Azai

After you go below Wound threshold combat

I'm trying to find it in the book but I am having a hard time. When you drop below your wound threshold you can a critical injury.  But after that what happens?  Do you stay knocked out until someone heals you? Do you reset back to your max wound threshold? And additionally if you are hit by any attack do you automatically suffer a critical injury?

1) Quick clarification: you count UP to your WT. The Threshold is a Threshold, not a "max hp." Doing this will make the mechanics easier to understand. 

2) When you accumulate enough wounds to exceed your threshold (for example, your WT is 12, and you've got 13+ wounds), you are knocked out AND you receive an automatic critical injury. You continue counting wounds up to double your wound threshold. You don't keep counting damage after this. Any attacks against you would be handled narratively, and might cause crits, which could put you in a much more dire state than simply being incapacitated ;)  

3) Damage done to you while you are unconscious/incapacitated doesn't necessarily cause an auto-crit (like that's not what the rules prescribe), but I would say that GMs certainly have latitude to apply a crit when it makes sense.

4) You do indeed stay incapacitated until you receive healing to put your wounds at a number equal to, or below, your WT.

pg 216 Edge of Empire :

"When wounds exceed a Character's wound threshold, the character should track how many wounds he's exceeded the threshold by, to a maximum of twice the wound threshold. He must heal wounds until his wounds are below his wound threshold before he is no longer incapacitated."

Also

"A Critical Injury is often a result of a critical hit from an attack during combat, but characters can also suffer them from exceeding their wound threshold, or through other means".

Thank you both.

Part of this was I was thinking of scenes where someone walked up to a character that was out and shot them in the head, essentially that is death to me.  But I was also confused on how easy it is to kill players.

Character death can happen "accidentally," either through accumulating too many critical injuries or through an (un)lucky roll with a Vicious weapon or some combination thereof. In my opinion, character death should only happen when it's important to the story. The GM and players are crafting a story, and sometimes characters die to advance that story. That's OK, so long as it drives the story forward and doesn't "punish" a player.

The only "accidental" death that can happen mechanically is getting a 141+ on the crit table. And even that might not kill you if the GM allows you a Destiny flip to delay death (which he should, IMO).

As Snuffy rightly says, character death should fit a narrative purpose that is agreed to by both the GM and the player. It should never happen merely due to bad rolls. That's not in the spirit of Star Wars.

Edited by ShadoWarrior

Not sure I agree with that Snuffy.

The sentiment is nice, but I have a slightly different take on it. PC's should die as a result of their choices. If the dice are just against you, I'm fine fudging it to keep the player characters alive, but I wouldn't try to insulate them against their stupid decisions or reckless actions.

EDIT: GM needing to keep in mind what the player's/characters know isn't the same as what he knows about things.

Edited by Spatula Of Doom

If the players are being stupid, they are driving the story. Not fickle dice. Players should never be absolved of the consequences of their actions. The FFG dice system can also drive a story, but it shouldn't be the sole determining factor as to whether a character lives or dies.

But if the dice are running against a player and that player continues to stand and fight when prudence might dictate a retreat, if he gets killed (or merely mangled) is on his head. Unless he's being heroic and standing firm to save others, of course.

Edited by ShadoWarrior