Sign in to follow this  
Wispur

I'm worried the game doesn't have enough factions at launch...

1 hour ago, Hijodecain said:

4 copies sold in my FLGS (Spain). Today I want to run some demos with my own copy. People is interested but they want to join only when the game is popular.

How do they expect the game to get popular if they don't play?

51 minutes ago, Orcdruid said:

How do they expect the game to get popular if they don't play?

That's the chicken and the egg as someone says before. 

Anyway, 100€ is Spain is quite a lot of a medium salary. So not all the people can try it. And just a copy of everything announced is a total budget of 235€. 

I totally agree, even though I've still bought 3 core sets (which i now sort of regret). The difference I think between Xwing and this is that Xwing only take a few models to play where as Rune Wars is a larger investment. It is risky to wait a year for only 4 factions. Will the interest still be there? We'll have to wait and see, but I agree it isn't worth the risk

I've been thinking about this issue and came up with another problem. Admittedly, this is a much more whiny issue, but maybe some of you will relate.

By releasing the next two factions separately, we are more likely to see the "new hotness" syndrome at work. In other words, everyone will have a decent grasp on the undead and humans and will really want to try out the new factions. This means that when the factions release, there will be a spike in the number of players using the new faction, which results in less overall diversity. (And a personal problem I have -- I don't like playing what is currently popular.)

Granted, this doesn't affect me because I don't even have a local scene developed yet. Still, I'd like to see some balance in the number of people playing each faction, but I think there are going to be a lot of players jumping on the new factions when they're released.

One thing I like about Runewars and all of FFG's core/wave 1 releases (and perhaps its just me because I don't play competatively) is that you don't have to wait for the early expansions before you can use them.  Most of the cards get spoiled so you can proxy them and start experimenting.  Its kind of part of the reason I went 3 core sets since the majority of the stuff coming out you can already get the models, you just don't have the cards which is easily solvable with a printer.  And even if you do play competative, you can't use the cards in competition anyway until its released.

To me this is a kindness that FFG does, maybe unintentionally but I think its great.  It will be the same with Elves and I imagine the 4th faction as well.  I'll already be using expansion cards in my next game :)

Edited by BigKahuna

50 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I've been thinking about this issue and came up with another problem. Admittedly, this is a much more whiny issue, but maybe some of you will relate.

By releasing the next two factions separately, we are more likely to see the "new hotness" syndrome at work. In other words, everyone will have a decent grasp on the undead and humans and will really want to try out the new factions. This means that when the factions release, there will be a spike in the number of players using the new faction, which results in less overall diversity. (And a personal problem I have -- I don't like playing what is currently popular.)

Granted, this doesn't affect me because I don't even have a local scene developed yet. Still, I'd like to see some balance in the number of people playing each faction, but I think there are going to be a lot of players jumping on the new factions when they're released.

Perhaps you're on to something - FFG would get more sales from people buying the 'new hotness', whereas releasing them all at once would encourage people to stick to one faction. The current method gets people buying the core set, perhaps even if they are waiting for a different faction. And people that want a faction in the core set may also buy into another faction when it releases because it's new and cool.

On the other hand, there's a good chance that some people will want to try a new faction later on down the line anyway, so maybe it all evens out? I know that after I get a good Waiqar army going, I'm going to start eyeing those Daqan expansion packs.

2 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

My guess is that the new hotness will be Daqan+Latari thanks to Kari.

Still, a six month window of initial released I think is pretty good. The 3-Box Forum Nerds (Like me! :D) are never a good sample of what the typical player will do.

Many of my hardcore minis-gamer friends have still not taken a first look at  Runewars. With summer tournament season ahead, a new edition of 40k about to drop, and still fairly recent new editions for Infinity and Warmahordes, not to mention a lot great recent X-Wing realeses, there's a ton of competition and distraction in the minis market right now. I don't expect RW to really gain legs for the first year.

But I think that's alright. It's hard to remember now, but X-Wing took a really long time to develop a competitive community. I ran an X-Wing tournament on Labor Day weekend the same year X-Wing launched. The FFG tournament rule pack hadn't even been announced until a few weeks beforehand, and I think we had 12 people show up for a tournament at Colorado's biggest gaming convention. Now you regularly get 12 or more people show up for a 60 point, Tuesday night mini store tournament. Descent 2nd edition turned into FFG 's flagship fantasy product, but it didn't get its first expansion for over a year.

I understand the anxiety of those who worry that the game will expire if it doesn't get legs in the first couple months. We've all seen amazingly promising looking games flounder, like Robotech RPG tactics that went from breaking Kickstarter records to still not having a single expansion over two years later. And while the publisher promises to deliver eventually, they have never posted a plausible plan for wave 1, meanwhile the partnership between the publisher and the company writing the game had dissolved in acrimony.

My prediction is that this time next year we're all going to be knee deep in models, tournament lists, and angry spouses. We'll all have plenty of opponents and a community filled with the classic stars: the super painter, the guy who never shows up anymore, the annoying kid, and That Guy... How does he even know that we're getting together to play right now? And we early adapters will be old salts, spinning legends about the glory days when the game was actually good, and balanced, and didn't have those stupid models. Oh, that bright horizon is just around the corner.

4 hours ago, Shauni55 said:

I totally agree, even though I've still bought 3 core sets (which i now sort of regret). The difference I think between Xwing and this is that Xwing only take a few models to play where as Rune Wars is a larger investment. It is risky to wait a year for only 4 factions. Will the interest still be there? We'll have to wait and see, but I agree it isn't worth the risk

You should regret nothing ;) This game is better with 3 cores. You have more options.

3 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

The real question is who wouldn't play Uthuk? :P

I think the new units released for the existing factions and the fact people have bought a lot of stuff already will keep the Daqan and Waiqar popular. I mean when the Barrow Wyrm gets released I'll probably play as Waiqar every other game.

8 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

The real question is who wouldn't play Uthuk? :P

I think the new units released for the existing factions and the fact people have bought a lot of stuff already will keep the Daqan and Waiqar popular. I mean when the Barrow Wyrm gets released I'll probably play as Waiqar every other game.

Sam Healey from the Dice Tower, likely for one. The theme won't appeal to everyone (of course I'm buying the hell out of it )

8 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Oh, no I can relate...

It is my fervent hope that FFG temper this with "cool new hotness" releases for existing factions at the same time as the new factions drop/expand.

Fingers crossed (very tightly)...

The biggest issue I'm running into is that they have already announced the Latari. There are several people in my area that have decided to wait it out figuring that the release cant be that far away if they are showing models. If they follow some release time table where it takes 6 months from announcement to tabletop a lot of people are going to forget about Runewars and move on to something else. Having only 2 factions at start is fine. But if you announce stuff and show the product you have to have a fast turnaround.

5 hours ago, DaShamrockKid said:

The biggest issue I'm running into is that they have already announced the Latari. There are several people in my area that have decided to wait it out figuring that the release cant be that far away if they are showing models. If they follow some release time table where it takes 6 months from announcement to tabletop a lot of people are going to forget about Runewars and move on to something else. Having only 2 factions at start is fine. But if you announce stuff and show the product you have to have a fast turnaround.

Its a valid point and concern, but miniature games aren't board games, it takes years to fully develop a multi-faction table top game.  Its like this for all miniature games.  There really isn't a whole lot FFG can do about it short of holding the entire game back and to do so for this one complaint would be foolish.  Its better that we get the two factions now and they add factions as they go then hold the games release back for years to put them all out at the same time.

9 hours ago, DaShamrockKid said:

I feel like a lot of the initial 6 month from reveal to release was because they were still working on a lot of mechanics to make sure they worked properly.  While yes there is still a decent amount of balancing involved in a new faction, it should not be the same pace as they had with the initial launch.  Also it already looks like the expansions are going to release close enough to their intended time frame that I feel comfortable that we will see the Latari and Uthuk early to mid Q3...

9 hours ago, DaShamrockKid said:

You can tell your friends that Latari will be out soon. You only have to scroll to the bottom of the page and read the italic type to know when.

But I've basically had the same experience: a lot of people are hyped about the elves. I've heard at least half a dozen people in person say they want to play but are holding off for the elves. You can read a ton of similar comments elsewhere on this forum.

Too bad more of them aren't like me.  The elves sucked me in, I did 2 days of research and decided to get a core, now I'm hooked.  I bought the core so when the elves arrive, and a fourth faction I can host epic game nights.  Now I'm contemplating a second core HAHA

2 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

Too bad more of them aren't like me.  The elves sucked me in, I did 2 days of research and decided to get a core, now I'm hooked.  I bought the core so when the elves arrive, and a fourth faction I can host epic game nights.  Now I'm contemplating a second core HAHA

if you like the two core factions and can afford it second core is definitely the way to go!

Yeah the original plan was for 4 100 point armies in a 4 player game.  I think I will push for full on 2 player 200 point games.  

Plus im enjoying getting back to painting another surprise

3 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

Yeah the original plan was for 4 100 point armies in a 4 player game.  I think I will push for full on 2 player 200 point games.  

200 point games are a whole other glorious monster, I have been doing the 200point games for the battle reports but then have to drop back into the 100pt skirmish games for the league nights at my FLGS since, not everyone has been able to meet up with their trade partners yet and only have core sized armies...I'm going to end up having to buy everything I realize now...the game is just too much fun and I want all the options...

2 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

I'm really partial to this idea, myself. And if you want the 200-point feel, just pair up different factions in temporary alliances for each game.

I'm jealous of you guys with your established communities already playing. 
Here people are either not interested or "I'll wait until my faction comes out and I'll start playing then, if you guys are still playing"

The lack of factions and units is a problem for me and a lot of others, I think. It was a similar situation when Armada launched. I think X-Wing probably doesn't help since it's already well established and quicker.

The community doesn't seem to be there right now and with FFG's slow release I'm not sure there ever will be one. As the old saying goes, you only get one chance to make a first impression. 

X wing is quicker? Do mean quicker gameplay? Because I would disagree on that.  Runewars has an activation phase were movement and combat all happen in one phase were x wing is move then combat.  I have found both games take about the same amount of time to play.

I do agree x wing has a ton of choices as it is what 5 years old, 6 years old? Versus less than one month old.  I am confident this game has its place :)  and that place is on my table.   

Yeah I'm going to side with @Ywingscum RMG is much faster play than Xwing...so if game time was your comment that is incorrect...but also I think saying they have already made a bad first impression with the launch is a bit of a stretch.

Yes, they could have launched the 4 factions at the same time, which would mean that this game would not be out yet but w/e.  It also would not have made sense then to have the 2 player starter, just launch army boxes and the essentials pack. Not really too big of a deal but it would have increased the price roughly $50...I get the frustration that there are only 2 factions but there is a lot more hypothetical doom and gloom than actual doom and gloom.  Some groups will not play until more factions, some communities won't adopt it at all. Unfortunately this game will not be played everywhere, and not all stores or areas will have communities for it, but that is how miniature games go they are more popular in one area than they are in another...I think they game is great and well thought out, and I think even if you only want to play one of the wave 2 factions, picking up one of the cores is a good idea since you will just be able to ebay all the models from it after the fact and you get to play the game in the months prior to their release...