clanmccracken

Speculation about the contents of the Starter Set

7 hours ago, twinstarbmc said:

We're gonna speculate and have a good time!

It's time to come together
It's up to you, what's your pleasure?
Everyone in Rokugan come on!

Nice one!

Okay, hadden tought of it like that! :D I was going for Phoenix Wright (Objection!) or Megumin (Explosion!)

Okay so if the "2 Players" icon on the product info page refers to there being enough cards for two players, does that mean that this game could, potentially, support games with over two players? I'm going to be trying to get my Magic-playing friends into this when it launches, but we usually play multiplayer games together, so if this game only supports two players it might be a bit difficult to get them to play. Not that I won't try :)

1 hour ago, Mandalore525 said:

Okay so if the "2 Players" icon on the product info page refers to there being enough cards for two players

That doesn't seem likely to me, but  there's an easy way to test it. The AGoT product page says "2-4 players". Does that core set come with enough cards for four players?

14 minutes ago, Yoritomo Reiu said:

That doesn't seem likely to me, but  there's an easy way to test it. The AGoT product page says "2-4 players". Does that core set come with enough cards for four players?

IIRC, there were enough cards to build 4 decks, but those were not 60-cards decks.

My guess here is with one core set you'll be able to build 2 decks, but they won't be 40/40.

13 hours ago, Ser Nakata said:

IIRC, there were enough cards to build 4 decks, but those were not 60-cards decks.

My guess here is with one core set you'll be able to build 2 decks, but they won't be 40/40.

I'm with you there. Their market research must have revealed a preference for smaller decks among the kitchen table audience.

From the Spanish web page for the product: http://www.fantasyflightgames.es/juegos/articulo/la_leyenda_de_los_cinco_anillos_el_juego_de_cartas/la_leyenda_de_los_5_anillos_el_juego_de_cartas

CONTENTS: 

7 Stronghold cards, 17 Province cards, 117 Dinasty cards, 98 Conflict cards, 5 Personality cards, 20 condition tokens (honor state?), 2 reference cards, 40 Fate tokens, 50 Honor tokens, 1 Imperial Favor card, 1 Initial Player token, 2 Honor dials, 5 Ring tokens, 1 Learn to Play book.          

Well, that implies a lot.

5 personality cards would imply a similar multiplayer mechanic to AGoT, I think.

I also believe that's the number of cards entirely, since I am pretty sure that Rebuild is 136.  Unless Rebuild is 146...

• Stronghold: 1-7
  • Provinces: 8 - 24
  • Dynasty: 25 - 141 (14 per Clan and 19 Neutral)
  • Conflict: 142 - 239 (I'm not sure what the breakdown of that would be:  9 per clan and 42 Neutral??)

That doesn't quite seem likely.

My guesses (besides the 7 strongholds and 17 provinces like everybody) were 14 dynasty cards per clan and 10 dynasty neutral cards, and 10 conflict cards per clan.

It's still likely, and is coherent with your numbers. It means we have Strongholds : 1-7 / Provinces : 8-24 / Clans dynasty cards : 25-122 / Neutral dynasty cards : 123-132 (with 9 duplicates to have the 117 dynasty cards total) / Clan conflict cards : 133-202 / Neutral conflict cards : 203- around 218 (which match with Assassination as first neutral conflict card and gives around 12 duplicates for neutral conflict cards).

1 minute ago, twinstarbmc said:

"5 Personality Cards"?  What in the world...

Well, it could have been role cards for Multiplayer like in AGoT (Imperial Advisor, Emerald Champion, Jade CHampion, etc.) but considering the bproduct page says 2 players, I'm assuming these will be the equivalent of Sensei. 

The first thing that came to mind were the 5 offices given as reward for the Race to the Throne (Shogun, Chancellor, Voice, Treasurer and Advisor) but I don't really think it would match with the time period (especially Shogun).

Maybe if we take the Winds from the Toturi III era? There were 4 (Left Hand, Right Hand, Under Hand, Voice), maybe there's something else that could be added and coherent?

But I agree with Nakata, it would be a bit weird to have them be roles for multiplayer when the game is announced for only 2 players.

Edited by KerenRhys

What bothers me in this list is that you mix roles that are traditionnally matched with whole clans and offices that are run by a single individual (and his retinue sure but it's still very different from a whole clan).

Just now, KerenRhys said:

What bothers me in this list is that you mix roles that are traditionnally matched with whole clans and offices that are run by a single individual (and his retinue sure but it's still very different from a whole clan).

You're right, it wasn't well thought out.

• Emerald Champion
  • Imperial Chancellor
  • Jade Champion
  • Imperial Advisor
  • Imperial Herald

2 hours ago, barrufet said:

7 Stronghold cards, 17 Province cards, 117 Dinasty cards, 98 Conflict cards, 5 Personality cards, 20 condition tokens (honor state?), 2 reference cards, 40 Fate tokens, 50 Honor tokens, 1 Imperial Favor card, 1 Initial Player token, 2 Honor dials, 5 Ring tokens, 1 Learn to Play book.          

Notices where the 'Personality cards' fits in with everything else. Everything before the personality cards is definitely a game card (something you can not play the game without), while everything after the personality cards is a game piece. Either a token, or something to help you play, but really you don't NEED it to play the game. You could use pennies or scraps of paper to fill any of the rolls the tokens will be using. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I bet the personality cards are not going to be super integral to the game. Perhaps they give a quick break down of the clans, or important people to the lore of this time period, or perhaps even a quick break down of rules for keyword abilities. If printed front and back they could easily cover any or all of these functions.