Jump to content
Sparks Duh

Troll5R - The Best Podcast!

Recommended Posts

Great card!

It does make me wonder about which point in development these card images are from.  There seems to be a lack of consistency in templating.  This card being a "Reaction" and Way of the Unicom being an "Interrupt" seems a little wonky to me.

I don't really see the reason to have both types.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Great card!

It does make me wonder about which point in development these card images are from.  There seems to be a lack of consistency in templating.  This card being a "Reaction" and Way of the Unicom being an "Interrupt" seems a little wonky to me.

I don't really see the reason to have both types.  

I don't remember if I'm remembering my brief stint in AGOT 2.0 or the end of my OL5R career, but I seem to remember Interrupt and reaction having different meanings.  I believe Reaction resolves after the effect its reacting to and interrupt resolves before the effect its reacting to.  In this case, the WotU keeps you from passing it and the RfB goes off after the bow effect has taken place.  Normally this has no meaning but when you have multiple things reacting to the same effect, the interrupts will resolve before the reactions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose.....however they could just label them all interrupts and just change the wording to make sure they are all consistent, in order to avoid extra rules.

For example:

Interrupt: before an action or ring effect would bow your character, prevent that character from being bowed by the action or ring effect.

Something like that

Edited by Ishi Tonu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ishi Tonu said:

I suppose.....however they could just label them all interrupts and just change the wording to make sure they are all consistent, in order to avoid extra rules.

For example:

Interrupt: before an action or ring effect would bow your character, prevent that character from being bowed by the action or ring effect.

Something like that

You could do something like that (allthough I'd argue it'd be better to name them all reactions since the ones triggering after wouldn't really interrupt anything), but I think it's less about when the effects resolve and more about when you can trigger them. In a lot of card games you can just stack any number of effects on top of each other regardless of how they interact and them they just resolve in reverse order of activation. FFG has moved away from this design and in most of their games you have to wait till an effect resolves to play another ones unless they are Interrupt effects. If you had interrupts which let the effect resolve and interrupts that stoped the effects, then you'd have some inconsistency as to when interrupt effects are meant to be triggered (because it doesn't make a lot of sense for you to trigger the effect, then wait for the other effect to resolve, then return to resolve the previously triggered effect, but if you don't allow interrupt effects to trigger before others, then they can't be cancels, for instance).

Considering they wanted to move awat from the "all effects stack" model, I think their solution is very elegant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reaction or Interrupt is irrelevant.  It's an action that breaks the normal cycle of priority.  Although an Interrupt occurs before something happens and a reaction occurs after something happens.......there still needs to be a trigger.  I can't play an Interrupt before I knowing if it's an effect that can be interrupted.  Sure reaction may be the better word.  I don't really care what its tagged as I just don't see the need for separating them into two different categories.  

Ultimately ill be fine with it, i get the intent and can appreciate the attempt to clear things up but I don't see how this is an elegant solution to eliminate "the stack" when multiple interrupts and/or reactions are played. It's an attempt for sure but it's really only realized as a "fix" when only one  Interrupt one Reaction are played in response to the same trigger.  As long as the wording in the card clearly explains what and when something happens I don't care what they call it.

Again I don't think it's better or worse than anything else that I've seen from any other card game in the last 25 years. Just seems a little awkward to me.  If this one of the minor oddities to me then it's not going to be a big deal at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Reaction or Interrupt is irrelevant.  It's an action that breaks the normal cycle of priority.  Although an Interrupt occurs before something happens and a reaction occurs after something happens.......there still needs to be a trigger.  I can't play an Interrupt before I knowing if it's an effect that can be interrupted.  Sure reaction may be the better word.  I don't really care what its tagged as I just don't see the need for separating them into two different categories.  

Ultimately ill be fine with it, i get the intent and can appreciate the attempt to clear things up but I don't see how this is an elegant solution to eliminate "the stack" when multiple interrupts and/or reactions are played. It's an attempt for sure but it's really only realized as a "fix" when only one  Interrupt one Reaction are played in response to the same trigger.  As long as the wording in the card clearly explains what and when something happens I don't care what they call it.

Again I don't think it's better or worse than anything else that I've seen from any other card game in the last 25 years. Just seems a little awkward to me.  If this one of the minor oddities to me then it's not going to be a big deal at all.

You're right, it's not that big a deal. I'm sorry if I got too excited (I don't really know if it's better then the other model myself, I guess it just doesn't seem awkward to me).

Edited by Zalari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Great card!

It does make me wonder about which point in development these card images are from.  There seems to be a lack of consistency in templating.  This card being a "Reaction" and Way of the Unicom being an "Interrupt" seems a little wonky to me.

I don't really see the reason to have both types.  

In Game of Thrones, an interrupt occurred before a reaction.

It's a little frustrating at times, but there were several cards that had effects that occurred or lasted until the end of the phase.

The Wall was a location that, if you had not allowed an unopposed challenge, you gained 2 power "When the phase ends."

Nightmares was an event that blanked any card "until the end of the phase."

Then there was a card called Tears of Lys that killed a character "At the end of the phase."

The Wall was an interrupt, so it resolved at the end of the phase first. Then Nightmares and then Tears of Lys.

We, colloquially called it the "WUA" (When, until, at) rule as in:
WUA.jpg.46a0c4c86dc5ec3299f449d88ffd39cd.jpg

Because it's so needlessly burdensome on the timing of the game.

But it created weird scenarios like, if you Nightmares'd the Wall, it couldn't resolve its trigger because at the "W" part of the WUA order, it was still blank. By the time Nightmares wore off during the "U" part of the WUA order, the opportunity to trigger the Wall had already passed.

 

I am sure they'll maintain the same stupid timing structure in this game too, since it is FFG haha.

Edited by Joe From Cincinnati

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/06/2017 at 11:03 PM, Joe From Cincinnati said:

But it created weird scenarios like, if you Nightmares'd the Wall, it couldn't resolve its trigger because at the "W" part of the WUA order, it was still blank. By the time Nightmares wore off during the "U" part of the WUA order, the opportunity to trigger the Wall had already passed.

... weird? That is the point of that interaction though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...