Stay On The Leader

Ship Rankings from Meta-Wing

Well, interestingly Quickdraw is usually the DPS not the tank. With Expertise and FCS he has the most consistent damage output of any competitive Imperial ship. Moreso than Vessery because Vessery relies on tokens. Quickdraw doesn't care if he gets bumped or loses his Focus token for whatever reason. He's always shooting with Expertise + TL. I've been pairing Quickdraw with Vessery lately and I found that Vessery plays the tank role very nicely, but can also double as DPS. His six health behind 3 agility with Focus + Evade makes him a tough nut to crack. I'm always happy when my opponent is shooting Vessery over Quickdraw early game. Mid-game, Quickdraw becomes a lot stronger because the number of attacks he's taking is much smaller. If you try to shoot Quickdraw mid/late-game, you're going to take a beating.

Yep, that's a very valid concern. Upgrade-wise there's nothing Vessery is doing to pull aggro. I've just been flying him very aggrssively. I can give you a choice of two juicy range 1 shots on Vessery or two range 2 shots on QD in the initial joust. You can give up probably the most optimal shot on Vessery you'll get all game to shoot Quickdraw or you can take the shots on Vessery and have QD survive to the end game. People seem to go for the Defender usually, and if they do I win.

Edited by defkhan1

47 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

There's a topic for a blog bubbling away that I've got about 75% of what I want to say, just not quite ready to launch it.  It would be about how the balance in your squad is a communication with your opponent about how to approach beating you.

Quickdraw really brings that to the fore I think because you want to make him what they shoot at, so does that mean Draw Their Fire, A Score to Settle, Expertise?  And does that decision change with whatever else is in your list?  It's almost like trying to keep aggro as a tank in WoW - like with Pure Sabacc he's pulling aggro from your Quickdraw so what do you do to ensure you keep aggro away from your flimsy DPS and make them look at Quickdraw?  

Having run them together plenty, I'm perfectly happy wit my opponent shooting pure sabacc instead of QuickDraw. I'd rather have QuickDraw in the end game between the two. 

Yeah Quickdraw is a monster if he survives to the end. I once had a game where I lost all of my ships except for Quickdraw and my opponent still had all of his left on the board. Quickdraw proceeded to surgically take out all of his ships (x7 Vessery, Backdraft, Tomax) through a combination of range control and double taps. That Vessery was at full health by the way.

3 hours ago, CRCL said:

Yeah I've been finding 4 ships to be the sweet spot at the moment. I threw together a Quickdraw + OL + Sabacc + Academy list for our league night and was surprise at how well it worked. I only lost 1/4 games, and I was confident if the game hadn't gone to time I could have won it (they're only 60 minute rounds). Pure Sabacc is just such a good flanker. You can't let him blast away at you with that double modded 4-dice gun, but he's so cheap that the 'anvil' part of the list is also incredibly painful to ignore.

Yeah, I agree. I have been toying with quite a few lists in this area and Sabacc is really brutal. One strange thing about him (her?) is that he often works better if not given the Lightweight frame. I played some fun and a couple competitive games with this:
Pure Sabacc with Adaptability, Adaptive Ailerons 
Gamma Squadron Veteran with Deadeye, Proton Torpedoes, Extra Munitions, Guidance Chips  x 3

And all games but one, my opponent flew to keep a fix on Sabacc rather then on the torp bombers. There is something about a 4-5 dice 4 hull 2 agility ship that surprisingly many players puts way too much focus on.

1 hour ago, VanderLegion said:

Having run them together plenty, I'm perfectly happy wit my opponent shooting pure sabacc instead of QuickDraw. I'd rather have QuickDraw in the end game between the two. 

Yup.  There's technically some advantage to Quickdraw getting his bonus shots early, but its largely irrelevant.  If he's not drawing fire he's free to be putting out as much damage as he can just by having a solid attack in general.

Sabacc probably wants a tank more, but part of his advantage is just that he's cheap.  Putting points into things to try and keep people from attacking him kind of works against that advantage.

7 minutes ago, LunarSol said:

Yup.  There's technically some advantage to Quickdraw getting his bonus shots early, but its largely irrelevant.  If he's not drawing fire he's free to be putting out as much damage as he can just by having a solid attack in general.

Sabacc probably wants a tank more, but part of his advantage is just that he's cheap.  Putting points into things to try and keep people from attacking him kind of works against that advantage.

I basically run him as an imperial Biggs in my list. A lot of people want to shoot h first to get rid of the 4 die attack. That leaves me with backdraft and QuickDraw throwing fully modified attacks (expertise + fcs after the first shot) instead

8 minutes ago, So Crates said:

Most of the numbers make a modicum of sense.  But what is up with IG-88?  It went from the 3rd best ship to 39th?  What makes it so bad now?

I'm no 88 expert, but I'd wager the Jumps/Mindlink/Protectorate/Shadowcaster (combo you choose) are so d**n great, that there's no reason to select anything else Scum....maybe a Y? But, why poor IG-88, he's just good, not crazy fantastic!

39 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

I'm no 88 expert, but I'd wager the Jumps/Mindlink/Protectorate/Shadowcaster (combo you choose) are so d**n great, that there's no reason to select anything else Scum....maybe a Y? But, why poor IG-88, he's just good, not crazy fantastic!

That's exactly right.  I'm a pretty decent Aggressor player, and they just can't hang with the token-stackers.  It's not bad, it's just not competition reliable.  The Aggressor is the single-biggest and clearest illustration of power-creep in the game, given how crazy-strong it was when released, and how mediocre it is now.

4 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

That's exactly right.  I'm a pretty decent Aggressor player, and they just can't hang with the token-stackers.  It's not bad, it's just not competition reliable.  The Aggressor is the single-biggest and clearest illustration of power-creep in the game, given how crazy-strong it was when released, and how mediocre it is now.

Not just that, but the fact that there's more choices in the Scum faction now compared to then will dilute the amount of IG88s being played. 

Ok, how about this... 

This is Rebel ships broken down by pilot performance.  The percentile stat is what Meta-Wing outputs for how well that ship has performed, and the 'Pilot Impact' column is a measure of how much that pilot's score varies from the average for the ship.  Now as the # of times a pilot was played reduces obviously the reliability of that Percentile figure increases - I've drawn an artificial cut-off and not shown the Pilot Impact for pilots less than 10% of the total for their ship but it's still worth keeping two things in mind when you look at that.

• Pilots who are heavily-played in the ship are obviously contributing more to the Ship Score.  Biggs is 68% of all X-Wings so it's very hard for his Pilot Impact score to be big!
  • Pilots who are rarely played could have a more misleading pilot score.
  • Where a pilot is played quite a lot AND has a strong/weak pilot score it's probably a good indicator that pilot is adding something important

Is this useful?

EC0p1fU.png

Edited by Stay On The Leader

There are more Ahsokas and Captain Rexes than Academy Pilots and Black Squadron Pilots. That's awful and hilarious. 

The Empire really needs some help. They're in a similar position to how we were back when the Jumpmaster first came out. 

Edited by WingedSpider

On 4/26/2017 at 10:18 AM, Stay On The Leader said:

So what's Vessery doing to pull aggro?

And round here QD gets gunned down asap, rarely sees mid game.

First off, ran out of likes on this thread for you.

Second, if only the Imperials had a ship that was really strong in the late game but wanted wingmates to make sure that she reaches that late game while pitching out tons of damage on the ships that can beat her. Oh, hello Omega Leader... What's that you say? You want to fly with Pure Sabacc and Ragin' Cajun Quickdraw? Well, don't let ME stop you... and we still have 21 points left to spend? Golly, Crackshot Zeta Leader just barely fits.

The only problem is that Stressbot 1v1 Omega Leader isn't exactly easy on OL unless one of your other ships survives to give it some damage before dying. It's green dice versus health with no modifications anyway thanks to the Stressbot's unlimited ability to stack on itself - and health tends to win.

I like it. But I don't think it's good enough to crack the meta.

Edited by iamfanboy