BruceLGL

Homebrew scenarios now available

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:46 AM, scrubbless said:

Just bumping this back up, worth a look if you have not tried Valkyrie yet.

I agree.  I own all the expansions except Sanctum of Twilight (just haven't gotten around to picking it up yet) and have played most of the scenarios many times.  I loaded Valkyrie a month ago to get some new scenarios to play with.  I've tried 3 of the homemade scenarios so far.  One was OK (Exotic Material) - pretty linear in nature to play.  One sounded good (Lair of Rlim Shaikorth) but when we started playing it there was a "trapdoor" in the initial room that really seemed out of place and characters started disappearing without warning as we explored different parts of the mansion - seemed buggy so we quit after 2-3 turns.  The 3rd we tried (Stress & Strain) was phenomenal.   A few minor spelling and grammar errors and I think we had 1 minor gameplay issue, but overall it was very well done - as good as "official" content.  There are multiple endings to this scenario, so there is definitely some replay value with it.   

Edited by Spike IT

I am actually the author of Stress and Strain. I appreciate the feedback and am glad you enjoyed it! I am doing my best to weed out the spelling and grammar mistakes! I hope it didn't destroy your immersion too much. There is a lot of text in there (and a reasonable amount of variation, so several run through's to spot errors). Also if you are looking to play it again, it has 6 player support,and things change up a bit more with 5+ investigators. 

I have an issue tracker if you want to report any specific bugs, and I would be happy to squash them!

https://github.com/scrubbless/PublishedScenarios/issues

Also if you have any suggestions or just want to comment on what you liked /disliked, feel free to open an issue.

Also there is a reviews thread on BGG, which has ratings for every Valkyrie Scenario - its worth looking there when choosing a Scenario to play. Also it would be greatly appreciated if you or your gaming group would like to rate the scenario's you have played. It all helps spread awareness of Valkyrie and gives an indication of which order to play the homebrew scenarios.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1916430/fan-made-scenarios-reviews-valkyrie

One sounded good (Lair of Rlim Shaikorth) but when we started playing it there was a "trapdoor" in the initial room that really seemed out of place and characters started disappearing without warning as we explored different parts of the mansion 

Its a real shame about Lair of Rlim Shaikorth, it was created pretty early on so some bugs may have been introduced with all the changes to Valkyrie (and the Official app). When I played it, I had a really good time. I wonder if the trapdoor was a test mode the author accidentally left in. I have used a tokens off the board, that can be used to jump through a scenario and test certain events. I usually use a clue token at the edge of the board, but I can understand why someone might use a trapdoor :).

If you are up for a challenge, I would recommend "In the Dark". Even if you don't win, the riddle keeps you thinking long after you finished playing :).

Fibally I am working on a second scenario and am nearly done.

It should play within 2 - 2 1/2 hours, 3 star difficulty and only "requires" the base game - its a continuation of the plot from Stress and Strain. However the twist is, I have included content/tiles/monsters from every expansions (including SoT), that will  only pop up if those expansions are selected. The idea being - the more content you have in your library, the more variety there is in the scenario. While the story arch is the same, how it is presented to the player will be different every time :).

It is a massive project, with may moving parts and a lot of visual elements (some, crazy complex to code ones at that). Looking forward to seeing how it is received.  

Edited by scrubbless
Added links and fixed typos

On 6/25/2018 at 4:58 PM, scrubbless said:

I am actually the author of Stress and Strain. I appreciate the feedback and am glad you enjoyed it! I am doing my best to weed out the spelling and grammar mistakes! I hope it didn't destroy your immersion too much. There is a lot of text in there (and a reasonable amount of variation, so several run through's to spot errors). Also if you are looking to play it again, it has 6 player support,and things change up a bit more with 5+ investigators. 

I have an issue tracker if you want to report any specific bugs, and I would be happy to squash them!

https://github.com/scrubbless/PublishedScenarios/issues

Also if you have any suggestions or just want to comment on what you liked /disliked, feel free to open an issue.

Also there is a reviews thread on BGG, which has ratings for every Valkyrie Scenario - its worth looking there when choosing a Scenario to play. Also it would be greatly appreciated if you or your gaming group would like to rate the scenario's you have played. It all helps spread awareness of Valkyrie and gives an indication of which order to play the homebrew scenarios.

Its a real shame about Lair of Rlim Shaikorth, it was created pretty early on so some bugs may have been introduced with all the changes to Valkyrie (and the Official app). When I played it, I had a really good time. I wonder if the trapdoor was a test mode the author accidentally left in. I have used a tokens off the board, that can be used to jump through a scenario and test certain events. I usually use a clue token at the edge of the board, but I can understand why someone might use a trapdoor :).

If you are up for a challenge, I would recommend "In the Dark". Even if you don't win, the riddle keeps you thinking long after you finished playing :).

Fibally I am working on a second scenario and am nearly done.

It should play within 2 - 2 1/2 hours, 3 star difficulty and only "requires" the base game - its a continuation of the plot from Stress and Strain. However the twist is, I have included content/tiles/monsters from every expansions (including SoT), that will  only pop up if those expansions are selected. The idea being - the more content you have in your library, the more variety there is in the scenario. While the story arch is the same, how it is presented to the player will be different every time :).

It is a massive project, with may moving parts and a lot of visual elements (some, crazy complex to code ones at that). Looking forward to seeing how it is received.  

Sounds awesome, definitely going to check out Stress and Strain

Just checking in.

A new scenario has been released in the past few days, Amnesia! Check it out in the Valkyrie downloads section.

(Start Scenario > Downloads).

I am personally (as well as the above mentioned  second scenario), working on an English Translation for 'Razon' which will have the title "22:30 at the bird shop". Keep an eye out for it!

Edited by scrubbless

On 7/5/2018 at 1:04 AM, scrubbless said:

Just checking in.

A new scenario has been released in the past few days, Amnesia! Check it out in the Valkyrie downloads section.

(Start Scenario > Downloads).

I am personally (as well as the above mentioned  second scenario), working on an English Translation for 'Razon' which will have the title "22:30 at the bird shop". Keep an eye out for it!

Thanks for the update.  Look forward to trying anything new that comes out.  Glad there is an English translation for Razon coming. 

Hello All,

Just to let you know I have completed my sequel to "Stress and Strain". Once the Valkyrie team has added it to the download list it will be available to play.

If you enjoy this or any Valkyrie scenario please drop by BGG and put in a vote. Your feedback really helps content creators improve their scenarios.

If you have never heard of Valkyrie you can get more information on it here:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki

I have also written a guide, the first few pages after the content will walk you through installing Valkyrie. The rest is a guide (MoM focused) on how to use Editor to create scenarios:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gi5gTwKkw84Px0Lvk-bJ3Aml_vF3ZoljjB6a8FjWGt8/edit

Finally if anyone is interested in discussing Valkyrie, wants tips or just to get in contact, feel free to join our the discord:

https://discord.gg/yrVeSVt

Edited by scrubbless

Just to keep this updated, the community involvement in Valkyrie has been really great. More and more scenarios are being released and the reviews threads on bgg are quite active.

Some work is being done on an in game reviews system also, which is really shaping up.

It is good to see that there are a lot of new scenarios been made. I love the idea of this app, and it has not been updated for a long time so I was a bit worried if the development was dying out, but I also have to admit that I am not using it, primarily because the interface is still just black and white boxes (at least, it was last time I checked). I know that is a really superficial reason, but I am a very visual person and the interface detracts from the experience, unfortunately.

14 hours ago, Sodiumbrella said:

It is good to see that there are a lot of new scenarios been made. I love the idea of this app, and it has not been updated for a long time so I was a bit worried if the development was dying out, but I also have to admit that I am not using it, primarily because the interface is still just black and white boxes (at least, it was last time I checked). I know that is a really superficial reason, but I am a very visual person and the interface detracts from the experience, unfortunately.

Everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion but not to their own personal facts.

I love the idea of this app, and it has not been updated for a long time so I was a bit worried if the development was dying out

There has been numerous new versions of the app released.  I've lost count there's been so many.   There is currently a major new version in beta-test which will be released soon.

I also have to admit that I am not using it, primarily because the interface is still just black and white boxes (at least, it was last time I checked)

You've not downloaded it for a long while and you've not noticed it's been updated several times.  Maybe you should check again!

You are the only person I've come across who believes the Valkyrie interface is just black and white boxes. 

I'm trying not to be unkind but did you download the following app?

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/releases/tag/release/2.0/v2.0.1

Did you check you're running it correctly?

If you've got a very old version maybe try deleting it to ensure you are running the very latest version.

Then give 'A Strain on Reality' a go and come back and post whether Valkyrie is just black and white boxes!

I think the "black and white boxes" probably refers to how you setup and select a scenario. Actually running a scenario is much like the official app, from my experience (tho' I confess I've not tried many custom scenarios yet). It works quite smoothly.

Nicola Zealey,

I am indeed running the latest version and I stand by my assertion that the interface is black and white boxes. I am not talking about the game board, that does look good and a lot of like the official apps, but rather all the buttons and text boxes. As I said, it is a superficial issue, but one that ruins the experience for me a bit.

And according to the github page, the latest version is from April 27 which felt like a long time ago to me, especially considering, as you have mentioned, that it used to be updated very frequently. I did not know about the upcoming beta version but I am looking forward to seeing what is included in it.

I am sorry if I came across as overly negative. I am not. I think it is a great project, and it has come a long way since the beginnings.

Edited by Sodiumbrella

I've tried to make the scenarios I write graphically rich. The interface for Valkyrie is simple, but so is windows 10 :).

Its just a style choice. 

As for updates, it generally only updates when major content releases come out (like expansions). But bugs are getting fixed and enhancements in beta versions are still going on.

As for graphically rich scenario content, its hard to find examples that don't spoiler the scenario.

Edited by scrubbless

Hello All, 

I am pleased to announce that a new version of Valkyrie is available - 2.1.0. Thank you BenRQ and Redwolf for your hard work in getting this release ready.

You can find from the main page of the Valkyrie GitHub, or using the link below:
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/releases

I won't go over all the details, check the change log for that. But this version brings some very big changes, the highlights are below:

- An in game reviews system, assuming a scenario has been coded correctly you will be be given an option to rate your experience, rank the scenario in game and even leave comments for the authors. Look out for it after your next game!

- The in game layout has been updated to give a cleaner looking interface, which also includes "Investigator Phase" and "Mythos Phase" splash screens, to avoid rounds being accidentally skipped.

- Several bug fixes have been implemented that have improved the performance of Valkyrie, including the "Save Game" (or Undo) bug.

The ones above and many more improvements have been made to the application, enjoy!

Edited by scrubbless

This is really fantastic, thanks for all the work.

One problem for me is that I have all these nice minis that I have painted, but then only used once, or even none with some of the bigger ones because the scenario never went that way when I played it...so ways to offer more replayability with existing parts of the game is just what is needed. Knowing that there will be ways to use the game when I run out of official content makes me much more inclined to buy expansions and overall makes it feel better to own all of the game.

The company should promote this in some way. Surely it is good business to have a fan base that gives the game longevitiy. Hold a design contest, perhaps?

7 hours ago, Vortid said:

This is really fantastic, thanks for all the work.

One problem for me is that I have all these nice minis that I have painted, but then only used once, or even none with some of the bigger ones because the scenario never went that way when I played it...so ways to offer more replayability with existing parts of the game is just what is needed. Knowing that there will be ways to use the game when I run out of official content makes me much more inclined to buy expansions and overall makes it feel better to own all of the game.

The company should promote this in some way. Surely it is good business to have a fan base that gives the game longevitiy. Hold a design contest, perhaps?

If you want something done then maybe do it yourself?  :)

Rather than wait for FFG to promote Valkyrie why not promote it yourself on the forums?

A little bit of promotion on forums such as this one and BGG may encourage others to give Valkyrie a go.

Ten more scenarios (Italian only at the moment) have been added to Valkyrie.

This brings the number of available scenarios to 33.

If anyone is interested in translating any scenario or would like to get involved in another way open an issue on Valkyrie GitHub:
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues

Or joins us on discord:
https://discord.gg/3a6nwv

Edit: Corrected my assumption.

Edited by scrubbless

On Tue Oct 30 2018 at 11:57 PM, scrubbless said:

Ten more scenarios (Spanish only at the moment) have been added to Valkyrie.

Italian, not Spanish. But It is nice, anyway.

It would be perfect if we could filter missions by language in Valkyrie (just a suggestion).

Edited by gran_orco

You select your language from the main screen. Some scenarios are translated into multiple languages.

But some visibility of available languages might be handy, I'll raise it.

Edited by scrubbless

Hello !

Do you know how we can edit existing homemade scenarios ? I am really impressed by the UI manipulation of "The lair of Rlim Shaikorth" scenario, and I want to understand how it's work ...

Sorry for my bad english, I am a french player 😅

4 hours ago, Maluskhan said:

Do you know how we can edit existing homemade scenarios

In Valkyrie, select "Scenario Editor", then press "Copy".  You will be presented with a list of all scenarios you have downloaded.  Select one and it will be copied for you to... play around with.

As a separate idea for Valkyrie, I wonder if it could be used to process all possible maps for a scenario (including the official ones), to give all possible map sizes... I played recently but the mansion overran the edge of my small table so had to rotate the whole board by 90 degrees.

24 minutes ago, icabod said:

As a separate idea for Valkyrie, I wonder if it could be used to process all possible maps for a scenario (including the official ones), to give all possible map sizes... I played recently but the mansion overran the edge of my small table so had to rotate the whole board by 90 degrees.

Thank you for your answer !

I agree with you, I had the same issues during some games. That's why I will probably add the map sizes in the description of my scenario.

Edited by Maluskhan

You can't do anything to official scenarios in Valkyrie.

However you could copy the scenario as above and then open it in the editor. Every tile that is placed with be shown in the editor.

But it's a good idea, not sure how it could be done natively but we could have a section in the scenario intro that states map size small / medium / large.

We can't calculate based on tiles used, as you can overlay tiles (that may not be used) for additional variation.

For example A Strain on Reality uses about 14-16 small tiles (large = 2 small) at any one time. But over 30 small tiles are available to be used and randomly picked.

On a completely unrelated note, I am working on reporting of statistics output from the new reviews system in Valkyrie. I'll post more once it's complete.

Edited by scrubbless

Someone knows how to manage the music in Valkyrie ?! Everytime I test my scenario there is a superposition of my music and the original music of the game ... Any advice ?

I tried to cut the music in the event with the trigger EventStart but not success ...

Edited by Maluskhan