Sign in to follow this  
Budgernaut

Budgernaut's Daqan concepts

So despite my resistance to buying a core (preferring instead to wait for the Uthuk), it looks like my greed has gotten the better of me and I'll soon be in possession of a Daqan army. As such, I need to figure out how to paint it.

Here's my dilemma, I love the color orange, but I also really want a standard-looking Daqan force so that it actually looks like Daqan Lords and not some random medieval army. While the thought of orange armor instead of blue makes me somewhat giddy inside, I think I'll regret it in the long run. Instead, I think I want to find a way to accent the blue with some orange. My first thought is to use orange instead of white for the cloth and the spear wrappings. Below is a digital concept of how this might look. I took a screenshot of a Spearmen figure from the Daqan painting guide and put a translucent layer of orange over the white.

I don't think I'm quite happy with it, but I'm not sure what to change.  Do I use a different shade of orange? Do I need to use silver instead of gold trimming to make this work? Are these colors just not going to mesh well together?

a1158482-c104-4c78-9117-327c277d8cf8_zps

Edited by Budgernaut

I love the blue gold! I don't hate the orange but maybe try a different shade? Is there maybe an orange that is more redish you can use? Either way, if I saw that army across the table I would be very excited! Thats just my personal take on the color, very nice either way.

This does not work at all in my opinion. Yellow/orange is the complementary color to blue, but as a yellowish color, the gold trimming is already acting as the complementary color here, so adding a second complementary color (orange) is probably why this looks so strange. Using the colors that are diadic to blue on the chromatic wheel (red and light green) is probably a better idea. Personally I think red would work the best, and it would have the added advantage to tie up with the Oathsworn cavalry.

If you insist on using orange, I would indeed suggest that you do the trimmings in silver then.

Just my two cents. :)

Edited by Xargonaut

The orange "works" since its an offmatch on the color wheel (not direct compliments but close), but i think the main issue here is the way you presented it.

Paint a test model, use either a brighter blue or darker orange so they have a similar tone and they will probably look much better than this quickie paintshop demo. Right now it shows you wanting to have bright, flaming orange bands with the dull/dark blue and gold armor, and thats a nono. Typically, the off color of any scheme shouldnt completely overshadow the main color

Edited by Vineheart01

I've messed around a little more with Inkscape and I think I agree that the gold is the problem. When I scale back the orange so it doesn't clash so hard with the blue, it tends to "blend in" with the gold. I may torture my Citadel Guards from BattleLore this weekend by putting different color combos on them. 

2 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

I'll soon be in possession of a Daqan army.

Sorry, everything after that sentence was just background noise - I was too busy running around the room whooping for joy that you've finally caved in!

... but seriously though, I'm with Klonoa and Xargonaut here and would suggest going for a redder orange or a silver trim.

Edited by maxam
clarity