Mich the One

If you had to choose one quest...

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am coming back to this great game after a very long period of not playing. The last quests I played were from The Ring Maker cycle and The Black Riders saga. 

I want to rekindle my love for the game. Which one of the newer quests would you recommend to me? I will play all of them eventually in order some day, but for now I want to hear about your special pick. I play 1-hand solo.

Thanks

Edited by Mich the One

Posted (edited)

A Shadow of the Past For newer quests, try Flame of the West. It has Battle of Pelennor Fields, which is amazing.

Edited by Kakita Shiro

I assume "newer quests" means from lost realm/road darkens or later, since you stopped during/after ringmaker/black riders.

The one quest I think everyone should have played is "Helm's Deep" from the 3rd saga-expansion "the treason of Saruman". It's not that easy, but capture's the theme and atmosphere the book creates perfectly. Iirc this quest also was the winner of the quests championship that was run here a while ago, so it is a bit of a "mainstream recommendation".

Yeah you only wanted "the one quest", but I can't keep myself from entioning some more, as there were many memorable quests in the newer cycles: If you love "extreme" difficulty go for "the battle of carn-Dûm" (Angmar Awakens-cycle AP 5). High replay-ability and an interessting twist for the location mechanic can be found in "temple of the deceived" (dreamchaser-cycle AP 3). My personal favourite from Harad so far is "the long arm of Mordor" (Sands of hard-box) with another take on the "captive heroes"-mechanic.

But as I said "Helm's Deep", for me, is the one quest you should know.

Authraw likes this

Helm's Deep is a good suggestion, if you're looking for just one quest. The Grey Havens / Dreamchaser cycle has been my favorite cycle so far, although I think Lost Realm / Angmar Awakens has the best player cards. 

donkler likes this

15 minutes ago, divinityofnumber said:

I have to second Steward's Fear. Such an awesome scenario. Encounter at Amon Din is also really, really fun. 

Take note that it's mechanically fun, not "grind your teeth into the dust" fun. Many people complain about this quest being too easy, while failing to realize it means you can go with non-meta decks and still have fun and decent challenge without being steamrolled.

Voyage Across Belegaer (the first quest from The Grey Havens) and/or Flight of the Stormcaller (the first pack in the Dream-Chaser cycle)

donkler likes this

Posted (edited)

I play solo one handed - i have not got all the expansions yet but i have played quite a lot. I put my thoughts about the quests (not the player cards) on my website so feel free to take a look.

http://crusadersgolf.co.uk/board-games/lord-of-the-rings-lcg/

Favourite quests will vary hugely from person to person depending on each players preferences for difficulty or theme. If you just want one more box (after Ring Maker) and are not thinking about the whole cycle i would go for Flame of the West saga box as it has a good mix of a quick time limited one with corsairs, a really good phantom undead scenario and an epic 5 stage quest called Battle of Pelennor Fields. Its a good all-rounder for one box and has nice heroes too. If you want a box with potential to extend into a cycle then I liked Lost Realms which has two Orc based quests and another good undead one and then i did like a lot of the Angmar cycle afterwards.

If you want to consider Stewards Fear you would have to buy the Numenor box too, so its not possible to get that quest on its own as such. I have not played Helms Deep so will put that on my list to check up on too.

Edited by Crusaderlord

I think that pretty much all quests from Lost Realm onwards are reliably good, but my pick would be Storm on Cobas Haven as my favourite quest from recent times.

donkler and dr00 like this

On 2017-05-02 at 0:51 PM, Crusaderlord said:

I play solo one handed - i have not got all the expansions yet but i have played quite a lot. I put my thoughts about the quests (not the player cards) on my website so feel free to take a look.

http://crusadersgolf.co.uk/board-games/lord-of-the-rings-lcg/

Favourite quests will vary hugely from person to person depending on each players preferences for difficulty or theme. If you just want one more box (after Ring Maker) and are not thinking about the whole cycle i would go for Flame of the West saga box as it has a good mix of a quick time limited one with corsairs, a really good phantom undead scenario and an epic 5 stage quest called Battle of Pelennor Fields. Its a good all-rounder for one box and has nice heroes too. If you want a box with potential to extend into a cycle then I liked Lost Realms which has two Orc based quests and another good undead one and then i did like a lot of the Angmar cycle afterwards.

If you want to consider Stewards Fear you would have to buy the Numenor box too, so its not possible to get that quest on its own as such. I have not played Helms Deep so will put that on my list to check up on too.

I am not able to open your link, I get an error with the URL. 

The entire Dream-Chaser cycle specifically has really varied and engaging quests I think. They are all pretty doable one handed as well.

dr00 likes this

Battle of Pelennor Fields will probably be my pick too. But helm's deep, Battle of Carn Dum, ruins of belegost and Storm on Cobas Haven also get close to be picked :).

On 5/3/2017 at 3:38 AM, Yepesnopes said:

Murder at the Prancing Pony or Ruins of Belegost are amazing!

I second both of these, Murder at the Prancing Pony remains one of my most played quests.