Schu81

Your biggest fails in X-Wing

Back in the days of wave 2 i played one of my very first games. At some point my Outer Rim Smuggler (yes, we didn't know how overpriced he was) was chasing some Tie Fighters of my opponent when I landed on a rock. As we were both struggling with all the rules the turns took a lot of time. A while later I landed my Smuggler again on a rock. Then my opponent mentioned: "Didn't you just make 4 hard turns in a row and land on the exact same rock like 4 turns before?" 

Yes, I really just made a full turn. Who would have known the rock was still there... :wacko:

When my brother in law was first teaching me the game, we did the core set battle thing. I had Luke and he had the 2 TIE fighters. We placed some rocks out there, put our ships across from each other, and set our dials. So my first maneuver ever in this game I did a 3-bank and landed Luke directly on a rock I placed. Not just a little bit either, the whole ship base was sitting on the thing. We had a good laugh. I'm marginally better at avoiding them nowadays. :lol:

More recently during the Epic tourney at Adepticon, I was flying the Raider with Quad Laser Cannons up front*. My first target of the game with it was a TIE bomber at range 2. First shot with the cannons: 3 eyeballs. Second shot: 3 eyeballs. Primary attack: 3 eyeballs and a blank. I don't know what the odds are for getting 9 focus results out of 10 attack dice, but it has to be pretty low. I'm pretty sure that's the rarest set of die rolls I've ever had in my X-Wing career, lol.

*Additional fail: I wanted to run the munitions version of the Raider originally, but I couldn't find the Ordnance Tubes upgrade card when I was packing up to leave, so I ran it with the cannons instead. The participation prize for the epic events was an alt-art Ordnance Tubes.

I don't think bad rolls qualify as fails, cause what can you do, really? Sometimes they don't roll your way. I threw 17 dice at Biggs once (two Phantoms, over two turns) and the sonofabitch came out with only his shields down. Needless to say, I was pissed and my Phantoms were space-dust quite soon after that. Meh, what can you do.

As far as fails go, I flew a couple of ships off the board and forgot FCS for a whole game's length. You know, the usual. But my best blunder was deploying Howlrunner to face towards the edge of the field. My opponent was gracious enough to let me correct that, but still. Concentrate, fool!

3 minutes ago, Smutpedler said:

First time using Palp I had him on a Lambda with Sensor Jammer. I used it as an OGP for 3 games before I realised my brain was broken.

Pretty sure I only beat you because you didn't once remember Sensor Jammer ?

Too many to recall but my most recent one happend at the last local event I attended. I was running Backdraft with juke and comm relay, I put my list together in a mad rush the night before and it wasn't until the first game was underway that my opponent pointed out that the S/F has no evade action and so I had to go the whole day flying with this handicap. Still managed to go 3-2 but man was my face red after my mistake was broadcast to everyone on the room! :lol:

Edited by Thunderchild

I forgot to use Predator on Vader so many times I just stopped putting it on lol.  I would go so far as to move the card onto the mat near my ship (or at least right in front of me) and would still forget sometimes.

My phone, which I had purchased less than a month ago, got lost/stolen at a tournament I was doing reasonably well in. Instead of doing the reasonable thing and calling it a day to do an all out search for my phone, I decided to "forget about it" and attempted to continue to play. Needless to say, the annoyance of losing my phone, plus the absolute fear of what my wife was going to say when she heard I no longer had that new phone she just got me (and that I decided to continue to play Xwing instead of stop when I realized this), made my level of play absolutely atrocious. I could have handily won the game if I had my head on straight, but my play was so poor, I even barrel rolled INTO a block where I would have had a range 1, 5 dice attack with no return fire if I had not.

I dropped from the tournament and asked around and retraced my steps after that game, but never found my phone. :( I have a suspicion I left it on my tray at the restaurant I ate at and threw it away... Yes, I am that idiot you know who would do something like that... Just don't tell my wife. She's still pretty sure it was stolen. I think it's okay she believes that. :ph34r:

Rereading this, I'm pretty sure this is a life fail more than it's an X-wing fail. :mellow:

Edited by Kdubb

At my first Regionals I decided to choose my list purely from my painted ships. I ended up dead last. To add insult to injury - second last was my little brother who beat me with a modified win. Now I choose my list first and then paint them.

The other big fail was when I almost burnt down my house the night before a tournament. I was cutting foam inserts for a box to carry my squad (using my laser engraver). I didn't watch it close enough and lit my wife's craft room on fire.......

I'm still new to the game, I've only had it for a couple months and only played a handful of games....

THAT BEING SAID....

Using a Falcon (the loadout doesn't matter... at all), I was in prime position to sharp turn to the left and unload some fiery revenge on an unshielded Defender. I set my dial and wait... my turn comes! YES! FINALLY! VENGEANCE! 

I set the dial wrong.

I flew to the right.

Going right sent me off the board.

What resulted was a bloodbath on what remained of my ships.

Forgetting to set my dial at the beginning of a game for my 55 point Dengar. He was at the side of the board and my opponent elected to fly it off.

It was a regional and I was 4-0 at the time. Safe to say I lost the game, and went on to lose very narrowly in the 6th game (to my 5th round opponent's brother) finishing 4-2 and missing the cut.