I'm sure that threatening to attack GenCon unless we're recognized would be a very bad idea and in poor taste, but how about if we threaten to stand behind everyone, loudly announcing the cards in their hands until we get recognized?  It'd still be sabotaging their warfare, but in a slightly less illegal way!

Having played Mantis pretty much since I started playing L5R all those years ago (Etsui for Emperor!) I'll be pretty gutted if they, the Wasp, Fox, and Centipede don't exist in some form in this version of the Universe.

That said, it seems pretty pointless to reset the timeline if you're planning to have history repeat itself word for word. I might be misremembering the detail, but on the Second Day of Thunder didn't Yoritomo go even further than just refusing to help unless the Mantis were made a Great Clan, and actually threatened to attack the Clan forces and potentially doom the Empire? I'd be happy to see the Mantis played up as even more bloodyminded, self serving,  and warmongering this time around. Maybe they flat out conquer some of the other Minors? 

The essential character of the Clan should probably be preserved as they, like the other Great Clans, have an interesting niche, but do they need to be the ones exploring the rest of the world? Or can that be left to the Unicorn? If they do become a Great Clan, should Yoritomo become a Kami again? Being the only GC without one was certainly interesting. There are tonnes of other plot points that could be tweaked or go completely differently this time, and it would be mad to ignore that opportunity to tell a new story. 

The Spider though... well they would need a whole string of events to happen for them to make any sense. Ban them forever.

4 hours ago, Fumo said:

Having played Mantis pretty much since I started playing L5R all those years ago (Etsui for Emperor!) I'll be pretty gutted if they, the Wasp, Fox, and Centipede don't exist in some form in this version of the Universe.

That said, it seems pretty pointless to reset the timeline if you're planning to have history repeat itself word for word. I might be misremembering the detail, but on the Second Day of Thunder didn't Yoritomo go even further than just refusing to help unless the Mantis were made a Great Clan, and actually threatened to attack the Clan forces and potentially doom the Empire? I'd be happy to see the Mantis played up as even more bloodyminded, self serving,  and warmongering this time around. Maybe they flat out conquer some of the other Minors? 

The essential character of the Clan should probably be preserved as they, like the other Great Clans, have an interesting niche, but do they need to be the ones exploring the rest of the world? Or can that be left to the Unicorn? If they do become a Great Clan, should Yoritomo become a Kami again? Being the only GC without one was certainly interesting. There are tonnes of other plot points that could be tweaked or go completely differently this time, and it would be mad to ignore that opportunity to tell a new story. 

The Spider though... well they would need a whole string of events to happen for them to make any sense. Ban them forever.

For the Mantis, I'd rather see the clan fight to his core beliefs and which minor clans join this time around.

For the Spider/Shadowlands, you could potentially just use the Emperor (post-coup). Corrupted Imperials can serve the political side and oni, goblins, and other baddies for the military side. Boiling it down more, the Imperial politicians can focus on manipulating personalities with lower politics or just be able to easily take the Imperial Favor (still don't know what it does yet). Goblins serve as cheap cannon fodder and Oni just pimp around. Even Oni no Akuma can be just like his old self and auto-break a province.

It'll be interesting to see how they implement the Oni and any spider stronghold that tries to offset/stop their oni honour loss. Can't see that working too well with the honour bidding card draw mechanic.

But anyway, you summarised my thoughts much better than me. Mantis should do Mantis, but that doesn't have to mean quite the same thing this time, or have to have quite the same outcomes.

Well, maybe they won't implement a Shadowlands Horde Stronghold. Maybe we'll see a Spider stronghold that can lose by dishonor like the other clans, but considering what we've seen from the ruleset, I highly doubt we'd see a faction immune to dishonor. 

12 minutes ago, Ser Nakata said:

Well, maybe they won't implement a Shadowlands Horde Stronghold. Maybe we'll see a Spider stronghold that can lose by dishonor like the other clans, but considering what we've seen from the ruleset, I highly doubt we'd see a faction immune to dishonor. 

Isn't that what many people have wanted for Spider all along?  "If you want to join our Empire, you should have to play by our rules!"

I can understand the frustration of Mantis and Spider players. After all, I was planning on going back to playing Mantis with the LCG once it was announced. I'd like to be able to play Mantis again, but I would be ok with FFG not introducing new factions in the L5R LCG. 

2 minutes ago, Yoritomo Kazuto said:

So if the Mantis clan was stuck as just a minor clan, but cards for minor clans were available, which great clan would you play the Mantis clan out of?

Good question.  Probably either Crab because I like defending and the Wasp could do well on the walls, or Dragon because our bounty hunters could learn a bit from the Kitsuki!

48 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Please. The Mantis would be working for the Crane, taking that sweet, sweet payola. ;)

The Mantis?  Maybe.  The Wasp?  I don't know...  (And if they stay as Minor Clans, I've gotta stick with the Wasp!)

50 minutes ago, CEOWolf said:

Shouldn't you guys assume these clans are playable? Their logos are avatars gotta mean something

Or not, as the avatars have been available for over two years, and FFG is notoriously tight-lipped at keeping their upcoming plans a secret.

Perhaps they just wanted something L5R-related for L5R players to use on their forums after they bought the IP?

Just now, Gaffa said:

Or not, as the avatars have been available for over two years, and FFG is notoriously tight-lipped at keeping their upcoming plans a secret.

Perhaps they just wanted something L5R-related for L5R players to use on their forums after they bought the IP?

I did not know that just trying to help

1 minute ago, CEOWolf said:

I did not know that just trying to help

Not trying to harsh anyone, it's cool. My apologies if you took it that way.

But this is a company that previewed their brand new Star Wars LCG years ago, decided they hated it, and destroyed it. And then came out with a new LCG a year later. So they're not afraid to change their mind if they feel the game isn't working out right to a rather extreme measure.

So combine that with the fact they're pretty quiet about their upcoming plans until their rather reliable marketing train begins, and I just don't see having all the old major Clan icons being avatars being a sign of upcoming Clan viability. Plus compared to the old game, they're missing some Clans -- Monks, Horde, Ratlings, Toturi's Army, the Spirits, Ninja...

Old L5R had a zillion factions.

It might be pushed somewhere deep in this forum, but I remember a lot of us where asking for any forum avatars when the L5R LCG forum was created. In fact, here it is:

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2015 at 11:12 AM, FFGEvan said:

Hello, Legend of the Five Rings forum community!

We have now updated the available forum avatars. You should be able to access nine new Legend of the Five Rings avatars, depicting the mons of the nine clans featured in the Legend of the Five Rings CCG. 

Enjoy!

FFG Forum Moderator

So, the reason for the nine clans is that they were taken from the CCG at the time of acquisition.

I do wonder with this re-imagining of L5R, will another Minor Clan raise up as the next Great Clan instead of the Mantis this time around. Maybe the MCA in general, if there is one, may be the main focus for Minor Clan love instead of just the Mantis; act as the 8th faction. If the latter happens, then each Minor Clan can still have their own uniqueness / traditions / etc, without having to worry about being absorb by another Minor Clan or faction, and possibly lose what makes them special.  

P.S. There may be some brand new Minor Clans this time around also. I could totally see a Minor Clan themed around the worship of Lord Moon.  lol 

On 4/21/2017 at 5:09 PM, Sparks Duh said:

Mantis are out. So are the Spider. Looks like we just have to deal with playing some other clan.

Who the hell knows what the future may hold for our clans, but for now, I'm excited to play some L5R again!!! With what appears to be more streamlined mechanics with great looking cards! :D

What I would really love for Spider (don't know, maybe Mantis could get something similar) would be for us never to gain a stronghold.  It wouldn't really make sense for the empire to accept a Shadowlands Emperor anyway.  I'd like a sensei (or similar card that changes the stronghold) that in some way supported running Shadowlands out of any stronghold so they could go corrupt and one could confirm their allegiance to the taint.

Story sidenote (and not taking a crack at you at all, just thought I'd spill here), but I also hope we get to keep an emperor for more than a year with no big bads.  I actually liked the idea of Hantei's line running things and I think all the focus on new emperors and big bads became a lazy storytelling schtick.  I think a drama of samurai who give in to the taint to beat eachother in clan wars under a stable rule are more interesting than yet another big bad after yet another inevitable defeat.  Lots of potential for personal clan based drama :)

That's kinda why I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of a story reset. (In fact, I'm disappointed by it but it's not like I have a choice) Sure, it has some good things, but also some bad things. Right now, chances are the Mantis Clan should return, but there's possibilities that it won't, same with the Spider Clan. We do not know what will happen.

For example, knowing what happened in the old storyline, would I really want the Crab Clan to join up the Shadowland and attempt to take the Throne again? I don't think so, which will result a totally different story. Unless FFG will force the Crab Clan to do so, which would be very bad.

That being said, the story is now a totally new one and everything may happen. However, I do think that the Mantis Clan will reappear, maybe different to what it was before. As for the Spider Clan, it will surely be different than what it was, if they ever come back...

Well I will come back into this conversation at the same point I left it with AEG.

When AEG killed the Mantis Clan for Onyx I quit the game.

When FFG bought the IP I started following it again.

If FFG doesn't resurrect the Mantis in 2017/2018 I will abandon L5R.

And honestly at this point if they do something that sh*tty to the Mantis after it's rather horrible history of getting screwed I'm probably out of FFG all together. It'd prove to me they have as little concern for the fanbase as certain members of AEG did over the years.