Sign in to follow this  
EbonHawk

New wave

19 minutes ago, Gottmituns205 said:

I haven't played Armada in a month or so....just board with it all.

I'm always amazed when I hear this. Maybe I just don't get enough games in, but I still feel like I have so many things to play. I could make lists for hours to try new combinations, and upgrades I use less, or things I maybe haven't played at all. To each their own though.

This thread is ironically timed as I just reorganized my stuff, getting the Armada ships into easier access. (I've been wanting to play again, soon...)

My collection doesn't include anything beyond Wave 2- yet, I'm mostly happy with it. (As a tie in to an upcoming RPG/X-wing/Armada campaign, I would like to get the two newer squadron packs, mostly for the Decimator, but the other ships will certainly see some use, too.)

I get that FFG needs to put out new product to keep the game alive, but coming from X-wing, I think there's such a thing as card bloat. I'd rather keep MY Armada fairly simply, more about maneuvers and gameplay than what amounts to deck building. 

I love Armada, but I have realized that I can happily enjoy it with my severely outdated fleet, with little drive to add anything more to it. 

TLDR: I am not worried about any new upgrades or expansions. 

1 hour ago, MarekMandalore said:

This thread is ironically timed as I just reorganized my stuff, getting the Armada ships into easier access. (I've been wanting to play again, soon...)

My collection doesn't include anything beyond Wave 2- yet, I'm mostly happy with it. (As a tie in to an upcoming RPG/X-wing/Armada campaign, I would like to get the two newer squadron packs, mostly for the Decimator, but the other ships will certainly see some use, too.)

I get that FFG needs to put out new product to keep the game alive, but coming from X-wing, I think there's such a thing as card bloat. I'd rather keep MY Armada fairly simply, more about maneuvers and gameplay than what amounts to deck building. 

I love Armada, but I have realized that I can happily enjoy it with my severely outdated fleet, with little drive to add anything more to it. 

TLDR: I am not worried about any new upgrades or expansions. 

I recommend you go to Wave 3 and pick up the flotilla packs. Flotillas have changed the meta and actually allowed for large ships to do much better by balancing out activations. So you might be pleasantly surprised what even 1 flotilla per side will allow you to do for fleet construction.

14 hours ago, JJs Juggernaut said:

I'm always amazed when I hear this. Maybe I just don't get enough games in, but I still feel like I have so many things to play. I could make lists for hours to try new combinations, and upgrades I use less, or things I maybe haven't played at all. To each their own though.

I'm with you. I get maybe 2 games in a week, and I'm always wanting to try new things. I've been playing since wave 1 too, so it's not like the games still "new" to me  either. lol

11 hours ago, Gottmituns205 said:

No errata means its gonna be the same story....flotillas....life boats...and sqauadrons, its just kinda meh

Come on man, we're not gonna make it another thread about flotillas right? 

1 minute ago, Gottmituns205 said:

So I should just say the game sucks and be like all the other "Armada is dead" dullards?

I suppose you should always say what you feel.

No point in not being true to yourself, but really, and this isn't with a negative inflection at all (because I'm sympathetic to what you're feeling), there's no point in sabotaging a thread full of people enthusiastic about the new wave with the  same flotilla arguments...

To be sure, your opinions have been heard, and by many, respected, if you wanna talk about that aspect just start another thread, but this is about the new wave m8, let these folks have their fun :D

1 hour ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I'm not sure, but I'm dying to know the Quasar's point cost lol

It's very similar in armament and shields to the CR90, the changes are that the Quasar:
-has 2 more hull
-trades the 2 evades for 1 brace
-has 1 more command value and 3 more squadron
-It will surely trade the defensive retrofit and support team slots for an offensive retrofit and weapons team
-I'm guessing it will have speed of 2 (3 max) against the 4 of the CR90

How much more than 44 points you think that could be?

Just now, Lemmiwinks86 said:

It's very similar in armament and shields to the CR90, the changes are that the Quasar:
-has 2 more hull
-trades the 2 evades for 1 brace
-has 1 more command value and 3 more squadron
-It will surely trade the defensive retrofit and support team slots for an offensive retrofit and weapons team
-I'm guessing it will have speed of 2 (3 max) against the 4 of the CR90

How much more than 44 points you think that could be?

I used the calculator a couple of guys gave from from the thread

to estimate it out.... I've come to 49 points in my calculations....

If that's the case.... I'm stoked beyond measure. I've been using a raider at 48 points as a place holder and trying to build fleets with sloane... some of them look really good on paper! lol

Here's what I've got planned

Banzaii 
Author: Darth Sanguis

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Sloane

Assault Objective: Station Assault
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

[ flagship ] Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 points)
-  Admiral Sloane  ( 24  points) 
 Avenger  ( 5  points) 
-  Captain Needa  ( 2  points) 
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points) 
-  Rapid Launch Bays  ( 6  points) 
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points) 
-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points) 
-  SW 7 Ion Batteries  ( 5  points) 
= 183 total ship cost

Quasar Fire Class-I Cruiser-Carrier (49 points)
-  Rapid Launch Bays  ( 6  points) 
= 55 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
-  Jamming Field  ( 2  points) 
= 25 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
-  Comms Net  ( 2  points) 
= 25 total ship cost

1 Colonel Jendon ( 20 points) 
1 Major Rhymer ( 16 points) 
3 TIE Fighter Squadrons ( 24 points) 
4 JumpMaster 5000s ( 48 points) 

40 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I used the calculator a couple of guys gave from from the thread

to estimate it out.... I've come to 49 points in my calculations....

If that's the case.... I'm stoked beyond measure. I've been using a raider at 48 points as a place holder and trying to build fleets with sloane... some of them look really good on paper! lol

Yes, I came to the conclusion that it should cost between 50 and 55 at most, so those 49 you calculated sounds like it. It seems cheap for a medium size ship, but given what we saw about it, I don't think that it can cost more than that (unless I'm missing something)

9 minutes ago, ianediger said:

Just to be safe, I've been mocking it as 95 in my theory builds. Just to be safe.

Holy crap... it better not be.... I'd be buying that model to put up on a shelf... 

Not gonna lie, if it's more than 65, I  may skip entirely.... Carrier-Cruisers are nice but 3 23 point Gozantis can match it in durability and firepower.... With more squadron command between them...  

I really hope not... just like the Interdictor, I really wanna like this model... it's freaking cool looking.

I think the Quasar will come in the low 70's while the Hammerheads will be around 50, maybe a bit under.  My reasoning is base size.  Small ships seem to be 70 and under, medium 70 to 95, and large 95 and up.  

I really want to see how the Hammerhead Task Force cards work, and what might be hiding in the hidden cards in terms of titles.  I'm hoping for two more title cards and an additional task force card.  I usually buy one ship per title card, so if I get my wish I would end up purchasing three sets.  That would be a sweet fleet to run with a GR-75 and some squadrons.  :)