VernonBroche

Do some people seem overly whiny/negative about this game?

Rusty was a big part of the community for a long time...he invested blood, sweat and tears to this game and community.  The information dump will take time for people to fully absorb...I hope Rusty is able to come to terms with the new game/continuity as he is an asset to the community.

2 hours ago, VernonBroche said:

Hello, 

I have literally no experience with L5R or the Rokugan setting but I have been reading comments on the AMA and Youtube that would make you think FFG personally killed the children of some L5R fans. As an FFG fan I'm interested in exploring each new game they make, but having no history or prior knowledge of L5R beyond the fact that it was a fantastic eastern setting, I can't tell if the established playerbase from the old games are eagerly anticipating this game or not. What is your point of view of the general reception since the reveal article?

Uh, welcome to L5R, the game where a factions playerbase actually accused AEG of conspiring to screw them out of a story prize because their (internet tallied) information did not match up with the information the company had.

1 hour ago, BigKahuna said:

I think here on the FFG forums, in particular people coming from other FFG Living Card game experience don't fully realize how big L5R actually is.  Its one of he highest grossing/selling LCG in existence ranking just below giants like Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. In terms of card games, there is nothing in the existing lineup at FFG that even compares.  It might be a bit more realistic to consider how big of a deal it would be if FFG was making the next edition of Magic The Gathering or Pokemon.  

In short, Its a pretty big deal that FFG is making the next edition of L5R and a pretty big responsibility in terms of existing IP's.   They are taking on a pretty sizable fan base as well.  Its hard to estimate how sales translate to fan base size, but its fair to say after a decade of existing as a CCG, the fan base is likely fairly large.  

I can imagine some fans are going to be quite apprehensive, and while it might be little comfort to them, in particular if they aren't familiar FFG, but for what its worth, I think they are in about as good a-hands as one could be in.  FFG knows how to make great games, they know how to support them long term and if there is anyone that can successfully etch in a new era for the game it will be them.

It was also the last non-Magic CCG from the first wave of them that lasted. And now it has passed as well.

2 hours ago, VernonBroche said:

This is interesting. Can you explain why L5R is so important to you? I never knew people connected this deeply with it in the past, but I guess the setting expanded across a CCG, and PnP RPG and some other things?

L5R has allot of meaning for me because most of the my best friends in life have come about because or with L5R as an experience. More than that it is something that other people that I would have no other reasonable connection to in life because of our differences, are good friends because we formed a relationship off of this thing that we are both passionate about. 

There is also an intense focus on community...the game is about community not the community about the game. In L5R you are rokugan, and have the ability to shape the direction of the game, in some big ways and some small ways. 

I am excited that the game is getting a reboot. I hope the game gets better and the community grows in the terms of old and new people. Quite frankly thats why i quit l5r in ivory after playing the game since emerald edition, was that the community had become really toxic online and elsewhere. There were legacy problems and space created for negative attitudes because of cynicism and entitlement. 

Now the game is different enough to be new and just enough the same to return home to. 

Just remember that there are two rules in L5R that will never change.

1) when you go to an event you better well be shouting banzai!
2) represent your clan...try hards need not apply

2 hours ago, cielago said:

theres absolutely an element of this community that responds to absolutely everything, EVERYTHING, with fury and propriety madness. or smug snark. both are exhausting to try and respond to.

I can't help but feel hurt when you talk about me this way! :(

no ones like(s) Spider.

I can't help but to feel sorry for you and the way your brain tries to get you through life...

As someone who played this game since he was 15 back in the Imperial Edition days and never missed an Edition, met his wife and most of his dearest friends directly because of this game, and actually ended up designing the game and working for AEG, I like to think I am one of those people with a vested emotional attachment to L5R. I worked so hard on the Onyx Edition stuff, poured my heart and soul into cards that will never be played with and stories and characters I created from Ivory on that have now been effectively wiped from existence. I can tell you there's a pain from that that doesn't easily go away.

The truth is, outside of Magic and probably Pokémon, the CCG model was failing and the game was dying at AEG slowly and painfully due to bad marketing decisions and various other issues, despite the best efforts of a lot of talented and dedicated people (mostly unpaid volunteers).

I'm honestly happy it will be able to continue, that new people will have a chance to enjoy this world, and I'm really looking forward to sitting down and playing this game with old friends when it comes out. And, of course, teaching my son someday, who pretty much only exists because this game did.

It took me most of these two years to come to this point, and I hope everyone else can come to feel this way about it.

Edited by Tetsuro

AEG gave up.  The fact that unpaid players were basically running the show was a major part of the problem.  Honestly, absolutely no disrespect to those that didn't want it to go away and were active in keeping it alive, but when you print-to-play because you can't get product out and then errata cards while at the printer before you can even physically handle the cards, there's a problem.  I am so excited that a great business has taken control of and breathed new life into this game.  We all just need to start getting back together In the spring and enjoying ourselves!

3 hours ago, Mirumoto Saito said:

Well. Rusty Priske certainly seems so! :P

What was his reaction? I haven't seen it.
Personally I've played since the tail end of Gold to the start of Samurai, when most of the play group moved to different states and our local game shops died. I have a closet full of EE that I've played maybe five times? But L5R is my absolute favorite game. I'm not as invested in the story line as others are, and I don't have the years of playing that a lot of you do, but I made some amazing friends with this game and learned a lot about strategy gaming in the process. I'm glad it still exists, especially in this new form (by the time AEG sold the IP I think the horse had gotten away from the cart design wise). That being said, I can understand (and have met a few) people who identify so strongly with the game that they'd react negatively to the LCG, even if it hasn't been released yet. That's just a part of nerdy nature.

I think there arte some tough pills to swallow for some older players, the thing is, what would they have been happy with, and would that same vision make the next old player happy? As an original player from the start of the game, I am happy with what I have seen, even more so, I am happy that FFG took on the IP and made a new game. Wasn't a fane of how AEG handled the product towards the end.

2 minutes ago, C2K said:

Unicorn.  Its Altansenrei, or something like that.  I would have preferred Yokatsu.  :lol:

ohh that is a rough one

and look at it like this hopefully this time around Yokatsu doesn't single-handedly bone the entire clan by making them all Kolat

The possibilities for telling the old story in a new way are endless. They have a ton of material to work with, I'm very excited as a fan about the possibilities and also so jealous they actually get to do it.

I mean, who hasn't run an L5R Clan Wars "alternate universe" campaign? 

5 minutes ago, Tetsuro said:

I mean, who hasn't run an L5R Clan Wars "alternate universe" campaign? 

But this is not a Clan Wars "alternative universe".  What they write will be canon and will be the story going forward,  If this does go into Clan War, they will be overwriting the previous Clan War.  Sure they might be judged against the old, but it won't matter because what FFG writes  is the truth. 

Now when i look back on the old game, i realize how much mechanical baggage it had. Honor/dishonor struggle, turtling and army stalemate, explaining the rules to new players ("why cant i just attack your personality with mine, im tired of counting"), keyword MESS on the cards, goldscrew, holdings all over the place, snowballing, honor requirements, enlightment victory (the way to achieve it, clout/conspiracy/poison tokens...

I'm so glad these things are streamlined.

Changes are hard for people.