CaribbeanNinja

Poll - May 25, 1977 - A New Hope? The Original Release?

On 4/24/2017 at 1:45 PM, Beatty said:

lb1302.jpg

Born in '79.. I got that lunchbox as a hand-me-down from a neighbor.  Used it K-6.  I think it's still in the basement at my parent's house.  I could have sworn the thermos had a red lid though, now I have to try to find it!

You younger folk may not realize what with all the Star Wars fervor and popularity now, but I'm from the age when Star Wars wasn't mainstream and cool.  No one would ever admit that Star Wars was their favorite movie.. at least unless they were more socially secure than 15 year old me was :) 

I really got into Star Wars in middle/high school (91-97).  I may not be a huge prequel fan, but one thing they did was move the Star Wars franchise from "I'm a nerd and watch Star Wars alone in my basement" to "Look at all that awesome Star Wars stuff you have! I'm so jealous!"  I work in a high school now and am constantly amazed at how excited even the cool kids are for new Star Wars movies.  The times they are a-changin'.

I had recorded the trilogy off a TV broadcast and watched the tapes until they wore out.

That wizard's just a crazy old man.

I grew up on my parents' bootlegged-from-TV Beta recordings (with random episodes of Zorro appended). We only had ANH and ESB, so renting Jedi was always a big treat.

Because we had the TV edit, it was a long time before I saw the bloody stump of the Wampa's arm.

Born in '71, the parents were talking about taking me to see it that summer. I remember imagining tanks driving across the surface of the moon fighting each other. I was so clueless of that I was going to be about and a 6 year old kid. The reality of it was of course MUCH better than the imagining I had.

a few years too young to see ANH in the theatre. I think the first time I saw SW was on a video tape with friends, it was Empire. I was particularily intrigued by this space slug, but I did not really make up my mind then about what I just saw. Kind of interested, but TOS so much better :)

Cant remember when the other two followed.

2 hours ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

Currently at 33 Armada Old Guard forum posters!  Pretty sweet.  It would be awesome if we could dig up a few more fossils and hit 40 by May 27th.

Also, If I missed you, please let me know!

Proud member of the Old Guard, but didn't see my name in the opening post.

1 hour ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

Bump.

It would be really cool if we could dig up 5 more fossils.  That way we'd have 40 Old Guard on the 40th anniversary.

I still can't believe I was drinking beer at Worlds with CaribbeanNinja...and his son.

I was born in 79, so missed the cinema release but here in the UK SW was shown every Christmas on TV from as early as I can remember. My entire childhood in the 80's was SW.... I'd never change it for anything! SW has given me such fond childhood memories!

Requesting honoury Old Guard status ?

I saw it in theatres opening summer. We lived in the country and weren't hip to what was new and cool. But my mom's twin sister from Minneapolis was in the know and convinced my parents that they had to take us. She regaled us with stories of a young idealist, a crazy old man, and a deadly planet with a crater on it that blew up other planets...complete with sound effects.  Think c3po's story to the ewoks in Jedi. The six of us (mom, dad,  A. Sarah, me, my sister, and brother) all treked to Rochester to see it. Everyone loved it with a great love. I was 6.

Edited by RobertK

I went to see a new hope at the cinema when it came out in 77, infact I can still remember the colour of the seats ( burgundy reddy), the smoke curling up through the cinema (you could smoke while watching films then). The music starting, the storyline rolling up,then it happened....the blockade runnner comes into view then......... The star destoryer..........a completely new film experience. 

But I was only Five and my previous cinema experience had been bambi.

You can add me to the old guard as well although I was 5 when I saw Star Wars.  I remember my parents bringing me and my brother to the Drive-In theater and the movie theater to see it.  My recollection is that I saw it 4 times but a few of those were part of double-features.  I'm remembering Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger, Smokey and the Bandit, and can't recall the other movie.  Could have been Saturday Night Fever ;)

Im from 79, but I don't consider myself as part of the young guard. :P

My dad never really liked Star Wars back then, so the majority of Star Wars toys I had during the 1980's and first half of 90's, was what I could improvise out of LEGO.

FYI: VHS tapes was frequently lined up, to simulate the Death Star trench ;)

Edited by Kiwi Rat

On 24 April 2017 at 7:04 PM, Undeadguy said:

I was born in '93. Try and stop me from coming on your lawn (thread) old man. 

I still suffer from a massive psychological barrier in relation to truely believing that anyone who was born in the 90s is actually an adult. because if that was true I would I fact be middle aged and not 25.