Sign in to follow this  
Wispur

I'm worried the game doesn't have enough factions at launch...

Overall, I think FFG dropped the ball pretty hard when it comes to the number of factions at launch.

Fantasy players tend to want to play *their* faction. Elf players want to play Elfy people, not Undead.  Dwarf players want to play Dwarves, not Elfy people, etc.
Having only two factions at launch may have worked for Star Wars where there were only two major factions in the lore, but for many Fantasy players, 2 factions are not nearly enough.  Most fantasy players expect a broader selection of factions available to choose from so they can find the one that calls to them.

I know it's too late to do anything about the missed launch opportunity, it's just kinda frustrating to see a potentially great game stumble so bad right out of the gates.  It makes me worry that FFG really doesn't understand this new market they're trying to dip into.  At the very least, the other two factions should have been the very next release after the core set.

At this point, they'll almost need to do a "Relaunch" event in a year when they have at least 4 factions available just to get attention again from all the people that have overlooked the game due to it not having a faction that caught their interest.

----------------------------------------------
(P.S.  I'm lucky, because Undead are my faction in most miniatures games, but I worry a lot of other people will give the game a pass simply because it doesn't have a faction that calls to them)

it will also piss off people that want to play a race that currently is not even hinted at being playable (say, orcs for me) and they suddenly pop up. I sincerely doubt there will only be 4 factions unless this game bombs hard.

If my beloved greenskins appear im going to be rather torn...i'd have plenty of humans by then

I'm more interested in elves and orcs but I'm building and playing daqan until then, but I agree it was definitely a missed opportunity by ffg

even if they had small starter packs for the other factions like a hero and 2 types of units it would give Jose people something to work on etc 

Keep in mind that WHF and Warmahordes didn't start with all of their factions either. FFG is definitely wanting to create tournament play for Runewars, and they are targeting two factions to get balanced first. I think if they want a strong tournament scene, it will be important to get balancing right. This lets them get all the basic rules problems (like what actually is a Ranged Effect and needs to use LOS) before they start adding in more dimension and options within the game. They've even prioritized a few minor expansions before the new factions so that they can make sure the game scales properly. I think FFG is being very cautious and careful about making sure they create a balanced field with iron-out rules before people begin playing in tournaments. That said, we have to compare the differences in the existing XWing vs Armada dynamic. Armada is a less popular game, which doesn't draw a large casual scene the way XWing does, partly because of the cost and complexity. I worry about this game not having a strong Casual scene, and that driving sales and popularity to draw people into the hobby. I'm already trying to understand the rules well enough to start designing something to be the equivalent of HotAC for Runewars, though at some point I'm sure I will need to hand it off to someone with better design skills. I'm thinking something along the lines of Mordheim/WyrdWars, but perhaps with a roleplay element, which allows people to use both Runewars and their Descent minis to play, and draws people from both crowds into a casual scene of Runewars play.

The one good sign is that they have 4 factions in the lore book, and the third of the four is already announced. No brand new game starts with every faction or every model in a faction available at launch. Now, I wish FFG was moving faster to get a broader appeal going, but this is pretty fast for FFG. It's a new arena for them, where it's not an established IP with basically two factions. Nobody batted an eye with Xwing having only two factions at launch (and even now like only 2.5)...but that was Star Wars.

We'll see how it plays out. I predict Elves will hit as listed, and then we'll get the Uthuk in spring next year. What they do need to do is ensure that the elves and future factions hit the release content level of the current factions FAST once they do release. I've got a player content to use my figs to play for now, but waiting on Elves or something future to buy in as well. He's not turned off the game at all, just waiting on FFG to get him what he wants to play.

4 factions by the end of the year isn't too bad. It seems bad coming from xwing because of the crazy fast release schedule, whereas this game is going for more longevity. Most full miniatures games dont hit their stride for the first year or so anyway. Besides, stuff coming out so quick and bloating the game is what is turning me off of xwing after 3.5 years of playing.

If I had a choice of two factions to start with, it would be elves and undead. But Daqan are nice sculpts, I love the way their cavalry and golems play, so I'm not complaining too much.

Basically, we're early birds, aren't we? We won't get to jump into a full, complex and rich game, like those who'll be attracted later on in the game's life cycle. I guess we'll be able to grumble about how Wave 3 ruined the purity of the early game, and how if you haven't played with just core sets, you don't really understand RMG :)

I get that most miniatures games don't launch with a large selection of factions.  
But they generally start with more than 4, and add more as time goes on.

Starting with only 2 leaves a LOT of players out in the cold when it comes to picking a faction they like thematically.
Sure, more will be added over the course of the next year, but I worry that by then, the damage will have already been done, and potential players will have already moved on.

And it certainly isn't an issue with needing to balance stuff first before releasing more factions.  
Almost every miniatures game ever has been able to launch with at least a handful of factions without exploding.
Multiple factions at launch is the bare-minimum standard for the genre.

X-wing/Armada being the one exception I can think of, thanks to it's Strong 2-Faction IP.
But just like Star Wars fans may have a strong loyalty to Light side or Dark side, Fantasy players frequently have a strong loyalty to a racial or thematic concept.
For example, I generally gravitate towards undead.   If undead had not been a starting faction in this game, I'm 100% positive I would have given it a pass.
Some people want to play with Elves, Dwarves, Demons, Orcs, whatever, and that's it.  That's their faction/theme.

By not even trying to have them in at launch (or at least near launch), I worry FFG may have shot themselves in the foot by leaving a large number of players out in the cold.

War Machine launched with 4 starter boxes.  Most other games launch with more than that.  This is a pretty big hurdle for a new game, because if you have no interest in playing humans or undead, you're not going to start at all.

FFG should at least confirm what factions will be available within the year, and consider announcing any other factions coming down the line.  In addition to elves, we should feel pretty confident that the chaos faction will be out in the first year.  By not even announcing them, players on the fence might think that FFG doesn't HAVE other factions planned and in the pipe well along enough to even announce them.  But if they were to announce say an orc and dwarf faction, those players would at least maybe buy a core to try the game out now, and at the least stay tuned in to how things are going until those forces are available.

1 hour ago, Waywardpaladin said:

Yeah, my significant other isn't terribly interested in buying in until she can get her elves.

Filthy pointy-ears.

I'm almost always an undead guy (Necrons, Cryx, etc.) so Waiqar is a hit straight out of the box for me, but I'll admit the Latari elves have me salivating, and I'm usually ambivalent about elves.

Edited by Deathseed

21 minutes ago, kingbobb said:

FFG should at least confirm what factions will be available within the year, and consider announcing any other factions coming down the line.  In addition to elves, we should feel pretty confident that the chaos faction will be out in the first year. 

We already know this. Daquan, Waiqar, Elves and Uthuk.

Edited by Toqtamish

1 minute ago, Ywingscum said:

I am happy to start small.  And enjoy it a little at a time, keeps me wanting more.

That's assuming you're getting everything, but if you know you only have the finances to buy into a single army, it's tough to wait over a year since the game's announcement before you can start playing -- especially when there are tons of other people already playing.

But you rich folks who are buying multiples of every product are the ones who are going to keep this game alive, rather than the enthusiastic-but-poor people like me, so if spreading the new factions out gets more people buying each box, then I'll just bite my tongue and wait in anticipation.

I don't really have much of an opinion on the topic (at the moment), but for me personally when it came to Warhammer Fantasy for example I played Tomb Kings and with W40k, I played Necrons, so obviously Skeletons (undead) are kind of mine thing, I guess Im lucky with Runewars.

I can say this, FFG is not a miniatures game publisher, despite the fact that they have 3 on the market.  They are board game publisher and while Runewars, X-Wing and Armada have all the fixings of a miniatures game, in their heart and soul they are board games (design/mechanically speaking). The reality of the situation is that Runewars is really not trying to capture a miniatures game audience, they are trying to capture their existing fans which are again, traditionally board and card gamers.  Runewars was made for FFG fans who love games like Game of Thrones the card and board game, Twilight Imperium, Lord of the Rings the card and board game.. people who took their first steps into miniature games with X-Wing and Armada and are now being asked for the first time to venture into new territory again.

Its true that Warhammer Fantasy and other hardcore miniature games (and their gamers) might not be entirely satisfied with Runewars at release but if there is one thing that FFG is good at its supporting their own product lines.  I suspect that Runewars will enjoy a long, healthy support system with multiple factions countless expansions and constant and relenting releases.  This is the FFG way and for better or worse, they cater to their audience first and every one else a distant second.