pdf0202

Quick and easy way to Magnetize

I found a quick and easy way to magnetize the figures to the trays.

I found a magnet that has a hole in the middle that fits around the peg in the tray at Home Depot. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-MAGNETICS-3-8-in-Neodymium-Rare-Earth-Magnet-Discs-12-per-Pack-07090HD/202526371

58fd6b09abc63_MagnetsinTray-min.jpg.93387af64cbe81856c8cfaf0188c53b3.jpg

I found a 1/4" washer that fits on the figure. 

58fd6b3cc2385_Washerinunit-min.jpg.5d8c07f41a4a137d4048f9350abbaa2e.jpg

I used superglue to hold the magnet and washer.

It does make the figures sit up about half the height of the base, but not too bad and with some good basing it should be relatively hidden.

58fd6c19ddd24_UnitsinTray-min.jpg.604209cd1ecfc9a46de2804e6e2943e5.jpg

I went to Home Depot after work yesterday, picked up multiple packs of magnets and a couple of bags of washers.  Went home and spent 3 hours gluing.  I'm so happy.  The models now "snap" into the trays and won't shift off during transit/storage.

Great idea.

That's pretty awesome, have either of you done it for the larger models ? Cav or golems etc? I imagine you need larger (not thicker) washers or magnets to have them sit even and not rock around the center point? 

1 minute ago, Blaied said:

That's pretty awesome, have either of you done it for the larger models ? Cav or golems etc? I imagine you need larger (not thicker) washers or magnets to have them sit even and not rock around the center point? 

I have not tried it on the larger models yet.  Hopefully tonight I will have some time.

1 hour ago, Blaied said:

I need to pick up more washers before I can do the cavalry.  My expectation is that a single magnet and single washer will work fine.  The magnets are strong enough to "snap" the models into place.  The model isn't going to wobble or rock back and forth.

I'll hopefully have pictures up tomorrow or so.

Ya I wouldn't think it's an issue of magnet strength, more and issue of the larger amount of negative space around the magnet and washer in the larger/longer bases. Meaning it's less likely to sit "level" since it sits out of the slot a bit already. 

Still it's a good quick solution and I'm probably gonna use it lol I'll just end up painting the exposed edge the same browns as my tray/bases to blend it in a bit 

Edited by Blaied

I actually LIKE how they stand up out from the base. Like you said it won't be super noticeable while gaming and it will keep the "snug fit" issue to a minimum, and doesnt require me to chop apart my trays.