4. Crab

5. Scorpion/Phoenix

7. Dragon

Quite accurate. :wub: Altough the whole Dragon attachment thing could rank higher for myself if it ended being fun a la Tau in Conquest.

It is interesting, since I always thought the path to spiritual enlightenment involved putting aside attachments and things of this world.

9 minutes ago, Builder2 said:

It is interesting, since I always thought the path to spiritual enlightenment involved putting aside attachments and things of this world.

I'm curious how they deal with a clan that is heavy on attachments if there are removal cards in the game.  Might have a way to prevent removals?

2 hours ago, slowreflex said:

Do you think it would be better if I put in pictures of the cards, with the clan mon fuzzed out instead of just the colors?

Picture of freestanding art might be better.

1 minute ago, Daramere said:

Picture of freestanding art might be better.

You mean without the card layouts?  Where can I get a representative picture of each?  Use the ones from the announcements?  Like this?:

l5c01_art_20.png

1 hour ago, Daramere said:

The announcements, or some older L5R art.

Alright, I've done that.  I think it looks better.  Hopefully putting that they are FFG Images on this is sufficient.  I'm not good at this legal stuff.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 minute ago, C3gorach said:

1. Scorpion
2. Dragon
Yeap, that's me! :D

I do hope FFG does a quiz similar to AEG had to orientate the new players to which clan they might enjoy.

Yeah, someone else mentioned AEG had a quiz, but it's not there anymore.  I never did it, but would have liked to.  I remember a similar quiz for MTG Ravnica clans.

I know it would probably be better if it was just generic questions, but I don't really know enough about clans to do that, nor do I have the time right now. :)

2 hours ago, slowreflex said:

I'm curious how they deal with a clan that is heavy on attachments if there are removal cards in the game.  Might have a way to prevent removals?

I wonder how prevalent will attachments be in this game considering how short-lived will characters be. I mean, paying fate for an attachment for a character that is going away at the end of a game seems a bad investment, and paying the same amount of fate for another character, or for events seems more cost effective, unless those attachments are really, really good or cheap. This new economy makes you reconsider everything...

Edited by Mon no Oni

3 hours ago, slowreflex said:

Oh that's not really a problem, they've been dealing with it just fine in other games.

3 hours ago, Builder2 said:

Yea it also surprised me a little bit. Of course it all comes from old L5R, where the Dragon has Kensai and a lot of weapons to attach...

Edited by Katsutoshi

MAYBE some of the expensive attachments will add a Fate to the Character you attach them, OR some Dragon Characters will have an ability that will give them Fate when you give them an attachment...

Edited by C3gorach

I got

1) Dragon

2) Unicorn

3) Phoenix

4) Crab

4)  Scorpion

6) Lion

7) Crane

Seems pretty accurate. I knew Dragon would be my first, and I knew that Unicorn and Phoenix would be my next two choices (though I thought they'd be in the opposite order). The rest of the clans I've had a pretty "meh" reaction to, although I don't particularly hate any other clan either. 

14 hours ago, shineyorkboy said:

I don't know that it is. But that seems like a good thing to have, so I decided to take a crack at one.

Legend of the Five Rings - What Clan Am I?

Please consider this an alpha version. Feel free to suggest better questions, answers, or really anything.