Sign in to follow this  
gennataos

Anyone want to theory-craft Snap with me?

I feel like there's untapped potential with Snap.  This build gives him crazy action efficiency, even when stressed...

"Snap" Wexley (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
BB-8 (2)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Autothrusters (2)
Black One (1)

Total: 35

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

He's virtually impervious to TLs, and I think he can be used as a frustrating TL-stripping support ship if done right.  Who can we fly him with?

I've run that Snap before with Jess and Poe and it's really good, the barrel roll/boost combo is great. The one downside is that 2-straight and 3-straight are the only manoeuvres that triggers both BB8 and his ability - arguably it might take you too far to shift a TL off of yourself and a wingman. 

My current favourite is balls to the wall Snap:

Snap Wexley

VI

Targeting Astro

Integrated Astro

Pattern Analyzer

Black One

34 pts

TL, boost and focus out of a red move is really fun and takes people unawares.

I'd probably run something like this:

T-70 X-Wing: · "Snap" Wexley (28)
     Veteran Instincts (1)
     · BB-8 (2)
     Autothrusters (2)
     · Black One (1)
     Primed Thrusters (1)
A-Wing: · Tycho Celchu (26)
     Push The Limit (3)
     Chardaan Refit (-2)
     · Experimental Interface (3)
     A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
     Rage (1)
Y-Wing: · Horton Salm (25)
     Twin Laser Turret (6)
     · R3-A2 (2)
     BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)
-- TOTAL ------- 99p. --

A rampaging Tycho with a stresshog that does damage. Have Tycho and Snap chase opponents down, while Horton plinks from a distance.

(36) Snap w/ VI + Pattern Analyzer + R5 P9 + AT + Black One

My favorite snap, and if I need a point, can go primed thrusters. So fast he can take some damage then fly away and regen then come back in the fight.

You know how I feel about Jess and Swarm leader. This list is all about going full throttle and boosting to hit the enemy with a full barrage before they get into positon:

"Snap" Wexley (28)
Intensity (2)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Jess Pava (25)
R2-D6 (1)
Swarm Leader (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Green Squadron Pilot (19)
Intensity (2) (or Snap Shot, according to taste)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Juke (2)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Sabine Wren (TIE Fighter) (15)
Intensity (2)

Total: 100

1 hour ago, gennataos said:

Necro-d!

This Snap could, while Intensity is available, reposition twice and token stack an evade and focus.  The question is whether or not that matters at PS6?

"Snap" Wexley (28)
Intensity (2)
BB-8 (2)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 35

What about Targeting AM and Vectored thrusters?

3 t-roll free lock, free boost, barrel roll, get focus, dodge arc?? Profit???? (Get auto damage from bomblet? Cry?????)

18 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

What about Targeting AM and Vectored thrusters?

3 t-roll free lock, free boost, barrel roll, get focus, dodge arc?? Profit???? (Get auto damage from bomblet? Cry?????)

I picture Snap as a flanker, which means he'd really want AT over VT.  I did think about the Targeting AM, though.  Ultimately, it's a question of whether or not a mid-PS flanker is all that useful.  More likely than not, I'd see him playing a role similar to PoeTensity, where he becomes a target, then runs for his life.

50 minutes ago, Deadfool said:

I'm trying the BB8 intensity version tonight with PS10 Nym and Captain Roark

I was thinking about PS10 Nym and Biggs, but dear lord does that sound kinda boring.  

Mike R's 99-point T-70 list: 

Snap Wexley
Integrated Astromech (0)
Push the Limit (3) 
R2 Astromech (1) 
Pattern Analyzer (2) 

Nien Numb
Integrated Astromech (0) 
Black One (1) 
Stay on Target (2) 
BB-8 (2)
Pattern Analyzer (2)

Jess Pava 
Integrated Astromech (0)
M9-G8 (3) 
Primed Thrusters (1)

26 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Ultimately, it's a question of whether or not a mid-PS flanker is all that useful.

Pure Sabacc is, though he is also cheaper, faster/nimbler, stronger and more fragile

I tried several Snap builds and Intensity is the way to go IMO. The problem then becomes what to fly with him to make him work.

16 hours ago, gennataos said:

I picture Snap as a flanker, which means he'd really want AT over VT.  I did think about the Targeting AM, though.  Ultimately, it's a question of whether or not a mid-PS flanker is all that useful.  More likely than not, I'd see him playing a role similar to PoeTensity, where he becomes a target, then runs for his life.

I was thinking about PS10 Nym and Biggs, but dear lord does that sound kinda boring.  

Yeah, that's why I didn't go with Biggs

18 hours ago, gennataos said:

Necro-d!

This Snap could, while Intensity is available, reposition twice and token stack an evade and focus.  The question is whether or not that matters at PS6?

Yes. Extreme manouvrability is much nicer paired with high PS, but it's still good even when it's not.

Possibly a step too far down a pure manouvrability route:

Snap Wexley, Daredevil, R2 Astromech, Pattern Analyser, Autothrusters

Speed 2 Turn,Speed 1 Turn, clear stress, Boost. Just about the fastest moving thing on the table - certainly the fastest that can still shoot and isn't stressed at the end of the turn.

Yes. But with pattern analyser, you're moving your perform action step to be 'nested' inside the maneuver (just before 'check pilot stress', hence why you can destress yourself immediately with a green move), so I think it comes before an "after you perform a maneuver" trigger rather than after.

Ah ok.

I disagree with that understanding of pattern analyzer, to me the maneuver is still completed and 'check pilot stress' is cut and pasted, so to speak, but not stretching the maneuver to after the action.

Edit: but I don't think we should have that discussion here (or at all, really. All that can be said has been said, at that point we need the FAQ)

Edited by GreenDragoon

4 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Yes. Extreme manouvrability is much nicer paired with high PS, but it's still good even when it's not.

Possibly a step too far down a pure manouvrability route:

Snap Wexley, Daredevil, R2 Astromech, Pattern Analyser, Autothrusters

Speed 2 Turn,Speed 1 Turn, clear stress, Boost. Just about the fastest moving thing on the table - certainly the fastest that can still shoot and isn't stressed at the end of the turn.

I see what you're trying to do there, its definitely interesting.  I think I'd want the token stack from Intensity over that, though.

7 minutes ago, gennataos said:

I see what you're trying to do there, its definitely interesting.  I think I'd want the token stack from Intensity over that, though.

I made a Nien once, with Rage and Experimental Interface. Worked like a charm, until you realize that you spend 4 points for a boost+focus+TL in range 1 only - something many cheaper ships get to do much easier.
In the end, more dice win, and better modifications win. And my build was fun and not weak, but clearly not good.

The same happens when I make a Snap build; it's fun, he's fast, I get focus+evade, or TL+focus, but in the end all these points do something that top tier ships get anyways. So if anyone has the Snap build, I'm very interested.
The super expensive 39pt build with Intensity, R2D2, Comm Relay and Autothrusters is just a worse Poe because Snap wants to spend that focus.
The leaner version with BB8 and primed thrusters for 35pt is also fun, but has the same problem: he still flies mostly slow 1s or uses BB8 and gets tokens only to be unable to spend them.

Maybe the solution is with Sensor Cluster? Take double focus every turn, at worst you'll spend both, but you have pretty good information when you get there.
For the Astromechs: BB8 and R2D2 are obvious choices. I don't like R5P9 on him because he (as mentioned twice already) needs to spend the tokens. R2 astromech is not that useful if you take primed thrusters, but another possible choice.

So a super slim Snap could be Snap with Intensity, R2 and Integrated Astromech for just 31pt? With the option for Autothrusters (+2) or Comm Relay (+3) because he'll die too fast.

1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

The same happens when I make a Snap build; it's fun, he's fast, I get focus+evade, or TL+focus, but in the end all these points do something that top tier ships get anyways. So if anyone has the Snap build, I'm very interested.

Right, and from a competitive perspective, I don't know if that exists.  For around the same points as a BB-8/PT/Intensity Snap, I can kit out a similar Intensity Jake which is probably an objectively better ship...and that's probably not very competitive, either.  

I do think there's value in putting builds like this on the table, though, and seeing what they can do.  A Focus/Evade-stacked mid-PS T-70 isn't something to dismiss out of hand.  

16 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Right, and from a competitive perspective, I don't know if that exists.  For around the same points as a BB-8/PT/Intensity Snap, I can kit out a similar Intensity Jake which is probably an objectively better ship...and that's probably not very competitive, either.  

I do think there's value in putting builds like this on the table, though, and seeing what they can do.  A Focus/Evade-stacked mid-PS T-70 isn't something to dismiss out of hand.  

You can even get 2 and a slightly worse third.

"Snap" Wexley (28)
Intensity (2)
R2 Astromech (1)
Comm Relay (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

"Red Ace" (29)
R5-P9 (3)
Comm Relay (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

"Blue Ace" (27)
R2-D6 (1)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Intensity (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

I wonder how bad that really is - both snap and red ace are suddenly quite durable, all three with 8+ effective HP or even more.

Edit: or instead of Blue Ace, use Red Veteran, to have one more with Focus+Evade:

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Intensity (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

2. Edit: or of course Jess instead because that Red Veteran had no Astromech...

Jess Pava (25)
R2-D6 (1)
Comm Relay (3)
Intensity (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Edited by GreenDragoon

I wasn't going down an all T-70 path, but I do like where you were going with it for a different idea.  I was actually going to mess around with some Auzitucks with Snap as a flanker, buuuuut....this is a brief derailing of my thread...buuuuut....

"Red Ace" (29)
R5-P9 (3)
Comm Relay (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Wullffwarro (30)
Selflessness (1)
Wookiee Commandos (1)

Lowhhrick (28)
Draw Their Fire (1)
Rey (2)
Tactician (2)

I think any theorycrafting of a T70 could/should start with remembering why they are not being played often.

The offense is ok-ish, as long as they get one mod, and clearly ok if they get double mods. Not great but good enough to be played.

The defense is interesting to think about. Jumpmasters for example have 9Hp behind 2 agility, Defenders have 6+Hp behind 3 agility (6+ because of so many evades. So in the end they often take 9 or more effective hits before they are destroyed).
The T70 has 6Hp behind 2 agility. Commrelay + an evade source (Intensity, Red Ace, R3) allows a similar defense to Defenders, but clearly less reliable. But the T70 also has access to regeneration, at least for two ships.

And there is a clear synergy of these evade sources with Snap, namely Intensity. That gives us the EPT, the tech, a 1pt astro and the modification.

"Snap" Wexley (28)
Intensity (2)
R5 Astromech (1)
Comm Relay (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 34

This 3-action, 8+HP, double modified attack T70 should be pretty good, right? Definitely worth 34pt.

In my opinion there are now two problems:
1) How are the other 66pt built? It should be a reliable anvil, or base to which Snap can be the hammer or at least flanker
2) The ships fielded against him are way stronger for the same points. Or in other words, he's too expensive for the perks he brings to the table.

But I have to say I want to try that one at some point, because T70+Intensity+Commrelay makes them into small Defenders that are more versatile and less straight up brawlers.