Sign in to follow this  
CEOWolf

How Fantastical is This?

I love Wuxia films particularly the more unrealistic ones (The Sorceror and The White Snake, Kung Fu Panda Franchise while kid oriented it's technically wuxia, Also there was a movie about two brothers based off a manga and that was all kinds of fantasy attacks) So how fantasy Martial Arts is 5 Rings given this is reviving it I would assume the setting is the same.

It used to depend entirely on the week... and the Clan in focus. Sometimes you're just watching two courtiers have tea. Sometimes you're watching the Phoenix literally fly into the middle of a warzone, separating the fighting forces with minimal loss of life, and then summoning the Elemental Dragon of Fire to watch over the city.

The most wuxia bunch are probably the Togashi monks of the Dragon clan.

5 minutes ago, CEOWolf said:

Ah well the clan of my choice probably be the most realistic out of all of em. (Crane)

not necessarily. the crane had pacifistic shugenja who often faced off against the corrupted forces (the asahina), some of the best duelists (who engaged to dramatic, insane duels) and sometimes carried cursed weapons or trained with Kenku. Every clan gets its time to be magical. its part of the game's charm. 

What makes you think that Crane is more realistic than, say, the Lion or the Unicorn?

(Also, just because I've seen similar statements elsewhere, I'd like to clarify that L5R isn't really being "revived" like Netrunner was. The game was still being actively released when FFG bought it.)

15 minutes ago, CEOWolf said:

Ah well the clan of my choice probably be the most realistic out of all of em. (Crane)

Frankly, none of the clans are terribly realistic though I tend to agree that the Crane (and Lion) are the most realistic.

7 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

The Crab tend to beat demons to death with tetsubos... but we can always hope!

Tetsubos?

And I also like Pheonix Clan they seem rather flamboyant magic users. If there is a political focused clan with a heavy fantasy theme that be cool. But Crane is led by a lady which I can always get into. Girls have the best outfits and action scenes lol

1 minute ago, CEOWolf said:

Tetsubos?

And I also like Pheonix Clan they seem rather flamboyant magic users. If there is a political focused clan with a heavy fantasy theme that be cool. But Crane is led by a lady which I can always get into. Girls have the best outfits and action scenes lol

You could also dig Dragon, those had quite a nice balance between magistrates, courtiers, kensai and monks. A little bit of all.
Hope we will find tatooed ones, kihos, duelist and more there.

20 minutes ago, CEOWolf said:

Also it seems like there are a lot of demons and spirits in this game bet a deluxe expansion will focus on more magical themes.

go back and read those release articles and keep an eye out for how often the shadowlands gets mentioned...

23 minutes ago, cielago said:

go back and read those release articles and keep an eye out for how often the shadowlands gets mentioned...

Man, old L5R.com is down for eternity. 

Just now, kempy said:

Man, old L5R.com is down for eternity. 

i was referring to last week's stuff. they pack in more than a few references to the shadowlands. if he's looking for monsters and magic, he aint gonna be disappointed when the expansion where that comes to fruition hits. 

1 hour ago, CEOWolf said:

I love Wuxia films particularly the more unrealistic ones (The Sorceror and The White Snake, Kung Fu Panda Franchise while kid oriented it's technically wuxia, Also there was a movie about two brothers based off a manga and that was all kinds of fantasy attacks) So how fantasy Martial Arts is 5 Rings given this is reviving it I would assume the setting is the same.

jpeg