Shadow345

What happens when Thrawn becomes a commander?

4 minutes ago, Madaghmire said:

Why not just make him zero points with no ability?

I'm really one hundred percent behind this notion. I think its a little bit of a copout but I also think its the best balanced solution we have for him yet.

2 hours ago, Forresto said:

I'm really one hundred percent behind this notion. I think its a little bit of a copout but I also think its the best balanced solution we have for him yet.

People like my idea? Sweet! Now all I gotta do is win Worlds, and then i can design an Admiral for....a Faction.... I don't..... Even...... Play.

Dang it!

Shameless stealthed-astroids plug.

I really want Thrawn to have some for of cool ability. As much as "24 extra points to use on upgrades" is appealing, I feel like I would still be let down by that in such a hyped-up admiral.

As I have shut down a given idea, i will now attempt to be constructive with an idea of my own....

I'd like to explore options for command use on friendly ships. Something that gives you more bang for your buck, and encourages higher command ships.  Tarkin, Garm, and Leia all have abilities that I could have readily accepted on Thrawn, as they speak to the far thinking and complex nature of his plans.  

How about a powerful exhaust effect? Something along the lines of "When a friendly ship activates, before it reveals its command dial, you may exhaust this card to allow that ship to reveal and execute. it's top two command dials" I feel like the exhaust ability could put such in the 20-24 points range.

22 minutes ago, Alzer said:

Shameless stealthed-astroids plug.

I really want Thrawn to have some for of cool ability. As much as "24 extra points to use on upgrades" is appealing, I feel like I would still be let down by that in such a hyped-up admiral.

As I have shut down a given idea, i will now attempt to be constructive with an idea of my own....

I'd like to explore options for command use on friendly ships. Something that gives you more bang for your buck, and encourages higher command ships.  Tarkin, Garm, and Leia all have abilities that I could have readily accepted on Thrawn, as they speak to the far thinking and complex nature of his plans.  

How about a powerful exhaust effect? Something along the lines of "When a friendly ship activates, before it reveals its command dial, you may exhaust this card to allow that ship to reveal and execute. it's top two command dials" I feel like the exhaust ability could put such in the 20-24 points range.

what happens if its the same? Like Nav-Nav could mean like a double nav, sure, ozzel style.  But if you Concentrate-Conc, do you get to add 2 dice? Do you get the Raymus dice and token effect? Same with Engineering and Squadrons.  I dont think you can give it the dial and dial FULL, else you get Thrawn's ISD pushing 8 squadrons or healing 8 engineering points worth of damage.  I'm intrigued by the idea, but it needs a bit more fleshing out i feel.

9 minutes ago, geek19 said:

what happens if its the same? Like Nav-Nav could mean like a double nav, sure, ozzel style.  But if you Concentrate-Conc, do you get to add 2 dice? Do you get the Raymus dice and token effect? Same with Engineering and Squadrons.  I dont think you can give it the dial and dial FULL, else you get Thrawn's ISD pushing 8 squadrons or healing 8 engineering points worth of damage.  I'm intrigued by the idea, but it needs a bit more fleshing out i feel.

Well, there are a few options there.

First one is that you add in the follwoing clause "You cannot execute two dials of the same command."

Alternatively "if two dials with the same command are revealed, one must be discarded for a token"

Finally, and my favorite, is that the two commands stack.  Two extra dice, double engineering, or double squadrons are all very powerful, but I do not feel that, on one ship, once per turn, they would be overwhelmingly strong. Heck, Akbar can give two extra dice to his entire fleet, and Madine allows the entire list to get an extra click. The flexibility to allow one ship a turn to essentially mimic the abilities of another admiral seems like a good fit for Thrawn.

That said, for the final ability especially, you would have to add "this card may only be refreshed during the status phase" so people don't get cute with Interdictor.

I am okay with a commander whose thing is he is cheap, and you don't have to spend any points on him, but that seems to miss the mark for Thrawn.  If there is any Imperial commander who can do more with less that would be Thrawn for me.  I am okay with Thrawn being a mid level or even expensive commander with a really useful ability.

3 hours ago, Alzer said:

I REALLY like the idea, but I think you should allow the Interdictor title refreshing, we may end up having a viable lore list!!

1 minute ago, Madaghmire said:

Yeah my point was why all unnecessary wording. Unless you wanted him to enable a player to bring 167 points of squadrons?

It was just a joke for careful readers.

By the way, good catch with the new squadron limitation. I didn't think on it when I wrote it. :D

On 4/26/2017 at 6:37 AM, HoundsTooth said:

This is exactly what I was thinking. It ties in with his philosophy of learning all about an opponent to better learn how to destroy them. His ability to anticipate his opponents tactics and strategies would totally tie in with a redeployment bonus. Though his strategic brilliance would also sit well fluff wise with an ability that allowed him to manipulate command stacks too.

He should be the Creed of Armada.

I hope Thrawn messes with a fundamenetal and (hopefully) previously untouched mechanic in the game. Maybe deployments, activation, or who knows. 

Here, a crazy idea: 

You get to choose initivaitve, regardless of points totals, and you get to see your opponent's objective choices beforehand. 

So thinking about it, yeah the 8-squadrons (9 with a token) in one activation is super not ok.  That is a reliably dead medium ship nearly every turn from a bomber wing.  So in that instance I would say the "There can only be one" clause would be my go-to, as the idea was to provide the greatest flexibility, not the greatest way to make fighters even more spamable.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:01 AM, Darth Tam said:

I hope Thrawn messes with a fundamenetal and (hopefully) previously untouched mechanic in the game. Maybe deployments, activation, or who knows. 

Here, a crazy idea: 

You get to choose initivaitve, regardless of points totals, and you get to see your opponent's objective choices beforehand. 

This is my favorite so far.

My thought was this:

"In addition to the normally chosen objective, you may always use the 'Hyperspace Assault' objective in a battle.  For the purposes of this objective you are considered the second player, and you may place in reserve one of the following: 1 large ship; 1 medium or small ship with up to three fighters; 2 small ships (which must arrive together).  You may treat an interdictor in your fleet as an objective token for this objective." 30-35-ish points.

The last thing, being able to do 2 small ships, can work if Imps get task forces in the future.  It gives additional flexibility to the objective, mimics one of Thrawn's favorite moves, and can allow a cannon competitive fleet.  Also, if Thrawn dies before the ship comes in, it wouldn't come in, which would make for an interesting desire to gun for him hard turns 2-3, and encourage not "life-boating" him.

Edited by Admiral Theia
Correcting the rule

On 5/1/2017 at 0:01 PM, Darth Tam said:

Here, a crazy idea: 

I'd giggle at every Thrawn vs Thrawn battle.

How about

"After obstacles have been placed, before fleets are deployed you may increase your fleet deployment zone up to range 4, or decrease your opponents' fleet deployment zone to range 2"

I chose the battlefield!  Could get very nasty on objectives.

Been thinking about this... and we've all got it wrong....

the correct answer to the Thread title  is we go back to arguing for/against the super star destroyer and asked where is admiral piett 

:P

Edited by slasher956

"At the star of the ship phase choose one friendly ship. Look its command dials and set them in any order."

"Before a friendly ship reveal a command dial it may discard that command dial."

"The number of command dials that must be assigned to each friendly ship during the Command Phase is increased by 1. Friendly ships reveal two command dials when activate instead of one. Friendly ships can resolve the same command more than once each round."

"Before your opponent deployed anything you may place a 'Thrawn' token anywhere on the play area. Your opponent cannot place or deploy ships or squadrons at distance 1-3 of that token."

"You may resolve the enemy commander's effect as it was equipped on your fleet."

Just stupid thoughts. 

Thrawn - 30 points - each ship in a fleet under Thrawn is allowed one free upgrade. (Or fifty points and each ship is allowed two free upgrades)

Reasoning: Thrawn is known for being able to coordinate large Imperial fleets in a way no Imperial has managed before. He is also known for having highly motivated and well trained crews. This ability promotes the Imperial player to build lists with many activations to make best use of Thrawn and the free upgrade demonstrates the innate skills of his crews. This also makes the player Thrawn rather then you playing with Thrawn as your skill and abilities will determine the course of a battle.

This could be tempered maybe a little bit to keep from being OP, such as not counting towards modifications. Even if you dont choose upgrades that equal Thrawn's thirty point cost the free upgrades will still make Thrawn the cheapest admiral in terms of what you get for how much he costs. For instance if you get 20 points of free upgrades then really Thrawn only cost 10 points.

Edited by Forresto

On 5/1/2017 at 0:11 PM, geek19 said:

He's 6 feet from the edge? Is 6 feet not so far down?

Creed is (was?) a 40k Imperial Guard commander who let you essentially deploy any one unit in a way which was normally impossible.

5 minutes ago, Valca said:

Creed is (was?) a 40k Imperial Guard commander who let you essentially deploy any one unit in a way which was normally impossible.

Oh. I like my answer more, but I'm also Rebel-only, so anything that makes fun of Imperials is good to me!