CaribbeanNinja

Poll - May 25, 1977 - A New Hope? The Original Release?

Now there's a film that I've loved for a long, long time. A long time.

"You do know it then?"

Of course I know it...it's me.  I haven't remembered truly loving another film since, oh, since before you were born.

Calling out all the old Star Wars Armada nerds here.  If you were old enough to walk, crawl, drive or be carried to see A New Hope on May 25, 1977, speak up and be heard.

Younglings, we love you.  You are the future we all wanted for Star Wars.  I'm so excited that the franchise is pulling in so many fresh faces and voices.  Now get the **** out. :) 

I'm imagining that MOST of the forum belongs to the "newer" side of the May 25th 1977 dividing line.  I thought it'd be cool to find out.  And yeah it is probably Off-Topic.  That's okay.  I forget to post/check that sub-forum regularly. :)

The Old Guard:

@CaribbeanNinja

@itzSteve

@mcworrell

@HoundsTooth

@Beatty

@miferr

@mhd

@MerryVulture

@NeonKnight

@gaerithe

@Maturin

@idiewell

@anthemius

@Daht

@racknut

@Megatronrex

@Corver

@cynanbloodbane

@Democratus

@Vetnor

@Totengraber

@Trumpet

@RogueCommander

@TheEasternKing

@TheEldarGuy

@kippryon

@KAGE13

@solaria

@KnightHammer

@SentinelJP

@Raging Celt

@DarthBadger

@IvoryTower

@NebulonB

@Squid89

@Kushielrdf

@homedrone

@Jimble

@RobertK

@Jondavies72

@emfrank72

@callidusx3

@SirDave

@Daft Blazer

Edited by CaribbeanNinja

I was born in 82. Just a bit late for the first run of ANH and too young to remember even if my parents took me to ROTJ.

Honestly, I cut my Sci Fi teeth on PBS aired reruns of Star Trek's original series with my Father. It was a treat to stay up past bedtime on Saturday night to watch episodes he enjoyed on their first airings as a kid.

I am part of the old guard here. I was visiting my grandparents for the summer as a 12yr. old. Looking for something to do, and hadn't heard ANYTHING about the movie since social media didn't exist back then. I was blown away by the movie and saw it 3 times that week.

Edited by itzSteve

My dad fondly tells me the story of seeing the first screening of ESB in his town. As they left he said a couple teenagers yelled out the Darth Vader twist to the waiting line.

Edited by Forresto

2 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

Preparing to throw bags of flaming poo full of flotillas and RLB cards :P

Dude. Save the RLB cards. Throw all of your not-alt art rapid reloads in there. 

At 30 I'm still young enough to do stupid stuff but old enough to own a home. So I just yell at myself when I'm on my own lawn

I suppose to pitch in on the topic itself...

I missed the original release by a round decade.  I do remember first seeing ROTJ when I was 4 or 5, and then watching ESB and ANH.  So I'm probably one of the few here that actually watched the original trilogy in reverse order.  Fortunately I was too young to understand the story implications, and instead hooked onto the spaceships and laser swords.  And that one awesome guy with a jetpack.

I was first exposed to Star Wars as a video game in an issue of Nintendo Power.  Before I turned 10, I had figured out that this game I had never played was actually a trilogy of movies.  I finished those off, and me and my middle school friends would watch them regularly.  At the same time, we played the Star Wars CCG, TIE Fighter, and watched the Special Edition in when it came out in theaters.  I read every single Star Wars book that was released.  Even the bad ones.  Mofference, I'm looking at you!

I'm still old enough that 4, 5, and 6 are what "Star Wars" is to me.  And not Special Edition 4, 5, and 6.  We had the old school VHS, without any of that fancy updates.  1, 2, and 3 were when my childhood died.  The Clone Wars TV series felt like a cynical cash in to a time period I didn't care about.

Saw the remakes in theater lol does that count? I wish my parents still had their  old bootlegged VHS copies of the real movies. Earliest childhood memories are of Vader walking onto tantive 4 and his head stretching off to the side because the tracking in that old VHS player sucked!

Just over two and a half years old when it was originally released. Saw it the year it premiered on UK TV... My parents made me have a sleep in the afternoon so I could stay up late to watch it! Empire was the first film I remember seeing on a friends VCR (before everyone had one!). My aunt and her then boyfriend took me to the cinema to see RotJ. We had to wait in a line outside the cinema 'cos it only had one screen. And we sat in the 'smoking' section 'cos the then boyfriend smoked. I went to see Episode One on the day it was released with a work colleague (who was equally as excited as I was) and we walked out of one screening straight into another because we couldn't believe it was that bad and had to see it again. Went to see Episode Two with my then girlfriend who is now my wife and Episode Three was the last film we saw before she gave birth to our son... Who I took to see Episode Seven last year at the age of ten. And we've just watched Rogue One again on DVD and I can't believe how much more I enjoyed it on the small screen as opposed to the cinema! ;):D

8 minutes ago, BiggsIRL said:

I was first exposed to Star Wars as a video game in an issue of Nintendo Power.  Before I turned 10, I had figured out that this game I had never played was actually a trilogy of movies.  I finished those off, and me and my middle school friends would watch them regularly.  At the same time, we played the Star Wars CCG, TIE Fighter, and watched the Special Edition in when it came out in theaters.  I read every single Star Wars book that was released.  Even the bad ones.  Mofference, I'm looking at you!

I'm still old enough that 4, 5, and 6 are what "Star Wars" is to me.  And not Special Edition 4, 5, and 6.  We had the old school VHS, without any of that fancy updates.  1, 2, and 3 were when my childhood died.  The Clone Wars TV series felt like a cynical cash in to a time period I didn't care about.

As someone who grew up during the Clone Wars era, I love the period. I recognize that Lucas totally gaffed what could have been a conflict five or ten times more epic, but I love it anyway.

i don't actually remember when I first saw ANH. I do know it was far enough back it was on laserdisk, and I watched it so many times before I turned seven I still twitch today over a decade (and almost another half) later at the shot that meant I had to stand up and change disks.

The issue for me watching them that young is that they are a cinematic zero point for me. I can't give any of the OT a grade, or meaningfully compare them to another film. They're so ingrained in me they can't even crack a favorites list, since the criteria is usually a riff on Would Watch Over Star Wars. That's part of why I loved Rogue One so much, because in addition to being the Star Wars movie I've waited my entire life for (buzz off TFA, long live Legends!) it let me have the Star Wars moment everyone else describes from ANH.

Saw Star Wars, it wasn't a New Hope at the time, June of 77. My father just got back from seeing it himself and he went straight home and grabbed me and my brother to go see it with him. Studio 28, theatre 2, middle row a little more than half way back. I was 5.

It left an impression.

Edited by Beatty

In case anyone was wondering when Star Wars first came out it was an unheard of movie that was expected to bomb and very few theaters carried it until June. Then word started to get out.

So very few people saw it opening weekend in May. And I saw it opening weekend in my area. So points for anyone who saw it in May.

8 minutes ago, Beatty said:

In case anyone was wondering when Star Wars first came out it was an unheard of movie that was expected to bomb and very few theaters carried it until June. Then word started to get out.

So very few people saw it opening weekend in May. And I saw it opening weekend in my area. So points for anyone who saw it in May.

Yup.  I remember my Grandfather taking me and my brother to see it in the summer.  Had to have been in June.  My brother is a forum member.  We'll see if he signs up for the Old Guard :)

Edited by CaribbeanNinja

4 minutes ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

Yup.  I remember my Grandfather taking me and my brother to see it in the summer.  Had to have been in June.  My brother is a forum memberner.  We'll see if he signs up for the Old Guard :)

I take it Christmas that year was full of Star Wars wishes. I wish I still had the toys and that Awesome Lunch Box still. 

This one.

Edited by Beatty