Sign in to follow this  
awp832

anyone playing Hard Mode?

I started a Dunwich hard mode campaign today with my wife.  When the game first came out we tried doing Hard mode a little and we got absolutely wrecked, so we said "okay!  Standard mode for us!".  But the times they are a changin', and  with more cards and powerful options available we were winning most standard mode games, so we decided to go up to hard mode.

So far we played The House Always Wins using Jim/ Jenny.   We obtained a favorable result (Morgan rescued, no cheating at cards) and netted 5 xp, and I didn't find it to be substantially more difficult than normal mode.     BUT, that's only one scenario.  

Anyone else playing on hard mode?  What are your experiences?  Is there a particular scenario where there seems to be a large difference between standard and hard mode?

Edited by awp832

We found standard a bit too easy (we're regularly going "we haven't cleared that XP-providing location yet, don't finish just now"). So we started Hard mode on Curse of the Rougarou (it's a relatively easy scenario), then we started Night of the Zealot. On our first try, we lost before we could even pop the Ghoul Priest in the Gathering (we were somewhat overconfident and unlucky - Baron Samedi 1st turn in that scenario, ouch). So we tried again and managed it (with only 7 XP because one of the XP-providing ghouls was stuck at the bottom of the deck). The main difference is in the special tokens' effects.

We're doing pretty well on Standard, but have found Hard to be seriously painful.  It's a big jump, since both the bag and the tokens get worse at the same time.  We may try a "StaHard" difficulty where we use the tougher bag but not the upgraded effects, or vice versa.  But realistically, we find Standard gives plenty of risk even if we usually pull it out.

39 minutes ago, Buhallin said:

We're doing pretty well on Standard, but have found Hard to be seriously painful.  It's a big jump, since both the bag and the tokens get worse at the same time.  We may try a "StaHard" difficulty where we use the tougher bag but not the upgraded effects, or vice versa.  But realistically, we find Standard gives plenty of risk even if we usually pull it out.

I like the idea of using the different effects instead of changing the bag. I feel like the minus 5 6 7 etc. will be quite painful for us. It would be more interesting to see how the different effects change the difficulty.

I probably play Standard and Hard with about equal frequency. Depends on the group I'm playing with. Although I do tend to play Zealot more on Hard than Dunwich.

I'd say we're a little under 50/50 success on Hard Zealot? Though that's obviously after many Standard plays.

All else being equal, we've actually found Devourer doesn't get much harder, because most of our losses at both difficulties are from Ancient Evils accelerating the clock. A few more failures, or a few more cards and resources thrown at tests is outweighed by the loss of entire rounds.

Of course, getting a good result on Masks is quite a bit more difficult, so all else is rarely equal.

The big trick in general is building your decks and playing differently to account for bag changes, as well as scenario card changes. Failure is more frequent, and the symbols more punishing, so you have to minimize bag dependence, and account for the still infrequent but much more punishing symbol draws in your play.

I only just got a group to play through all of the stories.  We're an experienced group and are breezing through on standard.  I expect once we finish Dunwich we'll replay on a harder difficulty.  The newer player cards definitely push the power up enough to justify the higher difficulty play.

32 minutes ago, Duraham said:

How about trying Stanhard? Standard chaos tokens, Hard special token effects

Sounds swingy but I appreciate the portmanteau.

I would rather try it the other way round: Hard token pool, Standard special token effects.

Edited by tsuma534

On 4/24/2017 at 8:17 PM, BD Flory said:

The big trick in general is building your decks and playing differently to account for bag changes, as well as scenario card changes. Failure is more frequent, and the symbols more punishing, so you have to minimize bag dependence, and account for the still infrequent but much more punishing symbol draws in your play.

This, to me, is the single most important detail for playing on hard. A simple example: core set, scenario 1: on easy/standard, skull = -x, where x is the number of ghouls in play. On hard/expert, it's -2 (not so big a deal) but if you fail, you need to search the encounter deck for a ghoul and draw it. Once you're switched on to this challenge, a player shouldn't risk a test at 1 above unless they have spare actions or an easy way of dealing with a ghoul - or indeed are favourably inclined to drawing a ghoul. When I first tried hard, it was definitely a tricky shift in mentality, but once you're aware of it, it can be very rewarding to avoid the nastiness of the special tokens. 

On Wed Apr 26 2017 at 8:53 AM, zooeyglass said:

This, to me, is the single most important detail for playing on hard. A simple example: core set, scenario 1: on easy/standard, skull = -x, where x is the number of ghouls in play. On hard/expert, it's -2 (not so big a deal) but if you fail, you need to search the encounter deck for a ghoul and draw it. Once you're switched on to this challenge, a player shouldn't risk a test at 1 above unless they have spare actions or an easy way of dealing with a ghoul - or indeed are favourably inclined to drawing a ghoul. When I first tried hard, it was definitely a tricky shift in mentality, but once you're aware of it, it can be very rewarding to avoid the nastiness of the special tokens. 

I sat through the scenario as Roland begging everyone to draw the Skull and fail so I would have something to fight. I was drawing none of my clue stuff, only combat stuff.

I find Hard mode moved us from winning pretty easy. There was actual risk, and non-bosses were threats. We actually had to consider resigning sometimes so as to not take Trauma.

I tried Hard mode , managed almost whole core set on Hard , but it wasnt that fun for me. I am playing this for story , and I always like to win and collect all XP

so Normal does it for me. Cause for me this game is all about story.

I play the game on hard mode all the time.  I love the challenge.  Sure you do get wrecked, but the way this game is designed, you can grab small victories even when handed a defeat.