Jump to content
Green Knight

Two-faction Quasar

Recommended Posts

Maybe this has been asked before...but here goes: is it conceivable that the face-down upgrade card (the only one between the 2 expansions in wave 6) could actually ba a Title that lets the Quasar join the Rebel side?

It would be unprecedented, but FFG likes to add new Stuff with every wave, so that's not a disqualification (also: Sabine's TIE from X-wing). Also, the Quasar is actually used by both sides ON SCREEN, which is different AFAIK from other ships. So if ever there was to be a dual-faction ship, this would be it, no?

 

swm26_spread.png

Edited by Green Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess its possible, but it would mean the different faction versions would have different armaments if the cardboard insert is correct. I could swear it shows a red AS die which would make the Quasar a new beast in its own right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hastatior said:

I guess its possible, but it would mean the different faction versions would have different armaments if the cardboard insert is correct. I could swear it shows a red AS die which would make the Quasar a new beast in its own right.

It would not affect the Ship Cards/Tokens, just the affiliation.

Edited by Green Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hastatior said:

I guess its possible, but it would mean the different faction versions would have different armaments if the cardboard insert is correct. I could swear it shows a red AS die which would make the Quasar a new beast in its own right.

He pointed to the facedown title upgrade, not the facedown ship card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a dispute (of sorts) that basically hinges the entire argument.

 - Wether or not building a list is procedural, or "ends justify means".

 

The Rulebook does not rule - specifically - either way.  Only through ommission of any specific statement can one make an interpretation.

Advice given to me by Michael Gernes has (so far) solidified my arguments in the procedural camp, which is what I have stated.

 

...  But there are some people who are vehemently against that.  FourDogsInAHorseSuit is one of the 'kinder' ones on the  subject, but its something I've been messaged over.

 

Hence, why I said, not popular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Maybe this has been asked before...but here goes: is it conceivable that the face-down upgrade card (the only one between the 2 expansions in wave 6) could actually ba a Title that lets the Quasar join the Rebel side?

It would be unprecedented, but FFG likes to add new Stuff with every wave, so that's not a disqualification (also: Sabine's TIE from X-wing). Also, the Quasar is actually used by both sides ON SCREEN, which is different AFAIK from other ships. So if ever there was to be a dual-faction ship, this would be it, no?

 

swm26_spread.png

It could be but, just for arguing, what goes before building a fleet? the ship or the title? As long as the ship card has the inperial icon, rebels couldn't add the ship to give it the title. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ovinomanc3r said:

It could be but, just for arguing, what goes before building a fleet? the ship or the title? As long as the ship card has the inperial icon, rebels couldn't add the ship to give it the title. :D

Which is what I state above as "Procedural"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just...  Sorry...  Adverse to re-opening the argument somewhat.  

 

The question needs to be answered.  Until it is answered, there's no way of knowing.

 

 

...  Imperial Assault's expansions are SHippig Now, Due on the 11th of May.

They were on the boat One Month ahead of us.

That means our Release date (assuming same shipping time), will be the 8th of June.

 

So we don't have too much longer to wait in the worst of circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Green Knight said:

There is nothing in the rules AFAIK that says you have to take a Ship card, then cannot allow it to be modified by an upgrade card. 

Because that would like...destroy the game?

You can't take a Ship Card if its affilation is different to yours.

 - The question is, "Is that when I take it, or is that at the end of the list build?"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's been retrospective rule changes/ additions in other boxes (a whole new defence token in Contain with rules on the ship packaging insert, the Interdictor and Pelta adding a whole new world, Flotillas) so having a little note in the Quasar box saying "Rebs can take it" isn't such a big leap.

 

PS Not saying i'm agreeing with this point of view, just assessing the probability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GammonLord said:

There's been retrospective rule changes/ additions in other boxes (a whole new defence token in Contain with rules on the ship packaging insert, the Interdictor and Pelta adding a whole new world, Flotillas) so having a little note in the Quasar box saying "Rebs can take it" isn't such a big leap.

 

PS Not saying i'm agreeing with this point of view, just assessing the probability. 

The possibility exists, but we also need to take into account that all of those rules inserts have been additions to rules, not changes or removals of rules...  Different Kettle, Different Fish. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Each player builds a fleet by choosing ships, squadrons, 
and upgrade cards
whose total fleet point cost does not exceed the total agreed upon by the players. The fleet point cost of each ship, squadron, and upgrade is printed in the 
lower-right corner of the card."

"A fleet must be either Rebel-aligned or Imperial-aligned. It cannot contain any ships, squadrons, or upgrades that are aligned with the opposing faction."

"When building a fleet, upgrade cards can be equipped to ships by adding their fleet point costs to the total fleet point cost. For each upgrade icon in a ship’s upgrade bar, it may equip one upgrade card with the matching upgrade icon"

Just adding what I find that could matter. 

Edited by ovinomanc3r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ovinomanc3r said:

"Each player builds a fleet by choosing ships, squadrons, 
and upgrade cards
whose total fleet point cost does not 
exceed the total agreed upon by the players. The fleet point 
cost of each ship, squadron, and upgrade is printed in the 
lower-right corner of the card."

"A fleet must be either Rebel-aligned or Imperial-aligned. 
It cannot contain any ships, squadrons, or upgrades that 
are aligned with the opposing faction
."

"When building a fleet, upgrade cards can be equipped to ships by adding their fleet point costs to the total fleet point cost. For each upgrade icon in a ship’s upgrade bar, it may equip one upgrade card with the matching upgrade icon"

Just adding what I find that could matter. 

 

Mmmhmm, again, why I choose to have the procedural viewpoint of my own (+ advice).

The counter argument is "When do you check?  If you only check at the end with a finished list, you can have a card that says "The equipped ships affilation is Rebel, and you can take it, because the cannot is in the rules, not on an upgrade card, so the upgrade card can overwrite the rules."

Edited by Drasnighta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

The possibility exists, but we also need to take into account that all of those rules inserts have been additions to rules, not changes or removals of rules...  Different Kettle, Different Fish. :D

Ah, but such changes and removals have been with us from the start - Demolisher, Tycho etc... but ya, since the initial release I agree. 

I think we just need a lil' article around about now to iron this out, hint hint FFG.... :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Drasnighta said:

 

Mmmhmm, again, why I choose to have the procedural viewpoint of my own (+ advice).

The counter argument is "When do you check?  If you only check at the end with a finished list, you can have a card that says "The equipped ships affilation is Rebel, and you can take it."

I didn't try to make a point. Just quoting the rules. I understood what you said since the beginning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed this one:

"A Rebel ship cannot equip an Imperial upgrade card, and an Imperial ship cannot equip a Rebel upgrade card. A card’s faction affiliation, if any, is indicated by the faction’s symbol to the left of the fleet point cost."

Edited by ovinomanc3r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do i want the Quasar-Fire to be playable as rebel player via special card, rule or upgrade?  You're darn right!

Do i think it would help to pave the way for other dual-faction ships that could be added, like the Dreadnought-Class, Nebulon B-2 and CR-92A?  Yeppers.

Still, it all comes down to FFG.  Either they do or they don't.

And Dras, you are doing an important duty with rules interpretation, so don't EVER stop.  You make it possible for us '**** the rules full speed ahead" types to really understand all aspects of the game.  I'm sorry you've taken heat over things in the past.  We don't always see perfectly eye to eye in here but so what?  We're both star wars geeks who love Armada and all that is star wars.  THAT'S the important thing.  I got your back, man :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...