Jump to content
C3gorach

L5R LCG game accessories...

Recommended Posts

Netrunner's official play support had Acrylic tokens of various flavors, play mats, Alternate art cards, and custom boxes iirc.  I would expect more of the same.

Hopefully card sizes won't be something FFG specific.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mirith said:

Netrunner's official play support had Acrylic tokens of various flavors, play mats, Alternate art cards, and custom boxes iirc.  I would expect more of the same.

Hopefully card sizes won't be something FFG specific.

This is something I'm not particularly looking forward to at all. And when I acquire my trinkets, I will certainly turn around and sell it all to people who do think they are worth something! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BayushiCroy said:

With my new play mat and using old full bleed rings for my own tokens, I am good. 

Are you just gonna sharpie political and military on them or what? There has to be a distinction, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sparks Duh said:

This is something I'm not particularly looking forward to at all. And when I acquire my trinkets, I will certainly turn around and sell it all to people who do think they are worth something! :D

I really liked the full-bleeds they did.  Most of them were gorgeous.  Not all.  Some were awful.

However, its better than nothing.  I was glad they did that sort of thing as part of the "Tournament Support Package" your FLGS could order, since it gave the store something to include as prize support that wasn't just cash/store credit  since card packs weren't really an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mirith said:

I really liked the full-bleeds they did.  Most of them were gorgeous.  Not all.  Some were awful.

However, its better than nothing.  I was glad they did that sort of thing as part of the "Tournament Support Package" your FLGS could order, since it gave the store something to include as prize support that wasn't just cash/store credit  since card packs weren't really an option.

Sure... but it's just another reason I'm not a fan of the LCG model. Getting, in my opinion, worthless prizes. I'd much rather be able to win product and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sparks Duh said:

Sure... but it's just another reason I'm not a fan of the LCG model. Getting, in my opinion, worthless prizes. I'd much rather be able to win product and such.

I agree. But I'll sacrifice that for a continued game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although this is a great place to ask about a problem I'm having. 

Since official tournaments will have fullbleeds and mats and l all that, I want to work hard to continue the tradition of top of clan prizes and honor contests. 

I wanted to ask folks like @Sparks Duh, @kempy, @Hinomura suggestions on what are good prizes for that to do monthly or so. Without breaking the bank. 

I expect to be supplementing prize support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BayushiCroy said:

Although this is a great place to ask about a problem I'm having. 

Since official tournaments will have fullbleeds and mats and l all that, I want to work hard to continue the tradition of top of clan prizes and honor contests. 

I wanted to ask folks like @Sparks Duh, @kempy, @Hinomura suggestions on what are good prizes for that to do monthly or so. Without breaking the bank. 

I expect to be supplementing prize support. 

Well I'm hoping FFG will give official top of clan support with story prizes and whatnot.

But as far as supplemental support, here's a few that I can think of off the top of my head:
1) I've seen these at many CCG tourneys, but there were some nice looking 3D strongholds running around.
2) You could do clan specific spinners for honor and/or bidding dials.
3) Clan specific playmats could be good.
4) In a kotei that I ran, I had chopsticks made with clan mons engraved to be given out to help top of clan.
5) I've seen top of clan swords with clan mons engraved as well. Bobcon (Nebraska Kotei) ALWAYS had clan swords to be given out for top of clan prizes. I HAVE SO MANY SWORDS! lol

Edited by Sparks Duh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sparks Duh said:


5) I've seen top of clan swords with clan mons engraved as well. Bobcon (Nebraska Kotei) ALWAYS had clan swords to be given out for top of clan prizes. I HAVE SO MANY SWORDS! lol

Best Kotei ever. I have three swords because of that guy!

Really you can put clan mons on almost anything and it'll be a hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 Booster Boxes as main prize and half for every Top of Clan. It's enough i think.

---

About Alt arts, i hope you guys won't reach the point where half of the cards will be made of fandom alternate art cards. It's just plague here in AGoT, when every TO is making its own. For people who are visual type of players, it's like a nightmare.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, kempy said:

3 Booster Boxes as main prize and half for every Top of Clan. It's enough i think.

---

About Alt arts, i hope you guys won't reach the point where half of the cards will be made of fandom alternate art cards. It's just plague here in AGoT, when every TO is making its own. For people who are visual type of players, it's like a nightmare.

 

 

I will actually completely agree on the alternates part. I am not a fan of altarnate half of my opponents deck. Sure that to be polite, I will allow it, but it gives me headache as I usually recognize cards through art. 
I dont like to constantly ask my opponent "what does this card do?" (as I avoid touching opponent's cards) just to get an answer "oh thats just hida kisada" - oooh yeah yeah I know, ty....

Hope that TOs will figure out some cool swag, including honor counters, fate counters, mats, maybe extravagant clan mons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kempy said:

3 Booster Boxes as main prize and half for every Top of Clan. It's enough i think.

---

About Alt arts, i hope you guys won't reach the point where half of the cards will be made of fandom alternate art cards. It's just plague here in AGoT, when every TO is making its own. For people who are visual type of players, it's like a nightmare.

 

 

Booster boxes for what game, I wonder?

My only advice would be NOT consumables, at least not as the main prize.  Having a trinket you can hold on to in memory of the event is fun.  Having something that's going to get drunk/eaten/used-up/etc. is much more easily forgotten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BayushiCroy said:

Although this is a great place to ask about a problem I'm having. 

Since official tournaments will have fullbleeds and mats and l all that, I want to work hard to continue the tradition of top of clan prizes and honor contests. 

I wanted to ask folks like @Sparks Duh, @kempy, @Hinomura suggestions on what are good prizes for that to do monthly or so. Without breaking the bank. 

I expect to be supplementing prize support. 

I think a lot of this depends on how many people you're expecting to your monthly tournaments - for less than twenty or so, it's probably not worth awarding a ToC prize each time, but I do have an idea that might be worth it.

If you're expecting regular attendance to your events, take a look through the art in the LCG and pick out a few pieces from each Clan that you like, then Google the artist to see if the pieces are available for sale as prints. Pick up one print for each Clan, and get some nice but cheap frames from your local Wal-Mart or similar. Make up a poster and display it in your local store which each of the seven clans on (or seven posters, if you like and have the space), and space to write in names underneath. Every time you hold an event, note the top of clan, and write them in. First person to get three ToCs for the same clan wins the artwork.

You could also pick a more generic piece of artwork and have it as a prize for the first person to get Top of Clan for all seven clans.

I'll try and come back to this question at a later date and make some more suggestions, but dinner calls :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see nice acrylic versions of the 1st player token, rings, fate and honor tokens to be sure. 

I personally already have clan specific dice bags, d10's, deck boxes, playmats, etc...

I'm stoked I found my glass pebble counters that have the clan mon on them. I've found 11. Seems large enough for my fate pool. I have some ivory tokens with the clan mon on them and some acrylic red clan mon tokens from the old days I'll use for honored and dishonored status since turning a card upside down freaks out the newbies. Lol

In the meantime, I've ordered some coin rounds for my rings so they don't end up marred and hideous after a few weeks use, and will be grabbing some red glass counter pebbles for my honor. The 1st Player Token will likely just be a coin or whatever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2017 at 6:17 PM, Ide Yoshiya said:

That game's design would be such a perfect match for an L5R boardgame it's silly. All you'd need to do would be to change names and stuff and replace the map of Japan with one of Rokugan.

Rising Sun Backer here...

*Ideas running through head*

*searches interwebs for map of Rokugan... looks at viable printing solutions*

niiice.... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you think of custom coin ring tokens with a MIL and POL design face?  I have a buddy who makes custom coins, and I like the feel and weight of them.  A set of 5 elemental ring coins, double sided for MIL and POL with custom artwork might be $100 for the set BUT it would be a VERY nice set.  Maybe a double sided Imperial Favor coin would be a good idea too.

What do you think about that?

Also what do you think about an honor tracker that gives a numeric visual so it is easy to read your opponent's honor (sometimes I'm lost as to what their exact count is with the lay of the chips) while also being resistant to disruption / bumping / knocked over, and easily viewable from a seated position at the table (don't have to lean over or stand up to view)

Would this be something people want?  I have a design I'm working on, and I might be able to do a production run if there is interest.  I'm finishing the design now.

Edited by shosuko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, shosuko said:

What do you think of custom coin ring tokens with a MIL and POL design face?  I have a buddy who makes custom coins, and I like the feel and weight of them.  A set of 5 elemental ring coins, double sided for MIL and POL with custom artwork might be $100 for the set BUT it would be a VERY nice set.  Maybe a double sided Imperial Favor coin would be a good idea too.

What do you think about that?

Also what do you think about an honor tracker that gives a numeric visual so it is easy to read your opponent's honor (sometimes I'm lost as to what their exact count is with the lay of the chips) while also being resistant to disruption / bumping / knocked over, and easily viewable from a seated position at the table (don't have to lean over or stand up to view)

Would this be something people want?  I have a design I'm working on, and I might be able to do a production run if there is interest.  I'm finishing the design now.

I like the idea of the first one, but I wouldn't pay $100 for it.  Is there an appropriate metal you could use that is inexpensive?

Trying to figure out an honor counter so that people, at a glance, can tell how much honor you have when you have more than 5 is needed for this game.  Ideally it is something where you can easily hand an honor to your opponent.

Given that I'm an EE, I started thinking of an electronic counter, but that starts getting expensive without doing larger runs, given that the cost of making 1-10 is usually about the same overall as making 50, and 100 doesn't cost much more

Some people had some ideas on the Discord about this if you want to check with them.

Another thought here is to leverage kickstarter or some other crowd-funding scheme, where you can gather enough money to do a larger run assuming there is enough interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Custom meeples from Spain have some acrylic tokens out now. Fate, Honor, Honored/Dishonored and a dial.  Not keen on the dial, but ordered a combined pack and hoping they do a first player token at some point. I was looking at some Chinese Feng Shui coins from Amazon at one point, but then found these. BTW they will also do a "faction" logo on the honor tokens instead of the standard honor script

.

 

http://www.customeeple.com/product-category/legend-of-the-five-rings/

 

If you're in the UK, Dark Sphere stock them. Waiting on stock arriving. https://www.darksphere.co.uk/c.php?c=1083

Edited by Andyh19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Andyh19 said:

Custom meeples from Spain have some acrylic tokens out now. Fate, Honor, Honored/Dishonored and a dial.  Not keen on the dial, but ordered a combined pack and hoping they do a first player token at some point. I was looking at some Chinese Feng Shui coins from Amazon at one point, but then found these. BTW they will also do a "faction" logo on the honor tokens instead of the standard honor script

.

 

http://www.customeeple.com/product-category/legend-of-the-five-rings/

 

If you're in the UK, Dark Sphere stock them. Waiting on stock arriving. https://www.darksphere.co.uk/c.php?c=1083

I saw those but I thought the shipping costs were too high for the US.  And the honor dial was too small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mirith said:

I like the idea of the first one, but I wouldn't pay $100 for it.  Is there an appropriate metal you could use that is inexpensive?

Trying to figure out an honor counter so that people, at a glance, can tell how much honor you have when you have more than 5 is needed for this game.  Ideally it is something where you can easily hand an honor to your opponent.

Given that I'm an EE, I started thinking of an electronic counter, but that starts getting expensive without doing larger runs, given that the cost of making 1-10 is usually about the same overall as making 50, and 100 doesn't cost much more

Some people had some ideas on the Discord about this if you want to check with them.

Another thought here is to leverage kickstarter or some other crowd-funding scheme, where you can gather enough money to do a larger run assuming there is enough interest.

These would be commemorative quality metal coins.  Its typical for them to cost about $20 each.  I've joined in several custom coin runs and really love the look and feel of custom coins, this would be much more than just a fun set to play with but a genuinely awesome piece of art you can't match for a lower price.

I'm pondering doing it, but typically you would need about 100 people on board.  If there was interest I'd do a round of crowd funding to see if the money backed up the interest enough.

As for the honor counter - what I've been thinking of was something mechanical but easily cast and stable.  I'll probably follow up here with my idea once I finish developing it, but to keep cost down I'm looking at using simple materials.  What's really needed is clarity and stability.  It could be done with a simple die cut cardboard punch out just like the current tokens are, or it could be done with a 3d printer or acrylic...  still sorting through which I prefer.

The honor counter is more of a mechanical need, where the minted coins is more of an elaborate collectors desire lol

Edited by shosuko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mirith said:

I saw those but I thought the shipping costs were too high for the US.  And the honor dial was too small.

 

Yeah, the US postage is a bit high :-) Not too bad to UK, but i found Dark Sphere stocked them in the UK so put order in there. Yeah the dial was the weakest of the set.

 

Litko are doing a set if you're in the US. 

http://www.litko.net/products.php?product=L5R%3A-Fate-and-Honor-Token-Set-(90)#.WdvdhGhSwuU

No honour/Dishonour tokens as far as I can see though, which I really like from the meeples set.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...