Sign in to follow this  
TallTonyB

Elves! Moar elves!

16 minutes ago, Hidatom said:

"it will be available sometime in the future" is not a good policy. 

I agree, but I can see why they might do it. It allows a larger variety of upgrades to be put out earlier in the game's life. I hope that if Column Tactics isn't released in the first wave of Daqan expansions, it will be in the next one, rather than having gaps of many waves between when factions have access to different cards.

But @WWHSD makes a good point about the units that can use it. Oathsworn are really the only existing unit it would make sense to put this upgrade on, and even then, it is only one formation size. If the Oathsworn pack was designed before the Elf Expansion, then the card might not have been finalized by then so it isn't in the Oathsworn Cavalry Expansion, but then when would they put in Column Tactics? What if there isn't a columnar unit being released for Daqan in the near future? Do they include Column Tactics in the expansion anyway just so Daqan players have access to that card? But then in the future, what if a Daqan unit comes out that does make good use of Column Tactics? Suddenly, you have to buy two other expansions just to get that card for the new unit. Am I making sense? It seems convoluted.

30 minutes ago, Hidatom said:

"it will be available sometime in the future" is not a good policy. 

I'd much rather have neutral upgrades released with units that they make sense with instead of having FFG feel the need to make sure that the upgrade gets released to in an expansion for each faction in the same wave.

I'd be a little pissed off if FFG put Close Quarters Targeting in any of my Wave 1 Daqan expansions just because they are putting it in the Reanimate Archers expansion. I'd rather have a card that the unit it ships with could actually use (and have a reason for using it instead of another upgrade).

rwm08_card_close-quarters-targeting.png

Edited by WWHSD

1 minute ago, WWHSD said:

I'd much rather have neutral upgrades released with units that they make sense on instead of having FFG feel the need to make sure that the upgrade gets released to in an expansion for each faction in the same wave.

I'd be a little pissed off if FFG put Close Quarters Targeting in any of my Wave 1 Daqan expansions just because they are putting it in the Reanimate Archers expansion. I'd rather have a card that the unit it ships with could actually use (and have a reason for using it instead of another upgrade).

rwm08_card_close-quarters-targeting.png

sure...I see no need for useless upgrades to be put in an army...humans have no ranged attacks right now...but I expect to see it in the first ranged unit the humans get. 
(note I am not complaining about the elf upgrade not being with the undead)

8 minutes ago, Hidatom said:

it seems pretty clear it is NOT in the oathsworn box 
"The Oathsworn Cavalry Unit Expansion also comes with five new upgrade cards that can be used with any army. " And then the article shows ll five of them. 
it might be in the hero box (and would make sense as he is a cavalry unit),  
"six new upgrade cards, four of which will improve any army and two that are exclusive to Lord Hawthorne."

I will hold off from lighting the torches until we see his cards. 

It is a possibility that they might include this card with Hawthorne. The one Oathsworn formation that it would make sense to take this card on is also the smallest formation that could bring Hawthorne as a figure upgrade.

1 minute ago, WWHSD said:

It is a possibility that they might include this card with Hawthorne. The one Oathsworn formation that it would make sense to take this card on is also the smallest formation that could bring Hawthorne as a figure upgrade.

Yeah, but he doesn't appear to come with any Training upgrades, so the only way they include Columnar Tactics is if the spread in the Lord Hawthorne image is inaccurate.

14 minutes ago, Hidatom said:

sure...I see no need for useless upgrades to be put in an army...humans have no ranged attacks right now...but I expect to see it in the first ranged unit the humans get. 
(note I am not complaining about the elf upgrade not being with the undead)

I guess I draw that line at a different spot than you. I'm good with a faction waiting for an upgrade that is only going to be useful in a corner case. The way I look at it is that if I wouldn't be taking the upgrade instead of another upgrade on the units that could take it then it might as well not take up space in an expansion pack.  

3 hours ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

I imagine an Elf infantry command expansion will only come once they have a non-ranged infantry unit option? 

While I'm sure there will be future melee only units - I suspect one of the defining qualities of this faction will be that their "infantry" are archers...

2 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Yeah, but he doesn't appear to come with any Training upgrades, so the only way they include Columnar Tactics is if the spread in the Lord Hawthorne image is inaccurate.

Or it could be in an as yet unannounced human expansion in this wave. We know from ffg experience in the past that every faction gets at least something in a wave. 

No one has really mentioned it, but I quite like the Hunter's Guile card. Boosting the attack of any unit that can equip is nice and it supports that Overgrowth mechanic. I'd actually put it up there for the other Latari units that can use it effectively, like smaller Leonix Rider units (22 points for three dice looks great on paper).

The Column Tactics card really saves the 3 and 6 tray units of the Leonx Riders. My only problem with the card in a Daqan cavalry unit is that it's competing with Moment of Inspiration. Maybe in the 6 tray unit but that's about it.

Fertile Soil might be the worst upgrade in the game so far and the first cut I'd make in a scion unit.

11 minutes ago, Kubernes said:

The Column Tactics card really saves the 3 and 6 tray units of the Leonx Riders. My only problem with the card in a Daqan cavalry unit is that it's competing with Moment of Inspiration. Maybe in the 6 tray unit but that's about it.

I feel like column tactics kinda falls flat for the oathsworn, yeah its nice for one formation but other than that it seems meh and like you said there are a lot of better options like moment, because rolling 4 dice? You are going you are going to get enough surges more often than average too keep inspiration to always be readying that card...it seems much more focused on the elf cavalry... but hey if people get mad about having to wait to have access to a mediocre card for their faction specific faction than cool they are looking for reasons to get angry. I in the other hand will wait for cards neutral or not that offer more utility than one weee little formation that probably not going to be a big staple in games. 

1 minute ago, jek said:

I feel like column tactics kinda falls flat for the oathsworn, yeah its nice for one formation but other than that it seems meh and like you said there are a lot of better options like moment, because rolling 4 dice? You are going you are going to get enough surges more often than average too keep inspiration to always be readying that card...it seems much more focused on the elf cavalry... but hey if people get mad about having to wait to have access to a mediocre card for their faction specific faction than cool they are looking for reasons to get angry. I in the other hand will wait for cards neutral or not that offer more utility than one weee little formation that probably not going to be a big staple in games. 

The idea of access is fine and I appreciate that most of the upgrades seem to be neutral in the pics. However, FFG needs to be careful that one faction doesn't get that all powerful neutral upgrade card that 'hurts' X-Wing a bit.

Hey, you got a problem with me throwing a tantrum and threatening to rage quit?  Why you gotta complain about me complaining?  It's my manifest destiny right to make assumptions without all the facts, and post them on the internet.  Now I have to write about you complaining, about me complaining, about you complaining...  oh, and never get involved in a land dispute in Asia.  :P

43 minutes ago, Drakoniss said:

Why are videos of Developers saying, you will get all the cards you can use in your faction within your faction boxes, somewhere., not enough for people?

To be honest, I'm a little skeptical of it myself. Sure, that may be the designers'/developers' ideal, but the marketing team can probably overrule that at any time, if they so choose.

4 hours ago, Kubernes said:

Fertile Soil might be the worst upgrade in the game so far and the first cut I'd make in a scion unit.

I'm not so sure. The scions can reliably have 3 defense which makes them just as defensive as the carrion lancers, and you have 2+ green runes 50% of the time.

10 hours ago, Muz333 said:

It's a faction neutral card. Would also work well with the Daqan cavalry.

Anything that loses trays would like it. Want at least  Threat 3 but always 4 rerolls? Boom Reanimates, 

4 hours ago, Drakoniss said:

Why are videos of Developers saying, you will get all the cards you can use in your faction within your faction boxes, somewhere., not enough for people?

Don't think the problem here is this spesific card, but the fact that one neutral card is (so far) shown in just one faction box despite what the developers have been saying. Sure, it may show up in other factions later, but we all know that if a really strong card is put in one faction and doesn't show up until a year later in another faction that developer promise is worthless for competitive players. 

Realisticly though, I don't see them adding "all released neutral cards" with the launch of every new faction that is put out in the future. 

22 minutes ago, Babyblue said:

we all know that if a really strong card is put in one faction and doesn't show up until a year later in another faction that developer promise is worthless for competitive players. 

Maybe that's the problem of competitive players, not that of FFG? If you can't wait to have that extra card that makes your composition absolutely maximised then they're right to take your money. It would be unfair on everybody else to lock down the set of upgrades because some players are not happy with only a good army.

There are plenty of us who are happy to replace the maximised lists with good strategy and prefer variety over getting all cards right now

11 minutes ago, Corto said:

Maybe that's the problem of competitive players, not that of FFG? If you can't wait to have that extra card that makes your composition absolutely maximised then they're right to take your money. It would be unfair on everybody else to lock down the set of upgrades because some players are not happy with only a good army.

There are plenty of us who are happy to replace the maximised lists with good strategy and prefer variety over getting all cards right now

While anyone who plays games at stores and tournaments will hate that, I'm actually on board with you. As someone who will collect multiple but likely not all factions, I really don't want to end up with billions of the same unnecessary upgrades over and over. I'd rather get variety. I think they should just give each faction the upgrades it most needs at the time. We're already seeing some silliness with giving trumpets to the elf box.

I suppose the best of both worlds would be to have very minimal neutral upgrades and have most belong to specific factions.

I get both your points. I don't play competitivly at all, but there is no denying that those players bring in a good amount of cash and for them waiting is not an option since by then the meta has changed. 

I don't see why it has to be either variety catered to the unit or giving every faction the neutral cards. Nothing is stopping FFG from adding 1-3 extra cards, and it's not like it's a huge expensive component.