Marinealver

Forget the Nerfs, how do we buff Advanced Proton torpedoes?

Switching the header to attack [focus] and dropping the requirement to spend it would do the trick. They would effectively become proton rockets only very reliable even without TL and usable on most fighters but at twice the price. A year ago i'd say it's still OP. These days I'm not so sure anymore. Price alone would stop them from being spammable and a 5 dice attack, while still very powerful, isn't something Fenn can't do on a regular basis... for free. Yup, power creep is real folks! APT don't seem so ridiculous anymore. Who knows, maybe good old T-65s (among other things) could be worth it with this kind of alpha strike capacity?

50 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

If APTs get buffed then we enter the nuclear age. The only way to win is not to play.

Are you sure we haven't entered it yet? I have seen several 7 dice attacks from Pure Sabac and other methods. APT is only 5 dice (6 if Jan Ors is around)

45 minutes ago, Audio Weasel said:

You put them on Rhymer with Expertise, that's how

Nerf, I've been using him wrong as a snap tactician. No wonder I'm losing.

Edited by Marinealver

It's pretty cool on Norra. (And Jan, for funsies).

Really though, APTs are an example of a card with good design, but poor costing. It's just too expensive for how situational it is; but I don't think there's a good errata fix for it. Make the range 1-2 maybe, or cut the cost to 3 or 4.

Make the text of Extra Munitions a rule that applies to the Extra Munitions token. Then add "place one munition token on this card" to the text of ATP. 

You'd still be paying 6 points for it, but getting a second use out of the card would make folks much more likely to equip it in the first place.

6 hours ago, Punning Pundit said:

Make the text of Extra Munitions a rule that applies to the Extra Munitions token. Then add "place one munition token on this card" to the text of ATP. 

You'd still be paying 6 points for it, but getting a second use out of the card would make folks much more likely to equip it in the first place.

I think the main problem about APT is that it's so hard to use it ONCE. Giving it a second use is unlikely to change things much.

16 hours ago, Audio Weasel said:

You put them on Rhymer with Expertise, that's how

Doesn't everyone know APT were intended for y-wings? lol 

*sarcasm

Edited by terrymac94
Edited for lack of apparent sarcasm.

A meta in which Advanced Proton Torpedoes are competitive would enrage people more than Deadeye U-Boats.

Be careful what you ask for, the last time ordnance was viable it was a problem for the game. And Advanced Proton Torpedoes are the most reliable 5 die attack in the game.

Besides, the card has already been fixed. It's called Proton Rockets now and costs half as much.

Edited by Turbo Toker

4 hours ago, Turbo Toker said:

A meta in which Advanced Proton Torpedoes are competitive would enrage people more than Deadeye U-Boats.

Be careful what you ask for, the last time ordnance was viable it was a problem for the game. And Advanced Proton Torpedoes are the most reliable 5 die attack in the game.

Besides, the card has already been fixed. It's called Proton Rockets now and costs half as much.

I'd figure the range 1 would keep it, but yeah the whole outcry over torpedo weapons by people who claim the only way to play is by Arc dodging (define irony) . I still believe an alpha strike would make the meta more dynamic. 

As for proton rockets well it doesn't have the 3 auto hit mechanic that APT has the potential for.

I do this in home games. Prevent the use of Focus tokens by the defender. They're still just as hard to use. But if you can get a shot off, those high agilty defenders will be hurting. You can one shot pretty much any three hit point ship. Which is how it should be with the most powerful, costly, and difficult to use missle/torpedo in the game.