TylerTT

LCG model and clan loyalty

There will definitely still be room for Clan loyalty. 

In AGOT, I am a loyal Tyrell player. I played them right from Core Set, even when their card-pool was... less than best. There is also Joe-from-Cincinnati who is famously a Night's Watch player.

1 hour ago, Kakita Onimaru said:

If Crane weren't in the game I wouldn't even be here.

I feel so sorry for Mantis and Spider Players

So then you don't like l5r as much as crane. That's fine. I just suspect there are more people who like the setting, story, and themes as a whole more than one aspect. 

28 minutes ago, Doji Makoto said:

Same here. Crane is love, Crane is life.

I'm here for similar reason, where the crane are the scorpion must keep them humble.

5 hours ago, TylerTT said:

So I'm wondering how the LCG business model where folks buy every card in the game is going to jive with a game where players have strong clan loyalties? 

Are there nutral faction cards. Decks that mix factions? 

There might be a way for mixing factions (alliances?), similiar to banners in AGOT or influence in Netrunner.

Buying cards you might not ever use is just the way LCGs work.

Loyal Scorpion heeding the call... :P

While gaining advantage through dishonoring will be the main focus of the Scorpion out of the Core Box, I am wondering if we will ever see the Kensai... :D

29 minutes ago, C3gorach said:

Loyal Scorpion heeding the call... :P

While gaining advantage through dishonoring will be the main focus of the Scorpion out of the Core Box, I am wondering if we will ever see the Kensai... :D

I'd be somewhat surprised if the Bitter Lies didn't get a cameo in the Core Set itself, TBQH.

4 hours ago, Kakita Onimaru said:

If Crane weren't in the game I wouldn't even be here.

I feel so sorry for Mantis and Spider Players

I love Mantis, but I'm genuinely fond of all the seven original clans. While it'll probably take a while to see myself as anything but a "Mantis player", I think I'll have fun regardless. And maybe I'll develop a new clan to identify with.

That means my clan alignment is up for grabs. If anyone wants to... persuade me.

Wink, wink.

3 minutes ago, Smobey said:

I love Mantis, but I'm genuinely fond of all the seven original clans. While it'll probably take a while to see myself as anything but a "Mantis player", I think I'll have fun regardless. And maybe I'll develop a new clan to identify with.

That means my clan alignment is up for grabs. If anyone wants to... persuade me.

Wink, wink.

Going by bloodlines:

Mantis -- Crab or Lion

Fox -- Unicorn

No idea about Wasp and Centipede, sorry.

8 hours ago, BayushiCroy said:

I have definitely thought about Scorpion getting greedy with honor. But I am shifting my thoughts from "low honor" to "less honor" I really do expect to be playing in the mid range often, just lightly less than them. I have realized how interesting it is though, that in the mid game you want to be less than them so that they drop and we can play our dirty actions. But at some point you have to commit to the honor swap and allow them to drop under you. Once they are teetering and you are just above them in th 1-7 range, I expect, you just bid low to starve them out.

I love this.

In the Old L5R (at least Ivory/20F), a lot of the strategy was in the deck building.  There were some important tactical decisions to make during the game too, of course, but it seemed like for a lot of my games I could point to one particular decision that had won or lost the game for me.  Also, luck was very much a factor, as you could easily be ruined by your opponent having a good start to his economy while you turned up four personalities (and then four more after cycling).

In this New L5R, based on what we've seen so far, it seems as if almost everything you do will have to be a conscious decision that could potentially impact the game.  Even drawing cards is no longer merely a mechanical, automatic action, but is instead a trade-off where you have to consider what your opponent may want to do!  There's still a random aspect, of course, and deck-building will still be important, but the increase in decisions should be very interesting and, I hope, quite fun!

7 hours ago, Bayushi Tsubaki said:

I heard there weren't enough Scorpion mons in the Clan Loyalty thread, so I came to play. :P

A Mantis is basically a six-legged Scorpion without a stinger, right?

2 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Wasp - Lion or Scorpion, I think, but dislike them both

Centipede - Phoenix

Being mostly a Wasp player, Scorpion may be a good fit for me.  However, I expect to play most of the clans at some point or another in casual play.  Who knows?  I may even try Unicorn once or twice!

The Clan descriptions section mentions some loose alliances between many of the clans. So I'm wondering if we are going to have a model kind of like WG40k conquest where you can select from your clan and x # of cards from ally clans, etc 

I guess I was never truly loyal to just one clan. 

LCG model fits perfectly for me as...
Guess I searched to taint every one of them!

Scorp/Crane/Dragon shall be my priorities then.

Hope everyone who is totally loyal with one faction will find more options with rapidly deployed dynasty packs.

12 minutes ago, Arkhonai said:

I guess I was never truly loyal to just one clan. 

LCG model fits perfectly for me as...
Guess I searched to taint every one of them!

Scorp/Crane/Dragon shall be my priorities then.

Hope everyone who is totally loyal with one faction will find more options with rapidly deployed dynasty packs.

I never had any clan loyalty, either.  The idea of clan loyalty was a big turn-off for me in the CCG, because established players insisted I pick a Clan before they would even explain to me what the Clans were all about.  For that reason I mostly stuck to drafting, where my willingness to go for any Clan helped me out tremendously.

10 hours ago, profparm said:

We will soon have an article to confirm, but here's my speculation:

Pick stronghold, note clan and influence.

Build a dynasty deck of only clan and neutral cards.

Pick 5 provinces, one associated with each ring, restricted to clan and neutral.  (The provinces have one of the rings in the corner.)

Build a conflict deck with up to influence worth of non-faction cards (the bamboo in bot right of all conflict cards), rest is clan and neutral.

probably pretty close, if not right on. L5R even has the perfect system to deliver neutral characters - Ronin. 

Not sure if you'll be forced to have a province for each ring though. 

4 hours ago, Smobey said:

Wink, wink.

what was it about Mantis that attracted you?

24 minutes ago, GooeyChewie said:

I never had any clan loyalty, either.  The idea of clan loyalty was a big turn-off for me in the CCG, because established players insisted I pick a Clan before they would even explain to me what the Clans were all about.  For that reason I mostly stuck to drafting, where my willingness to go for any Clan helped me out tremendously.

Sorry you had that experience.  I'm not really sure how anyone would expect you to pick a Clan without knowing anything about them.

5 hours ago, cheapmate said:

There might be a way for mixing factions (alliances?), similiar to banners in AGOT or influence in Netrunner.

There appears to be an influence mechanic that is virtually identical to Netrunner's. The Strongholds have an influence value (10 on the two we've seen so far), and some of the Conflict cards do (influence does not let you get Dynasty cards). The influence values we've seen on the conflict cards so far are 1-3 (for the ones that can be taken out of clan), so potentially up to 10 out-of-clan cards, although probably more like 5.