Sign in to follow this  
syrilian

A couple of questions about the end of the base game campaign-SPOILERS

Before I ask my questions, I want to say this will contain MASSIVE spoilers for the end of the campaign in the base game.

1)If Umordhoth is engaged with me, if I take the action on his card to throw Lita at it, does it take an attack of opportunity on me? 

2)Is sacrificing Lita considered a win. It doesn't say either you win or lose. 

3)Do the traumas you take at the end of the game for sacrificing Lita actually matter since the next expansion is meant to be played with fresh characters?

• From the arkhamdb faq: Note that the action ability here is not a Parley, so you will get hit by an attack of opportunity when using it, and your investigator can be defeated before that action resolves.
  •  it's not considered a win. It's a resolution, but as it says, you did some pretty immoral things and you feel like garbage because of it. The win is only putting the thing down or stop it from ever showing, and not making the sacrifice. It's just not considered a loss either because you still stopped him, just not in a very morally sound way.
  • two reasons. One, so you can see the condition of your investigator at the very end. Two, for those that do want to continue on, because while not recommended, it is something you are allowed to do within the rules.

Doma is correct on everything, but just to add one other thing that sometimes comes up about Lita and the attack of opportunity:

Having Lita in play is a cost of the action, she only needs to be in play when you initiate the action.  She does not need to still be around after the attack, so you will still get the resolution even if the attack of opportunity kills Lita.  If you are defeated as well, however, you will be defeated first, as Doma says.

We played through Night of the Zealot and stopped the ritual from happening. We decided to carry on with the characters, but ignored the trauma. We reasoned that we got the "good" ending and there should be some respite because you saved Arkham.

In the roleplaying game you would always receive sanity back when you completed an adventure successfully. While you lose any sanity damage you take, it didn't feel right taking so much for winning (and not having even seen the big gribbly).

We still kept the trauma from burning the house down though, as that felt appropriate and would have kept any from being eliminated had that happened. While what we did is not in keeping with the rules as written, it felt better than having such a downer of a ending (one player on three mental trauma, the other on 2 with the highest sanity being 5)

11 hours ago, Meretrix said:

2) It is most definitely considered a win. This woman started a fight with a God she couldn't win and turned your house into either ashes or a ghoul nest. She got what she deserved and you saved Arkham from certain destruction.

In game terms, every victory is marked with "the investigators win!" And that one is not, so it is not a win, it's a neutral. And I'm not going to agree, because at least she took action against an ancient one. Complacency is just as evil as evil itself. You'd say professor armitage was wrong for taking on the spawn of yog sothoth? When you already know the god is going to cause damage, I have no issues with you standing up to it

Evil? Good? All are one in Yog-Sothoth, Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again. He knows where They have trod earth's fields, and where They still tread them, and why no one can behold Them as They tread.  Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

47 minutes ago, Meretrix said:

Evil? Good? All are one in Yog-Sothoth, Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again. He knows where They have trod earth's fields, and where They still tread them, and why no one can behold Them as They tread.  Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

tsk tsk, evil cultist. Zoey smites your wickedness.