BruceLGL

Homebrew scenarios now available

Hi guys!

I have to join in in the praise for this.

I downloaded it cause I was curious and loved the idea of homebrewed scenarios (and the possibility to get 1 edtition and p.o.d scenarios for MoM 2edition)

I had no idea it was so well made with the same GUI as the original app, with sound and everything.

Awesome!

I´d love to see homebrew versions of:
Seasons of the witch
The yellow sign
Til death do us part 
The silver tablet

Edited by Waloddi

I am SO excited about this.  I never look in the board game forums.  I did today out of boredom.  I'm so glad I did!  My wife and I love this game.  She's going to love having extra content.

1 hour ago, aenima said:

hello! I'd like to help this project making the italian traslation... what have I to do? :)

You can access the latest version of the engish file for The Truth here
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NPBruce/valkyrie-questdata/master/source/MoM/TheTruth/Localization.English.txt

You can either create a new file and send it to myself or Bruce and I can push your new file or you can access it through gitHub and push your new file. If you need assistance with gitHub I can help with the basics.

Please refer back to Bruce's post on the previous page for his files, although you may want to confirm the translation with him first.

Edited by Vazzucious

Hi, I wanted to report some bugs.

One pertains The app itself (only played exotic material, but i assume may apply to other scenarios):

1) Loading a saved game.

-Have a game with monsters that have copy id's (say two cultists, one should have a colored token). In my case, there was one extra riot, one priest of dagon, and many cultists.

-Save the game. (I saved and quit the app, turned down my pc and started the next day)

-Load the game. The extra monsters will disappear. Also, the message log will show a white square and you can't read the previous logs and also you can't read any new logs.

2) contains spoilers for exotic material

On the monster step, the message "As the Riot approaches, one of their number pulls out a bottle with oil-damp rag (...)" goes for four lines, then it is cut abruptly at "place Fire in your space, then you and". Also, and I'm not sure about it, but I think that the fire this same message created didn't make the spread fire event message show.

9 hours ago, falveryn said:

1) Loading a saved game.

-Have a game with monsters that have copy id's (say two cultists, one should have a colored token). In my case, there was one extra riot, one priest of dagon, and many cultists.

-Save the game. (I saved and quit the app, turned down my pc and started the next day)

-Load the game. The extra monsters will disappear. Also, the message log will show a white square and you can't read the previous logs and also you can't read any new logs.

Issue added here:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/540

The log issue is most likely this, which is fixed for 1`.3:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/531

9 hours ago, falveryn said:

2) contains spoilers for exotic material

Reveal hidden contents

On the monster step, the message "As the Riot approaches, one of their number pulls out a bottle with oil-damp rag (...)" goes for four lines, then it is cut abruptly at "place Fire in your space, then you and". Also, and I'm not sure about it, but I think that the fire this same message created didn't make the spread fire event message show.

Missing text is fixed for 1.3:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/532

Auto set for fire isn't in yet:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/328

Update: 1.3 is in RC here if you want to test it, should be out soon:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/releases

Edited by BruceLGL

All of this is great, maybe a little tutorial for the editor would make easier to make new scenarios.. Many peoples are not used to events, trigger etc. 
Would be great if this app was more popular, did you try to spam it over facebook fun club? More players , more scenarios, more fun.

If you write any kind of tutorial I could traslate it in italian 

6 hours ago, pella91 said:

All of this is great, maybe a little tutorial for the editor would make easier to make new scenarios.. Many peoples are not used to events, trigger etc. 
Would be great if this app was more popular, did you try to spam it over facebook fun club? More players , more scenarios, more fun.

If you write any kind of tutorial I could traslate it in italian 

There are actually a few Tutorials written in the Wiki section found here. In fact at the bottom of that page is a link to the Quest Creation Guide, which has a lot of links to various ways of using the software. If you have more specific questions that aren't found there you can always search the Issues section for upcoming fixes, or to get some insight from other creators.

Edited by LordPyrex

17 hours ago, LordPyrex said:

There are actually a few Tutorials written in the Wiki section found here. In fact at the bottom of that page is a link to the Quest Creation Guide, which has a lot of links to various ways of using the software. If you have more specific questions that aren't found there you can always search the Issues section for upcoming fixes, or to get some insight from other creators.

Fantastic! Many thanks

Important Information:

It would appear FFG have taken steps to block Valkyrie. MoM 1.3.6 has changed the way that text is stored and the import no longer works. If you have an import from an earlier version of MoM Valkyrie will continue to work. Otherwise you will need to roll back MoM to import before you can use Valkyrie (after importing you can upgrade MoM).

55 minutes ago, BruceLGL said:

Important Information:

It would appear FFG have taken steps to block Valkyrie. MoM 1.3.6 has changed the way that text is stored and the import no longer works. If you have an import from an earlier version of MoM Valkyrie will continue to work. Otherwise you will need to roll back MoM to import before you can use Valkyrie (after importing you can upgrade MoM).

It's pretty much unprecedented, FFG has always encouraged fans to develop their variants and stuff. I imagine it's yet another marvellous news from the Asmodee management

20 hours ago, BruceLGL said:

It would appear FFG have taken steps to block Valkyrie. MoM 1.3.6 has changed the way that text is stored and the import no longer works.

Just because there are changes during the development of the app that does not mean that these are specifically aimed at Valkyrie or other software. In fact, it would surprise me if FFG's developers would take compatibility with a 3rd party software outside their control into consideration when making changes to the app or if no updates ever broke a software that completely relies on data from the app to work.

But there are more than enough innocent reasons to change the way text is stored by an app, especially when developing for different environments and when internationalization is a major concern. On the other hand, going through the trouble of refactoring the app at times when apperently IT resources are stretched thin, just to get at someone who in all likelyhood is not even costing you business, seems excessive.

FFG putting time and resources into making life harder for the Valkyrie developers "just because" sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. It is far more likely that they simply never gave any thought to it when making the changes.

Update: NOTE: New evidence suggests this is not deliberate, please hold judgement until more work is done.

Investigations are ongoing, however intention is looking very likely.  Evidence:

1: As mentioned FFG have clearly shown their resources are thin for app development, so why make a structural change, which thus far in my investigation doesn't show any clear benefit?

2: 1.3.6 is a minor update with the only listed change being to add 1 language to 2 scenarios.

3: This is not the first time.  The MoM app previously used obfuscation to make the text unreadable.  This was easily defeated, but it showed intent.

4: The above mentioned obfuscation system has been removed.  While it wasn't doing anything, it wasn't doing any harm either, and why would that be removed (replaced) in a minor patch?

5: I am sick/busy so I haven't had a solid block of time to sort this out, but I have spend a bit of time and have not yet worked out what they have done.  Without going into (very) technical details (I can if someone wants) this means it is very likely that there is been a deliberate attempt to make it hard to find.

6: Even if they don't care about Valkyrie, another consideration is that 1.3.6 may include text from Streets of Arkham that they don't want leaked.

I will update when I have more information.  Even if this is defeated, it makes it hard to get motivated to improve Valkyrie if FFG are going to pull things like this.

Edited by BruceLGL

I agree we should wait a bit. Also, if FFG is changing its approach to third party app-based content, it should be reflected in Descent 2 if they don't intend to abandon Descent, that is, and any upcoming games (like the rumored IA app). It should be evaluated in the long run, imo, and not because one patch changed a bit of stuff.

Anyways, thanks for the hard work both Bruce and FFG.

Kudos to you for clearing that up. ??

And thank you for your dedication to and enthusiasm for the project, even in face of adversity (or annoyance). ??

Nice! Thanks for your hard work.

I was going to suggest we might've percieved tech personell was spread thin because of the delay between MoM announcements (+ that they were hiring and seemed to focus on other products), but really it might've been because the invisible and cumbersome work of refactoring the code was necessary for new/future features, designs, content, and/or workflow. Ease of translation/localization would fall in the last category.

Edited by Aelitafrommars

wow.  Great job.  This was/is desperately needed for this game.  This is a fantastic game, but without a steady stream of new scenarios or the ability to create your own it will stagnate.