voltagejim

questions and advice on various things

Ok so kind of a mix bag of questions and things I need advice on.

First is what kind of binders or holders would you use for pilot cards and upgrade cards?  I went to Walmart the other night to get a 80 cent binder and baseball card sleeves (the clear plastic ones) but the baseball card sleeves looked like the pouches were way to big for pilot cards.  Are baseball cards bigger than pilot cards?

Next I had a question on rules.  Me and my friends are slowly learning the mechanics and last night played a game with asteroids.  Now I landed on an asteroid and did the required penalty for that, but next turn to get off the asteroid, any movement I did would have the movement marker go through the rest of the asteroid (part of the base of my ship was resting on the asteroid) and my friend said I had to do another penalty since we could not find any rules on what to do in that scenario.  So just wondering what protocol is on that.

Do you cancel crit damage dice before regular?  I thought I read in the rules that you cancel crit before regular, but last night they said its regular before crit.

I have never beaten my friend, who always has a t-70 x-wing with R2-D2 plus usually something else:  either millenium falcon, or in last nights case, the Ghost.  I tried to run with First Order TIE with Epsilon Leader, Lambda Shuttle with Colonel Jendon,  with Moff Jerrojod, Weapons engineer, and sensor jammer as upgrade, and Decimator with Rear Admiral Chiraneau with Darth Vader, Rebel Captive, and marksmanship.

I was pretty well taken out.  Best i could do was get his ghost down to 2 hull left before I lost the decimator, which was my last ship on the mat.  I used Darth Vader about 3-4 times to make him draw crit cards but he kept getting lame ones that didn't really hurt him that much.  Took his x-wing shields down once but with R2 he got them right back.  Lambda shuttle didn't do too much.  I flew him off on the side on his own.  Just not sure what I can do that I can beat him with.  I thought for sure when I bought Decimator that it would have so much hull and shields I could outlast him in a war of attrition, but then he brought out Ghost which was the same.  Thinking about buying the assault carrior or the raider and trying to beat him with those

Ultra Pro makes sheets for both standard and small card sizes.

Hits are almost always cancelled before crits. It's in the rules and FAQ. The timing chart in the FAQ is super helpful in combat. 

If your maneuver template overlaps an asteroid, you suffer the effects. It doesn't matter if you landed on it the round before. 

Winning is a fine combination of list and skill. Your list was junk; it would have taken really good flying to overcome that. Spend some time in the Squad Building subforum and do a search for squads with the ships you have, or start your own thread in that subforum to ask for help, just make sure you include your collection in the initial post so we know what you're working with. Feel free to tag me, I'm always up for a squad building challenge.

Epic ships like the Raider and Gozanti come with entirely new and separate rules. Also, they succumb to concentrated attacks just like anything else.

I use Ultimate Guard Zipfolio 9 pocket binders for the pilot cards and I use their Mini American Zipfolio for up grade cards. When you land on an asteroid and the next turn your movement template still touches the asteroid you do roll for damage again. Might want to try Commander Kenkirk on decimator with Ysanne Isard as one of your crew that will give one you 1 Agi and an Evade token once your shields are gone and have at least one damage.

Asteroids:  You hit them they affect you.  When you start your next turn you can effectively ignore any part of a rock DIRECTLY beneath the ship's base but if your template needs to cross rock to move away then you are affected by it again.  Note there is a difference between contacting an Asteroid (roll damage and skip Perform Action step) and sitting on an asteroid (no attacks!) and while sitting on a rock almost certainly means hitting it first you could clip a rock and still be able to attack.

Normal "hits" are cancelled first by defense dice and applied first as damage so they remove Shield tokens before "critical" results would remove Shield tokens.  There are a few exceptions to this but those are specifically mentioned and generally happen because the "hit" results could not be cancelled by defense dice.

When you are using Vader-crew do you remember that Vader DOES NOT automatically cause the target to draw cards?  The damage Vader causes is just like normal damage in that if the target has an Shield tokens you MUST remove them first before Vader could start causing damage cards to be dealt to the target. 

2 hours ago, voltagejim said:

who always has a t-70 x-wing with R2-D2 plus usually something else:  either millenium falcon, or in last nights case, the Ghost.

If he always takes a similar list that's a big weakness you can exploit.  

Working with the ships you took.  The Heavy Laser Cannon can be good on a Lambda with Engine Upgrade, Advanced Sensors and Rebel Captive.  If you want to take Vader crew take him on a bare Lambda.  I don't have as much experience with the Deci but Expose has been good for me combined with Experimental Interface.  If you're going to take an FO the classic Omega Leader, Juke and Comm Relay is always good and especially good when few ships are on the board.

Thinking of other ships.  Proton Rockets with Guidance Chips could be good against his list.  They should get past the T-70 shields before regen and would also be good against the Ghost and Falcon.  I'd suggest having them on a TIE Advanced (with Accuracy Corrector on a generic).

thanks for the replies!  Sucks about the asteroid thing.  So landing on one will always mean taking 2 penalties, since I cannot see any way to get off an asteroid without moving through it again

Also another question I had:  For secondary weapons like homing missiles, proton torpedoes, etc, do those do regular damage PLUS the special thing they say on the card?  Like if I roll 3 hits with one, does it do 3 damage PLUS whatever that card says?

Also for those sheets and binders, are those sold at places like Target or walmart?  Or do I need to go to game shops?  There is one binder at the game shop in my area that has sheets for the upgrade cards but it's $15

3 minutes ago, voltagejim said:

landing on one will always mean taking 2 penalties, since I cannot see any way to get off an asteroid without moving through it again

If you're on debris you only suffer debris effects again if your manoeuvre template goes over it.   

3 minutes ago, voltagejim said:

secondary weapons like homing missiles, proton torpedoes, etc, do those do regular damage PLUS the special thing they say on the card?

No - secondary weapons replace your primary weapon attack if you choose to use them.  However some cards do allow you to fire both, one after the other e.g. TIE/D.

1 hour ago, voltagejim said:

thanks for the replies!  Sucks about the asteroid thing.  So landing on one will always mean taking 2 penalties, since I cannot see any way to get off an asteroid without moving through it again

Also another question I had:  For secondary weapons like homing missiles, proton torpedoes, etc, do those do regular damage PLUS the special thing they say on the card?  Like if I roll 3 hits with one, does it do 3 damage PLUS whatever that card says?

You will not always suffer landing on an asteroid twice provided you can move off of it WITHOUT hitting it.  If you get the front of your ship off the edge then when you perform your next maneuver THAT maneuver should be clear of the asteroid you are currently sitting on.  If the side of your ship is not on the asteroid and you have some way to roll off of it before performing your maneuver (boosting works as well if the front is clear but that is not different than your standard maneuver) you could get clear of the rock before performing your maneuver.  As I mentioned before when you begin your turn the part of the asteroid you are currently sitting on is effectively not there although your template may find the rock somewhere else and your final position still cares where the rock is if you get blocked back to the asteroid.

Secondary Weapons are their own attacks that generally REPLACE your primary weapon attack.  There are a few ways to attack with a primary and secondary weapon but those are the exceptions and should be pretty clear.

4 hours ago, voltagejim said:

Depends on what the weapon says. Usually, a secondary weapon does damage in a form similar to primary rolls.

The only weapons that do NOT deal the damage they roll minus the defender evades all say the following: "if this attack hits, do X". In that case, do what the card says to do.

You may only perform one attack per ship unless a card says otherwise.

Scenario 1 - you have a target lock and proton torpedo. You spend your lock and roll 4 dice for 2 hits, a focus and a blank. The card says "you may change 1 focus into a crit result" so you can change that focus. Your opponent rolls one successful evade result and has no way to reroll. In this case, you will deal one hit and one crit result.

Scenario 2 - you are using an ion cannon and roll 3 hits. Your opponent rolls all blanks. You only deal 1 damage and 1 ion token because the card says "if this attack hits, deal one damage and one ion token". You do NOT give them any dice results only the text.

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

Depends on what the weapon says. Usually, a secondary weapon does damage in a form similar to primary rolls.

The only weapons that do NOT deal the damage they roll minus the defender evades all say the following: "if this attack hits, do X". In that case, do what the card says to do.

Scenario 1 - you have a target lock and proton torpedo. You spend your lock and roll 4 dice for 2 hits, a focus and a blank. The card says "you may change 1 focus into a crit result" so you can change that focus. Your opponent rolls one successful evade result and has no way to reroll. In this case, you will deal one hit and one crit result.

Scenario 2 - you are using an ion cannon and roll 3 hits. Your opponent rolls all blanks. You only deal 1 damage and 1 ion token because the card says "if this attack hits, deal one damage and one ion token". You do NOT give them any dice results only the text.

This is mostly right, but there is a serious error. @ScummyRebel , don't use quotations for a card ability unless you're going to quote it correctly. The correct wording for Ion Cannon uses the word suffer instead of deal. The difference is important because card abilities that "deal" damage ignore shields. 

6 minutes ago, jmswood said:

This is mostly right, but there is a serious error. @ScummyRebel , don't use quotations for a card ability unless you're going to quote it correctly. The correct wording for Ion Cannon uses the word suffer instead of deal. The difference is important because card abilities that "deal" damage ignore shields. 

Sorry, did not have the card directly in front of me to consult, and I was unaware that "deal" was the key word versus the wording of a "damage card" versus "damage".

My mistake.

3 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Sorry, did not have the card directly in front of me to consult, and I was unaware that "deal" was the key word versus the wording of a "damage card" versus "damage".

My mistake.

I don't know of any card abilities that say "deal damage." They usually say "suffer" or "deal ___ damage card." These card abilities are different from the "Deal Damage" step of an attack. The name of this step is probably the reason the distinction between "deal" and "suffer" gets murky. The Rules Reference talks about ships suffering damage from the attack, and then the timing chart in the FAQ doesn't use the word "suffer" at all. The differences are more clearly explained under "Damage" on page 9 of the Rules Reference.

It's a game of technicalities. 

4 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Not entirely. 
Ion Cannons and cards you're thinking of say "If this attack hits, do x. Then cancel all dice results"
The cancel all dice results is key. Plasma Torpedoes for instance, remove a shield if it hits (admittedly after dealing damage however) while keeping the dice results.

ok, so plasma torpedoes was one I was wondering about.  I was confused that it says to remove 1 shield, cause that would mean if you roll 3 hits you still only get to remove 1 shield from the opponent which makes the weapon seem worthless since you could do that with just primary attack.

Also I had no idea that if a card says "deal" that you can attack the hull directly ignoring all shields.  I'll have to let my friends know next time we play

3 hours ago, voltagejim said:

Also I had no idea that if a card says "deal" that you can attack the hull directly ignoring all shields.  I'll have to let my friends know next time we play

If a card say "deal" it will tell you which type of card to deal: face up or face down.  If it isn't telling you want kind of card to deal then you're just using standard damage methods.