CaribbeanNinja

Poll - May 25, 1977 - A New Hope? The Original Release?

1 minute ago, miferr said:

I am in the Old Guard. 

Yes.  Yes you are.

Do you remember when we used to fight with our action figures, how you were always the Empire (Which meant Darth Vader) and me and Angel (our cousin) were ALWAYS the rebels?

My how things change...

1 minute ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

Yes.  Yes you are.

Do you remember when we used to fight with our action figures, how you were always the Empire (Which meant Darth Vader) and me and Angel (our cousin) were ALWAYS the rebels?

My how things change...

Yeah I tried to paste a picture the first time...maybe it will work this time...

Everyone in the Old Guard...slide your lightsabers out! :)

332183-d4b4695b71e345e6a7bd09e7d0e0fd3b.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Squid89 said:

Saw it in summer 1977 when I was 6 years old and There was no Episode IV yet, just Star Wars.   Still have all the action figures and the lunch box.

You must have taken really good care of your toys. Luke probably had his head crazy glued back on at least a dozen times.

Born in '82, here, just turned 35.  Too young to see it in the theatre, but by hell I'm old enough to have watched it on a stupidly expensive Beta Max.

First thing I remember being scared of was the giant monster on the Ewok Adventure grabbing people up.

I didn't get to see Star Wars until July of '77. Didn't get to see it again until August of '77, when a buddy invited me to go along with his family. I thought it was the greatest movie ever for a very long time...

Parents pulled us out of school for opening day on both Empire and Return of the Jedi. I saw Jedi a bit more than the others, being 14 in '83 had its perks.

I was just over 10 (birthday was in March ) and I'll be honest, saw no commercials. Nothing. And I thought just looking at the print add (Luke standing in front of Leia with light sabre raised in cheap black & white newsprint), wow, what  crappy looking movie. So initially no desire to see.

Then my friend came back from vacation, so probably around late August, and told me a fabulous movie it was....but then it was too late to see as it had left the theatres and i needed to wait for the following year when it returned to theatres. Something the youngens here are unfamiliar with, what with DVD releases and all. Popular movies came back every year.

So put me down as one of the old guard.

10 hours ago, Church14 said:

At 30 I'm still young enough to do stupid stuff but old enough to own a home. So I just yell at myself when I'm on my own lawn

Put a downpayment on my first 2-up-2-down terrace house at age 21 in 2003, renovated it while studying for my MA and working full time, sold it in 2007 for nearly 100% profit.  Got told I was stupid to buy the house, got told I was stupid to sell it.  Fancy that.  Don't assume you are too old/young/stupid to do something based on 'common wisdom'.  Make your own choices and keep your eyes open.

Must have watched 100 star wars movies in that house.  I average about one per fortnight.

as a 1982 baby I am kind of 'middle guard'.  But I have inducted a legion by talking about Star Wars to Chinese middle and high school kids for the last 10 years.  I show them episodes of Rebels if their grades are good enough.

Edited by D503

I'm old guard as well.  Didn't see it in the theatres though, as I was only three, and my parents and I had literally just emigrated to America.  I didn't get to watch Star Wars until it came on TV in the early 80's.  I remember being at a friend's house and being thoroughly hooked....

Born in 1973.

Lost this card in the theater when I first saw Star Wars. I was almost four the first time my mom took me to see it. Was four the second time. Though I saw it twice in the theater, I don't remember many specific scenes, guess I was too young, or I'm too old to remember now. The cantina scene, Luke and the droids in the the Lars' garage, Obi-Wan and Vader fighting, the ships fighting over the Death Star, and the Tusken Raiders and Jawas are still on the big screen in my dim memories way back when.  I remember loving it, and being fascinated by it. And losing my favorite card...

58fecd2b4bc41_hanandchewie.jpg.f98265054509882983aed8c6e0f1887a.jpg

Edited by anthemius

On the new side too. Freshy wed, freshly became a father, just beyond the 30 mark.

But my very first movie memory is Star Wars! The old VHS era when thr only way to get VHS behind the Iron Courtain was with one guy reading the translation over the original sound. Good old times :)

Edited by Norell

I'm in the old guard I'm afraid. I actually remember bits of Star Wars from 1977 when I was 3! My dad and a neighbor same age as me and his dad went. I remember the fight in the detention center on the Death Star. Me and my buddy were running around on the stage infont of the screen at that point! First movie I ever saw and haven't looked back! 

When my father asked why I saw Rogue one 3x in a week when it came out I told him it was his fault! ;)