Darth Sanguis

Tabletop sim: Armada

The VR armada was Microsoft Hololens, so still a few years away from being practical, but I'm sure we will get there.

Tabletop Armada has it's own discord and facebook group to find games with, but I am not a member of either. Tabletop Sim was advertising their "Championship" tournament here pretty recently and it seemed like that had a pretty decent turnout for it from the posts I read.

Really, even a small amount of forum search-fu will get you what you are looking for.

Table Top sim is good and looks great. A little less complex than Vassal (But after you learn the Vassal side it is not that hard) My only issue was not being able to find people in my time zone to play on TTS

TTS is alright, clunky, bad camera, and all the obstructive issues of real armada and then some.  Never spent much time in Vassal but it looked a lot cleaner overall.  But if it let's you sneak in a game, its all good. 

if you would like to join the discord group heres the link: Armada TTS the group is pretty sizeable, but things have died down a bit, not sure if due to lack of time or just no one want to play online. As for TTS itself I personally really enjoy it. and you can play a top down view just vassal, but TTS is to simulate a real life game which it does fairly well and also no clean up :D  basically if you want to just play the game go vassal if you want to play a game and feel like its close to being the real thing go for TTS.

I like TTS, have not messed with Vassal much, but I like how TTS gives a more tabletop feel of the game.  The latest update to TTS seems to have worked out a lot of the glitches, and it is very user friendly! 

I enjoy TTS better than Vassel.  I think that it runs a lot smoother and looks better.  Vassel does have some advantages that is for sure, however I think either one can be fine as long as both players are conversant with the simulator mechanics of them.

Tts is deginitely more user-friendly. But I still prefer Vassal. I just feel bad for simulating a complete tabletop game instead of playing the real thing. Vassal is abstract enough not to be ashamed of playing on a computer :D

Sidenote: is there an Empire&Federation mod for TTS? I need some crazy guys tonplay with and even my friends aren' THAT crazy..

I think TTS Armada needs a bit of love, but I think the potential quality could be a lot better than Vassal (in my mind, they are currently tied). I've been making mods for TTS for a little while and I plan on taking a pass on Armada soon.

The way it works is you buy TTS and then subscribe to Valadian's TTS mod (star wars armada - complete w/scripting) and your good to go. Also its nice to having TTS as you can play a bunch of other games on there like Axis & Allies, Secret Hitler, X-wing, Warhammer etc. you just need to subscribe to the mods. 

Wait... Tabletop Simulator is *more* user friendly than Vassal?

When I played, it was **** near impossible to do some of the simplest tasks, and every piece on the board got knocked over or jostled around anytime anything was moved. The only control that seemed to work at all reliably was flip the table ><

It has been a while though, did I just play a super old version of TTS and it's gotten way better since then? Because the thought of trying to play Armada with such a control scheme is only slightly more pleasant than that of pouring salt in my eyes.

@NewTroski I think you might've played the other Armada mod, that one has been unsupported since wave 2 released I believe and it was bad. The one I linked for valadian is much better. All units are locked on the board until manually unlocked to be deleted. The maneuver tool also can go through models without flinging them off the board. It is very nice and the discord server helped to get it as best as it possibly can be. I would recommend a second try at it.

And if anyone is interested I can play friday night around 6pm PST/9pm EST

I wanna play STA on TTS but i havent had much game time IRL as i hadn't had anyone to play it with. So it would be great to see if someone could teach me things so i dont do the wrong thing IRL.

Also is X-Wing easier compared to Armada or visa versa?

Edited by LilOzBoy