n5vei

Touching or not touching

This question is in reference to a situation that happened at a store tournament and then again on another date with different opinions and outcomes.

When we were in a match my ship base was right up against an asteroid, but NOT overlapping.  My opponent said it touches so you gotta roll.  I said it is not overlapping so I don't.  We argued for a short time till I just said forget it... whatever.

A week or two later it happened again but this experienced player said that if it is not overlapping then it is not touching so rolling damage.

Can I get some clarification on this?

Bill

I'm pretty sure InquisitorM is correct.  FFG deciding to use "Touching" to define what happens when a ship overlaps on a maneuver is a bit of an unfortunate choice of words and leads to confusion like this a LOT.  "Touching" is something that only occurs when a ship is attempting to complete a maneuver and is unable to due to another ship.  At which point you back up the ship until it is touching (in the conventional English definition of the word) and place it and then the ships are considered "Touching".   If you move a ship and are able to place it flat on the table but it is touching another ship, you didn't overlap and are not "Touching".  Asteroids and debris only specify effects that happen when you overlap.  "Touching" has no meaning with obstacles so obviously touching wouldn't.  If you didn't overlap then nothing happens.

As @sharrrp pointed out, the key thing is: if you can place your ship's base flat on the table, even if it's in physical contact with the edge/side of an obstacle or ship token, then no overlap occurs and no "touching" state occurs.

If you can't place it flat because there's a ship base or obstacle token underneath and stopping it from going flat, then you've overlapped it.

It's a pretty binary condition: you're either on it, or you're not.