Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzywookie

The HWK-290 needs a nerf.

We had a mixed faction tournament Saturday night at the lgs. It was a hoot seeing these three ship squads. 100 points all small based ships. The winner went 4-0 with a Jan Ors HWK, Fel and a Scum Y-Wing with a TLT. After seeing what he did to his opponents, I might agree that the HWK needs a nerf. At least in a mixed faction squad.

One of the few ships were ALL named pilots, six total, are useful. I feel like it should have one more shield for some reason, but other than that, it is fine. Hell, I feel the turret was always the intent, so it could have a zero primary attack base. I think they left it one die just because of the old damage deck.

Kyle and Jan are both fantastic jank engines. Torkil and Roark are useful in 100pt, but can absolutely change a game in Epic. Palob is a complete ******* and everyone hates him. Dace is probably the least used, but having ion and the damage output of a tlt is not to be scoffed.

On 4/20/2017 at 11:53 PM, Grivoire said:

Yeah seriously. Why does HWK and U-Wing have a single white turn maneuver?? They shouldn't be able to turn at all, at least make it red FFG! The Lambda Shuttle is a perfect example of a balanced ships. They're only supposed to go straight and exit the battlefield from opposing side!

Following this logic, rebels should also get their own palp-like card. Fair is fair after all!

Stop. Just...no. Ok?

Assuming you're an imp player, you should be ok knowing your faction is about to get the MOST ridiculous TLT carrier the game has on offer.

With TLT having been addressed, point #2 is that the u-wing and hwk MUST be able to get to places without having their turns being red maneuvers. Rebel support cards and abilities have usually been action AND range dependent.

Shuttles and imp cards? Not as much... 

44 minutes ago, Elrodthealbino said:

One of the few ships were ALL named pilots, six total, are useful. I feel like it should have one more shield for some reason, but other than that, it is fine. Hell, I feel the turret was always the intent, so it could have a zero primary attack base. I think they left it one die just because of the old damage deck.

Kyle and Jan are both fantastic jank engines. Torkil and Roark are useful in 100pt, but can absolutely change a game in Epic. Palob is a complete ******* and everyone hates him. Dace is probably the least used, but having ion and the damage output of a tlt is not to be scoffed.

While not entirely convinced that Dace is scoff proof, I do whole heartedly agree about the other pilots.

2 hours ago, Elrodthealbino said:

All very true. But dial is still a bit disappointing for a "fast and maneuverable" ship.

And Blaster Turret (the turret meant for it, needs the focus spend requirement removed). Then it'll be just right. :)

2 hours ago, Stevey86 said:

All very true. But dial is still a bit disappointing for a "fast and maneuverable" ship.

I designed a homebrew title for it (Nomad's Pride, I found it online) that helps with this.  It allows you to increase the speed of your revealed maneuver by one.  Also, if you reveal a 4-straight, you may perform a K-turn instead.  Drastically improves the maneuverability of the ship, for a price.

11 hours ago, terrymac94 said:

Following this logic, rebels should also get their own palp-like card. Fair is fair after all!

Stop. Just...no. Ok?

Assuming you're an imp player, you should be ok knowing your faction is about to get the MOST ridiculous TLT carrier the game has on offer.

With TLT having been addressed, point #2 is that the u-wing and hwk MUST be able to get to places without having their turns being red maneuvers. Rebel support cards and abilities have usually been action AND range dependent.

Shuttles and imp cards? Not as much... 

Are you seriously responding to my comment above?

Sir, with all due respect I don't think you understand the nature of this thread.

My apologies @Grivoire

Yes I am (now) aware of the nature :)

Being on west coast, people had had problems with HWKs in their local meta awhile back when MW came out, and it seems like everyday some noob gets on the forum after their 1st couple of games and complains about xyz ship or card... gets old

1 hour ago, terrymac94 said:

My apologies @Grivoire

Yes I am (now) aware of the nature :)

Being on west coast, people had had problems with HWKs in their local meta awhile back when MW came out, and it seems like everyday some noob gets on the forum after their 1st couple of games and complains about xyz ship or card... gets old

Psst! my favorite pilot is Torkil Mux and my main competitive list has him in it ;).

My post was more of a complain that the HWK should actually have better dials, at least a K-turn is good. Or, they can errata the primary value to "2" now that ffg got their hands dirty on hard erratas :)

Oh and yes you guessed it, I'm imperial pilot by heart and scum pilot by expertise. I am more interested in the unguided rockets that will buff TIE Bombers and Punishers, along with the yet-to-be revealed minelayer systems upgrade card than the prospect of a Quad imperial TLT. that'd be too boring to fly.

Edited by Grivoire

Back when I use to play x-wing exclusively.  I could beat everyone. Except for this one guy who flew four hwk's and ioned all my ships off the board consistenly. Nothing more iinfuriating than that

Edited by Psionics313

An HWK in Villains of the Aturi Cluster used its primary on a TIE STriker and scored a crit - Direct Hit.

Strangely, he was one of the two survivors (I was the other!) because he spent the next few turns running like a *****.

Palob has been one of my favorites for long time, it effects highly to your opponents  decicions. Tlt is always good option for him, no one wants to keep him at range 1-2 and with that turret not in range 3 either. Scum has heeps of good and very cheap options for crew, my favorite is Greedo for 1 point, the fact is that with Palobs skill it is treated like Biggs, it will get blown away pretty fast, but it gives your other ships time to do some damage and Greedo gives nice crits.

Also Outlaw Tech is good for helping with red moves!

Edited by Zazaa

Just wanted to add this here, not so in to nerfing so sorry :ph34r:

HWK-290: · Palob Godalhi (20)
     Attanni Mindlink (1)
     Twin Laser Turret (6)
     · Greedo (1)

Protectorate Starfighter: · Fenn Rau (28)
     Attanni Mindlink (1)
     Autothrusters (2)
     Concord Dawn Protector (1)

Lancer-class Pursuit Craft: · Asajj Ventress (37)
     Attanni Mindlink (1)
     · Latts Razzi (2)

-- TOTAL ------- 100p. --

I feel like it needs the following:

1. Firesprays Dial

2. Another red die

3. Default Boost

4. And a Jedi Knight title that removes the turret/360 arc and adds....another attack die for a total of 3.

Edited by Boom Owl